User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: MBTI & Scrabble

MBTI
    ENTP

Default MBTI & Scrabble

I'm a serious Scrabble geek. Actually, not quite that serious, but I love to play it, given the opportunity and some willing opponents. My friend Dave goes to a Scrabble club - I'm not quite that geeky (though admit I'd go if it weren't for the kids). I have been a few times, but very sporadically and not for a few months.

Anyway, the weekend before last at Scrabble club, they had a tournament. It lasted all weekend. There were 46 competitors. Now, Dave told me about this and I was intrigued. At the next group meeting, I went along with him and gave everyone tests and info about MBTI (which I got from my friend Rob, who does MBTI and Enneagram as part of his living) and asked all the people who had competed in the tournament to spend the week looking over this stuff in their own time, taking the tests and self-confirming. Rob offered his phone number for anyone to call who wasn't sure. I'm going this evening to Scrabble Club to collect the results.

I think it'll be very interesting to see how the MBTI test results correlate with their performance at the tournament. Admittedly, they'd have to do more tournaments for the resulting statistics to be more worthwhile, but just out of curiousity, I thought I'd ask people here what their expectations are as to which types they think did best/worst, and also their gaming tactics. I'll ask as many people as I can tonight, and observe for myself, the tactics.

Anyway, I'll come back later with the results, but it'd be fun if y'all would have a guess before I do
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Currently alive in my family are two INFPs and an ISTJ who enjoy a good Scrabble game. The three of us actually get pretty compettitive when it comes to playing though, it's crazy
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

My proficiency with Scrabble is fairly balanced against my ability with Wheel of Fortune - moderately poor.

I think my primary problem is the level of disinterest I have in both. I have difficulty seeing the creative worth (of which there is an abundance) in Scrabble and think this malaise probably paralyzes my ability to succeed.

Now, Jeopardy -- fantastic game. I am giving serious consideration to auditioning.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

I'm not sure what the scrabble tournament results would be, although I'd guess they'd be mostly N's. (??) Maybe mostly NP's?? eh...who knows.

Only based on my very small sample size - I myself am a total Scrabble geek (and get very competitive with it), I've seen on this forum that there are a few other INFJ scrabble geeks, my brother is one, and is an INTP, and an ex-boyfriend really got into it, and he was an ENfP.

MBTI
    ENTP

Well, Dave's very good indeed and did pretty well in the tournament and he's ISTJ, so it's not all N's

I should point out that there were different sections for 2, 3 and 4 player games and many players competed in all three. Be interesting to see which types preferred what kind of game.

Right, I'm off - back later with the results! Talk amongst yourselves though, cos the more people predict now, the more fun it'll make the results!
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

MBTI
    INTJ

My linguistic intelligence is too poor to enjoy word games.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

IxTx, with a grain of salt.

MBTI
    INFP

I enjoy and am really good at Scrabble, Wheel of Fortune, Word Finds, Crossword (even Jeopardy and Trivia Pursuit)... any kind of word puzzles.
    -Sandy
    I - 75% N - 55% F - 55% P - 61%
    Enneagram 4w5

There is love... in the red letters
    There is truth... in the red letters

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I love scrabble...I'm completely addicted to the scrabulous application on facebook. I'd consider myself an average player--I win almost all games against random facebook people but only about 60-70% of the ones against my friends, who are all quite smart.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I love scrabble...I'm completely addicted to the scrabulous application on facebook. I'd consider myself an average player--I win almost all games against random facebook people but only about 60-70% of the ones against my friends, who are all quite smart.
    Totally - same here. My brother beats me sorta 50% of the time, and my friend Joe just whups everyone's ass every time. I do have the satisfaction though, of Joe being ENTP

Well, I'm back, with the results of the tournament by MTBI type - and thanks to an extremely industrious ESTJ at the club, I have all kinds of other statistics as well, including club rankings, and each player's game history and type.

Would anyone be surprised to discover that the club's top player (by a long way) is a woman of over 70, who types as INFJ?

I'll find a way to get the tables of results up here (he gave them to me on a memory stick - what a guy!) momentarily...