Thread: Forum trolls

MBTI
    nite
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILI

Default Forum trolls

A thread to vent about trolls, confess to being one yourself or say whatever you have to say on the matter. A thousand and one apologies if this has already been discussed and Iím too lazy look through all the threads on it.

Iíve been called a troll and even a failed troll, along with other choice names. People canít take an obvious joke, if you ask me; youíve got all these supposed Ns here with no appreciation of ironic humor. So what happens? I get tarred for shit like calling ENFPs ďfemme fatalesĒ and making bad penis jokes to lampoon the absurdity of males in our ESP-primate dominated ďsize mattersĒ culture who worry about their average-sized dicks being too small to satisfy women.

Your view of who the trolls are depends on your definition of the term. A real troll (ie an evil troll) is to my mind a kind of predator who focuses on belittling and undermining selected targets and is good at getting away with it. The best way to do that is to sign up on a forum and become a fixture, which means you donít start out as a troll. You have to be patient and establish yourself. Once youíre in a good position to intimidate people, then you start trolling. You choose good targets and skillfully upset them without using language thatíll get you in trouble with moderators, or anything too direct, like name-calling. Best to go after members no one cares about; the more popular the target, the harder to get away with. Your assault should be fairly subtle, so that no one recognizes it as such. Iíve seen forum trolls who are good at this, and the pros seldom get called on it. Like everywhere else in life, on forums the worst people are usually the ones getting away with it.

In a nutshell, if youíre trying to be a troll and people are you calling you one, you are not a successful troll. I havenít encountered anyone here so far who strikes me as a true-blooded troll, but Iím sure a few are lurking around. I was never a troll by my definition, either, though I donít care if people call me one. Likewise, members who do provocative or ridiculous posts to get a general reaction are not real trolls. You have to distinguish between attention-seekers and trolls who seriously want to fuck with people, though technically everyone posting on a forum is after some kind of attention, otherwise they wouldnít be posting.
    X___________________________________

If things are not what they seem, and we are forever reminded that this is the caseóthen it must also be observed that enough of us ignore this truth to keep the world from collapsing. ĖThomas Ligotti, The Mystics of Muelenberg

the internet is not my preferred playing ground, so i personally don't give a shit about being a "forum" troll or listening to them. sucks if you're affected by it though, for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by evilrobot View Post
    ...Likewise, members who do provocative or ridiculous posts to get a general reaction are not real trolls. You have to distinguish between attention-seekers and trolls who seriously want to fuck with people, though technically everyone posting on a forum is after some kind of attention, otherwise they wouldnít be posting.
    I smell a contradiction, but that's okay, pal.

Nice Troll Manifesto.

Ginkgo

I hate myself.

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    I hate myself.
    Suck it up, emo kid! or is that emo troll? I am not sure what the proper terminology would be here.

-

This all sounds like proper use of manipulation tactics. Perhaps better suited as a debate over which type would potentially be the best troll. Hmm.
    Which types are prone to manipulation tactics? I think i may be one of them, but can't be arsed to check.
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

I don't mean to sound completely stupid when I ask, what is a troll? I feel as if I have missed out on something.
    6w7.

Widdles in your cream.
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by inebriato View Post
    I don't mean to sound completely stupid when I ask, what is a troll? I feel as if I have missed out on something.
    Someone who disrupts a person, group (in this case forum) for their own amusement. Normally in the form of antagonistic behaviour. "MBTI SUCKS!!1!" Such behaviour then, ideally, results in a reaction from the group being insulted, which the troll gets his jollies from.

I think we've had a thread like this before, but I've confessed that I once trolled the NeoBoards. Winding pre-adolescents up is as entertaining as it is easy. Too easy, in fact. I grew bored of it.
    Um, yeah.

garbage

I'm a troll sorry guys

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Grungemouse View Post
    Someone who disrupts a person, group (in this case forum) for their own amusement. Normally in the form of antagonistic behaviour. "MBTI SUCKS!!1!" Such behaviour then, ideally, results in a reaction from the group being insulted, which the troll gets his jollies from.

I think we've had a thread like this before, but I've confessed that I once trolled the NeoBoards. Winding pre-adolescents up is as entertaining as it is easy. Too easy, in fact. I grew bored of it.
    Ah, ok thank you.
    6w7.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    ISTp

Quote Originally Posted by inebriato View Post
    Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Usually depends on the community of the forum and on a case by case basis though.
    Everyone is unique. ...Just like everyone else.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Video Challenge