User Tag List

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Default The Dark Passenger

I just watched a movie called "Forgiven". It's about a father abusing his daughter and his wife trying to forgive him and get the family back together. Now, this theme of not knowing of the evil inside you, it is a haunting idea. I've been drawn to stories like this for some time now. Dexter, and his dark passenger, "Antichrist", with the supposed evil of sexuality, and Hannibal Lecter of course. Something about this won't leave me alone. The idea is the same, there is something dark inside you, but the difference is in what the character decides to do about it.

So, the question seems to be "How do you know?". How would I know that I won't do anything "evil"? Is there any way to get around this? I have to just trust myself? It would be so easy to logically justify doing something wrong. The time is against this like so many times in history. The morals of society are superficial, they are more like traffic rules than anything close to true morals. How would I even know that I am not doing something bad already?

And if you find something, how do you fix it? Dexter has a code, which is only a bandaid, Hannibal doesn't try to do anything, in Antichrist there is therapy which only makes the beast surface to take control, in Forgiven the therapy is a success, or so it seems.

Hell, you can see my fascination with it just by looking at my avatar. Why did I want to make such an avatar? Aren't babies born innocent?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

The only one of those movies I've seen is "Antichrist," which I wish I hadn't. But I think the only way this could happen is via a gradual descent into madness. You would have to become truly psychotic.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    But I think the only way this could happen is via a gradual descent into madness.
    So do you think that anyone might descent? Can you ever be strong enough to be sure you will cope no matter what happens?

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

Thread title love

If you ever start blacking out and not remembering the events of your life... or wondering why your hands are stained in blood. That's a good place to start. If people close to you tell you that you've been doing certain things, or they have just gone missing. Another good sign.

Anyone could do something evil. It's a matter of having the willpower not to, whether it's been a constant idea over time or a completely momentary one.
    A lot of it depends on the person and the severity of their "dark passenger". Does the benefit of satiating their "dark passenger" outweigh the benefit of keeping it at bay? What are the consequences? Can they be avoided/does the person want to avoid them? Etc
    Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Aren't babies born innocent?
    No, they aren't. They are little Satan spawns that are waiting to pounce and feeeed. Do not be fooled, goddamnit!
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Unkindloving View Post
    Thread title love
    I knew you would.

Quote Originally Posted by Unkindloving View Post
    Anyone could do something evil. It's a matter of having the willpower not to, whether it's been a constant idea over time or a completely momentary one.
    A lot of it depends on the person and the severity of their "dark passenger". Does the benefit of satiating their "dark passenger" outweigh the benefit of keeping it at bay? What are the consequences? Can they be avoided/does the person want to avoid them? Etc
    Sounds very utilitarian. I'd be a lot happier knowing that I wouldn't do anything that my conscious mind wouldn't want to do. I am sure that anyone who has ever snapped would say that they were not themselves.

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

I knew you would.
    I'm too damn predictable sometimes

Sounds very utilitarian. I'd be a lot happier knowing that I wouldn't do anything that my conscious mind wouldn't want to do. I am sure that anyone who has ever snapped would say that they were not themselves.
    I definitely wiki'd that.
    My mind automatically goes for the horror/thriller films. Se7en. Anamorph. Amityville Horror. etc. Some of which are calculated and desired outcomes, others of which are sporadic and consciously undesired.
    I suppose that, as long as nothing is driving you to the brink of snapping or possessing you, there wouldn't be much to worry about. Hm
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

there is something dark inside you, but the difference is in what the character decides to do about it.

So, the question seems to be "How do you know?". How would I know that I won't do anything "evil"? Is there any way to get around this? I have to just trust myself? It would be so easy to logically justify doing something wrong. The time is against this like so many times in history. The morals of society are superficial, they are more like traffic rules than anything close to true morals. How would I even know that I am not doing something bad already?
    The sad truth is that we live under the Bell Curve. So most conform to society and a very few at either end of the Bell Curve are non-conformist.

So for most of us, if we live in a good society, we will be good. And if we live in a bad society, we will be bad.

So for almost all of us, the question is - what is a good society?

In the West we have noticed that power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely, so we have based our society on the limitation of power.

And we have been successful since 1833 in limiting power over slaves, women and children.

We are though confronted by an enemy who insists on maximising power - religious and political power, power over women, power over dhimmi and infidels, and tragically, power over children.

They tell us over and over again that the world is not big enough for both of us. And they demonstrate this everyday with mass murder and intimidation.

We are intimidated and don't want to call a spade a spade. We hope it will go away. We hope they will see reason. But they keep telling us they love death more than we love life. And we just find this very hard to believe.

But we can believe that most will conform to whoever wins.