User Tag List

First 12

Thread: Leading

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Clear expectations and consistent limits.

ThatGirl

A good leader is one that is skilled in raising competence levels in the individual/organization. Initially strong then progressing to subtle direction and focus maintained.
    Clear, consistant,and decisive. Trustworthy and competent. People know results are produced under their guidance. They are objective, fair, and intelligent.

MBTI
    ISFP

When the leader of our writers critique group gradually got an Alzheimer's-like thing, someone had to take over. I did.

I would never have done so had someone not volunteered me to lead one of the meetings when the leader couldn't attend one day. (I'm still grateful for his confidence.) After that, I tactfully took over, gradually, and she gratefully bowed out, gradually. I had never led a group of adults. Even teaching piano, I had taught only children and declined to teach adults.

Turns out I was very effective for about four years. The group thrived and it grew. It had, I heard, the reputation of being the best on this side of the city; one person told me it was equivalent to a graduate level writing group. When I had to leave, someone else stepped up to the plate, but yet the group still disbanded within months. It no longer exists.

What did I do that made it effective? FWIW, looking back . . .

1. Encouraged people.

2. Showed enthusiasm for the business at hand, which apparently was catching. Went the extra mile to make things work well. People imitated that and did the same.

3. Was open to innovation; treated people as intelligent equals.

4. Cared about people as people -- showed interest in their lives, their experiences, their opinions, their strengths, what they could contribute that no one else could.

5. I rarely had to make a 'command' decision, and when I did, it was accepted as necessary, like a tie-breaker would be.

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    In my opinion leadership is a gift for the one who has it and isnt to be thought about much. It's like an aura that enables you to have the unwavering attention of anyone in the room the moment you choosed to speak.

I think many people fail at leading when they think about it or become aware of it.
    Leadership is in its most basic ways the most basic expression of your true self. That means you do lead people according to your ideals and not according to democracy.
    When you stop screwing around and get serious, you actually have very good insight.
    This is an excellent post.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by speculative View Post

The book "Type Talk at Work" discusses leadership styles of the various types...
    I have read this. There is also some interesting stuff in Please Understand Me II on different types of leaders by temperment (tactical, strategic, diplomatic, logistical). I still stand by the original recommended book though.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunward View Post
    Know your peoples' skills and limits. Arrange and orient the resources to their tasks. It's a puzzle. Enjoy what you're doing and it'll project confidence. Project confidence and it'll boost morale.

If you have it, you get better with experience.
    There is a balance between putting people into positions where you are matching their skills and abilities to the task and developing them. I tend to give people an opportunity to stretch and grow, watching closely if necessary.

The only way to get any good at leading is to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    A good leader is one that is skilled in raising competence levels in the individual/organization. Initially strong then progressing to subtle direction and focus maintained.
    Clear, consistant,and decisive. Trustworthy and competent. People know results are produced under their guidance. They are objective, fair, and intelligent.
    These points are all dead on

Quote Originally Posted by LeafAndSky View Post
    W\
    Turns out I was very effective for about four years. The group thrived and it grew. It had, I heard, the reputation of being the best on this side of the city;

What did I do that made it effective? FWIW, looking back . . .

1. Encouraged people.

2. Showed enthusiasm for the business at hand, which apparently was catching. Went the extra mile to make things work well. People imitated that and did the same.

3. Was open to innovation; treated people as intelligent equals.

4. Cared about people as people -- showed interest in their lives, their experiences, their opinions, their strengths, what they could contribute that no one else could.

5. I rarely had to make a 'command' decision, and when I did, it was accepted as necessary, like a tie-breaker would be.
    These are all really important points too.

People want direction, trust and hope. Trust is the most important factor in determining a leader's success. You generate and sustain trust through integrity, ambition, and competence. Involving others in key decisions and activities generates trust. Show you'll accept their ideas. Helping others generates trust. Showing appreciation generates trust. Honesty generates trust. Admitting you are wrong generates trust. Serving and supporting others generates trust. Then you can tell them "you trust them" as well, and mean it. That doesn't mean you let them go off and do whatever they want.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander29 View Post
    There is a balance between putting people into positions where you are matching their skills and abilities to the task and developing them. I tend to give people an opportunity to stretch and grow, watching closely if necessary.

The only way to get any good at it is to do it.
    If you're going to be working with them often, sure. It's an investment, that way.

Leading is like masturbating, it gets better with experience.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    What makes a good leader in a work environment? In particular, how do you effectively communicate with the staff when something needs to get done?
    A good leader is one who is, above all, fair. Ideally, a good leader should not be too strict but should be firm at the same time. Communicating with staff when something needs to be done... just say what needs to be done, how to do it, and get it done. Pretty simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Is it about having a certain conduct, that people respect? Is it about charisma and being friendly? Is it about being completely neutral and strictly-business-like?
    Meh, I would say it's just about getting the job done. Ultimately solving the problem(s) is more important than proper conduct / charisma.