User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Leading

MBTI
    ISFJ

Default Leading

I'm specially interested in EXTJ responses, but everyone is welcome to reply.

What makes a good leader in a work environment? In particular, how do you effectively communicate with the staff when something needs to get done?

Is it about having a certain conduct, that people respect? Is it about charisma and being friendly? Is it about being completely neutral and strictly-business-like?

Do you feel that it's how you approach each meeting that makes the difference?Or is it more a matter of having a coherent posture?

Please share whatever thoughts you have on the subject?

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

In my personal opinion, the most purest forms of leadership aint to be found in the daily bizness world. In that it is in the best ways a rather democratic bunch of people working together with one guy having a masterplan from another guy above.

But to lead people in its purest form is a different thing. And I cant really talk about it, without sounding like I had a masterplan any time.

I think it means to be reliable and strong, unwavering but with a human face and not be afraid of showing your weakness. In my opinion leadership is a gift for the one who has it and isnt to be thought about much. It's like an aura that enables you to have the unwavering attention of anyone in the room the moment you choosed to speak.

I think many people fail at leading when they think about it or become aware of it. Leadership to me is a very fine line you walk, cause being overly nice or being overly mean anyone can do.

Leadership is in its most basic ways the most basic expression of your true self. That means you do lead people according to your ideals and not according to democracy.

What leads in the next step to the most crucial thing of any kind of leadership: it aint possible without a likeminded group of people, who share those ideals.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I once had in my life the opportunity to be a leader and tho it was just an online counterstrike clan of 35 people (which was quite sucessful in my hometown) I never really noticed that I am a leader.

And I think that is what makes a good leader.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I have purchased numerous books on this, taken management development classes, etc. There is a lot of stuff out there which isn't that great. Suggest reading The Leadership Challenge. It is the most practical and actionable thing I've seen on the subject. I could try and summarize some key points but it would be better to get the book and read it. Also, I think people are different, you use your strengths and what works for an ENTJ leader may not work for other types as well. An NF leader or an NTP leader, for example, could have a much different style and yet could be equally or more effective than the ENTJ leader.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    What leads in the next step to the most crucial thing of any kind of leadership: it aint possible without a likeminded group of people, who share those ideals.
    What I have seen through my own experience in several jobs, is that this is a larger determiner of team effectiveness than is the skill level of the team leader.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander29 View Post
    An NF leader or an NTP leader, for example, could have a much different style and yet could be equally or more effective than the ENTJ leader.
    The book "Type Talk at Work" discusses leadership styles of the various types...
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    I'm specially interested in EXTJ responses, but everyone is welcome to reply.

What makes a good leader in a work environment? In particular, how do you effectively communicate with the staff when something needs to get done?

Is it about having a certain conduct, that people respect? Is it about charisma and being friendly? Is it about being completely neutral and strictly-business-like?

Do you feel that it's how you approach each meeting that makes the difference?Or is it more a matter of having a coherent posture?

Please share whatever thoughts you have on the subject?
    Thank you for asking a specific question. Much easier to answer.

When things need to be done by a group of people, that task will have different elements. It's parallel to how your people have different strengths and weaknesses. Know your peoples' skills and limits. Arrange and orient the resources to their tasks. It's a puzzle. Enjoy what you're doing and it'll project confidence. Project confidence and it'll boost morale.

There's a certain energy, a certain excitement. It can sweep people in. You're like a salesman, getting them to buy into your plans.

I really don't know what else to tell you. Typically you either have it or you don't. If you have it, you get better with experience.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

1) Being the best/most expert at executing the task at hand.
    2) Being reliable.
    3) Being democratic/friendly.

Just IMHO of course. I especially dislike leaders that don't fit 1). How can you be a leader if you don't understand what the people you're leading are doing. Thinking about it, I can't see a leader being good if he doesn't fit 2) and 3) either, although I can see him as being short-term effective even without respecting 3). The final model would be something like L=1*2*3, so lacking one of the characteristics would act as a bottleneck on total leadership ability, irrespective of the other two variables' level.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    1) Being the best/most expert at executing the task at hand.
    2) Being reliable.
    3) Being democratic/friendly.

Just IMHO of course. I especially dislike leaders that don't fit 1). How can you be a leader if you don't understand what the people you're leading are doing. Thinking about it, I can't see a leader being good if he doesn't fit 2) and 3) either, although I can see him as being short-term effective even without respecting 3). The final model would be something like L=1*2*3, so lacking one of the characteristics would act as a bottleneck on total leadership ability, irrespective of the other two variables' level.
    You're also going to have to deal with people who are going to aim their anger right at you somehow. I remember one guy that was great, charismatic and highly skilled to the point of courageousness, but he couldn't deal with people who lost their cool at him. I'm not exactly sure what he should have done though...
    5 3 9

MBTI
    ISTP

The purpose of a leader is to provide a single unconflicting point of reference for others to follow. Without a leader, people tend to move like a blob to everyone's detriment. Even a poor leader will increase cohesion in a group which allows for a better leader to step up or be elected.

All the traits of a good leader enable them to perform this responsibility better. If they do not understand the limitations of their team then they will make unprofitable or even risky ventures. If they do not maximize on the capabilities of the team then productivity is lost. If they do not pay attention to needs the group will dystrophy. If they are not strong or independent enough then they will be swept into the shifting emotional atmosphere.

Being a good leader is mostly about everyone but the leader themselves, but they do need the strongest sense of identity amongst the group. The paradoxical criteria is what makes good leaders few. This is naturally balanced by the fact that only a small percentage of the population needs to lead, and the people fit for it tend to naturally gravitate towards that position amongst the group (there are exceptions, of course)

Quote Originally Posted by King-Of-Despair View Post
    You're also going to have to deal with people who are going to aim their anger right at you somehow. I remember one guy that was great, charismatic and highly skilled to the point of courageousness, but he couldn't deal with people who lost their cool at him. I'm not exactly sure what he should have done though...
    Not sure if I'm one of those angry people. ;D I've always seen myself as the guy who busts the balls of the leader in the background. Ever since I was a kid. I recognize a leader when I see one, but they need to be... informed sometimes. Whether about ignorance or abuse. Sometimes it's innocent and they're hands are so full, they start missing something important. The good ones always listen though.