User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Forum Etiquette

MBTI
    INFP

Default Forum Etiquette

Etiquette intrigues me. Not in an "I have under-developed Fe" sense.. I simply think there is intrinsic merit to being poised and proper.

Would you please share what you perceive to be the correct way of conducting yourself on a forum, in detail, if possible?

I'm interested in responses covering private messaging, debate, flattery, "friendship", inquiries, comments, others' blogs, the size and emphasis of your text, you-name-it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Standard text. Do not pm unless you have a legit question. Friendship additions are fairly useless so it doesn't really matter how/how often you add others.

How could you conduct yourself on a forum? Everyone has their style(s), but generally getting your point across with as little text and fluffy language as possible seems ideal (to me). Use paragraph breaks often, it helps make what you're typing digestible and not TL;DR.

Don't try and use all these unnecessarily huge and complicated words all of the time to make yourself sound smart. It's annoying and makes you sound like a douche.

How you communicate with others is really a personal thing, and makes posters unique. I won't declare a right or wrong way to come across in that regard on a message board.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Dude. What? There's etiquette I have to learn now? Damn it. Ferk it. I ain't havin' that. As long as I don't post nude pictures, threaten people, or send you all a virus or some crap, it's all good.

<--- You have to deal with Bun-Bun whether you like it or not. And that's my final warning.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Dude. What? There's etiquette I have to learn now? Damn it. Ferk it. I ain't havin' that. As long as I don't post nude pictures, threaten people, or send you all a virus or some crap, it's all good.

<--- You have to deal with Bun-Bun whether you like it or not. And that's my final warning.
    Is there not anything you expect from others? Of course everyone will not meet your standards, but certainly you have them, as they are what dictate whether or not a person likes or respects another.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I just post thoughts or observations that come to mind without any real consideration about how they might be received. It's probably mostly fluff and too short but haven't received any complaints so far.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

I think there's a few different groups. The first group just acts how they act and that's it. The second group figures out what works and adapts to that behavior. Therefore, etiquette isn't set in stone and is malleable depending on cultural changes on the forum as time progresses. It's more important to be able to identify and adapt, rather than have a knowledge of the etiquette of a particular point in time...
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

MBTI
    I

Just say what you mean, but keep it clean for the most part. Don't spam. Don't post rubbish or explicit things.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Dont overdo "your momma" jokes
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Dont overdo "your momma" jokes
    There can never be too many "your momma" jokes. Ever.

Standard text, unless it's a one-off thing and there's a reason. Smilies in moderation.

Try to read at least a page or two of a long thread, instead of jumping in without reading anything but the OP. Don't come into a 30 page thread and say, "I didn't read this, can anyone catch me up?"

Rep should be for positive and neutral comments only--if you have a bone to pick, do it in PM, where the person can at least respond to you.

Don't PM when a wall comment would do.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    There can never be too many "your momma" jokes. Ever.

Smilies in moderation.
    Your mom smiles excessively when I walk in the room.

/end thread.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.