First 12345 Last

Thread: MBTI & Scrabble

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Cats need not fear. Many empty boxes and sunny ledges for you (to make up for my frequent boastings over your lack of opposable thumbs).
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Just a little math - the probability of there being no ENFJ is about 18%. I'm more surprised at the ISFP - only a 3% chance of that.
    That would be the case if we were talking about a random sample of the population from the checkout at Walmart, but we're not, we're talking about a very particular niche club, a special interest, where I don't think it would be expected that there'd be the same spectrum/proportion of types as in the population in general.

Also take into account that it's not only interest in the game or the club that brings some people there - sometimes they're just there to keep others company, or because they're with a friend who's persuaded them. Many who I talked to said that was how they ended up there, and some said they wouldn't otherwise have either found it or been interested. However, they all said that once they started going regularly, they were surprised with how much they enjoyed it, despite themselves, and became regular attenders.

The INFJ super Scrabble queen said she only started coming back in the 80's when she used to make the tea during the interval, but used to stand around watching the games, then wanted to have a go, and found it quite fun. She discovered a natural talent for it, and started competing in county championships within a few years, and she'd never even touched a Scrabble tile before the age of 50!

I think that the 'social' aspect of it being a club means that we're not just taking into account the person's likelihood (by type) of being interested in or good at Scrabble. Rachel told me that in her opinion, anyone who plays it for as long as she has, in a club, is bound to get very good because they'll just learn so many words and tactics etc., even if they have no natural talent.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    Cats need not fear. Many empty boxes and sunny ledges for you (to make up for my frequent boastings over your lack of opposable thumbs).
    *purrs happily*
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

I rock at Scrabble, as does my INFJ best friend, as does my ENFJ boyfriend. INTP Dad calls me "cutthroat."
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I rock at Scrabble, as does my INFJ best friend, as does my ENFJ boyfriend. INTP Dad calls me "cutthroat."
    Yes, I know an INFJ woman who often beats me. She has a way of just quietly and patiently concentrating, making strategies and plans and sticking to them, and really concentrating on the game much more than me, because ironically, she's not as competitive as me, so she's less distracted by a 'need' to win obscuring her thought processes!!
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

My father (INFP) and my great-grandmother (ISTJ) really entertaining when we're all playing. I usually play to see how they act with eachother and when I pull something out of left field and get some good points on it,
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTP

There are in the club in total 5 of each of the following types, except there are 6 INTP's, and I've also given the percentage of games that each type, as a group, has won in the past year.

INTP - 46.8%
    ENFP - 71.1%
    ENTP - 69.4%
    ESTJ - 54.3%
    ISTJ - 76.0%

This is a very interesting statistic to me, because it shows ENFP and ISTJ as markedly better than the others. With these types having total opposive functions, it's odd how they both seem to share both interest and aptitude at Scrabble!

Oh, and it's also very weird to see INTP's not doing so well. Could it be that social anxiety plays a part????

MBTI
    INFP

For those who have mentioned the competativeness... just a note... I am not competitive. I enjoy the game, but I am not driven to win. I am usually cheerleading those who are winning! Yaay!

Is a lack of competitiveness a F-type issue? My INTP friend and son are both competitive when mentally sparring. My son mentally spars with me very competitively during chess. My boyfriend enjoys the physically and mental competitions like running or stratego.
    Last edited by Sandy; 11-24-2007 at 10:57 AM. Reason: crappy spelling... ACK!
    -Sandy
    I - 75% N - 55% F - 55% P - 61%
    Enneagram 4w5

There is love... in the red letters
    There is truth... in the red letters

MBTI
    ENTP

My usual thing when playing someone I haven't played before is to, on the first game, not really concentrate on winning but instead, learning their gameplay method and tactics. I'll test out different things to see how they respond regarding the layout of the board, see how they handle certain situations, and then when I feel I've got more of a sense of how they operate, I'll play more seriously from the next game onwards.

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

for those who're keen:

Play Scrabulous online for free - at Scrabulous

you can play an email game with friends too. it is the same application as the facebook one. =)

I love scrabble. But I get stressed playing against people who're out to win. . with friends, sometimes we play on a theme, i.e. you can only form words revolving around that theme. The accompanying explanations are usually hilarious.