1 1.69%
  • Yes, I am ESJ

0 0%
  • No, I am ESJ

0 0%
First 1234 Last

Thread: Daydreaming

garbage

Thank God for a short list of direct questions.

Daydreaming occurs when I slowly transition away from the current context--a conversing, walking, reading--and I enter a realm populated by my imagination. During the daydream, I'll extend the context past the actual reality of the situation, or I'll shift gears entirely. It's basically a manifestation of my natural tendency to stop paying attention to what's in front of me and shift into a more interesting world.

The more tired I am and the more boring the current context is, the more likely I am to daydream.

Ever seen Scrubs or Family Guy? Something like that, maybe.

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

Do you daydream?
    That i do

Have you always?
    Yes.

Are there times you daydream more?
    I daydreamed more when i was in school. Focusing wasn't a strong point :p.
    Currently, i don't daydream too much unless it's for the purpose of explaining things or before i go to sleep.

What does it mean to you to daydream?
    Usually, it is an ideal sequence of thoughts/conversations/events that i would like to happen. Sometimes it is just toying with ideas for the heck of it.
    It isn't a way to escape the reality of my life (those are what my actual dreams are for), it's simply a way for me to sort through reality in more extravagant ways.
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Do you daydream?

Sometimes. For example, I dream of escaping to a cabin on a lake somewhere and staying there, getting out of the high pressure world that I'm part of.

Have you always?

As a child, I was a massive daydreamer. Sometimes I miss it.

When I'm driving into work, vegetating, watching a boring TV show maybe. It is never planned or intentional.

What does it mean to you to daydream

I used to dream about things in the future - what I wished for or hoped would happen. Now, it is more specific to the context of some situation - what will happen in the near term. I think I would like to do it more because it is pretty enjoyable.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Do you daydream?
    Yes.

Have you always?
    Yes.

If I'm not specifically attending to something else, then I'm usually daydreaming.

Whay does it mean to you to daydream?
    It's my brain's default mode, and my primary source of ideas.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Introspection is like daydreams.

You speculate and hence fall into a zone that constitutes an introspective thought/daydream whereby your thinking and visualising something into fruition. Just like daydreaming to imagine and visualise a source of creativity to escape from reality to return to reality. Introspection is a vehicle into the subconscious as is daydreaming a vehicle into the subconscious. And yes I do both.

Do you daydream?

Yes...

Have you always?

Yes.

I guess it depends on my mood and what is happening in my life. I usually daydream a lot anyway and unfortunately I can't tell when I do it more or less.

What does it mean?? Hmm....a way to escape reality sometimes. Every time I'm walking on the same road home or in the bus I just find that a lot of road is done and I'm closer to home even though I have no idea how. Sometimes, I just imagine a fantastic parallel universe and I am simply caught in it.
    Though, lately I've avoided daydreaming. Because when I'm not in this alternative universe, I start imagining how things could go with my life and usually nothing happens in reality like in my imagination, which gets me very depressed and disappointed.

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

I'am a daydreamer. I have always been a daydreamer.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Do you daydream?
    Yes.

Have you always?
    From as far back as I can remember, I've always been a daydreamer.

When I'm alone, or when it's not rude to shut the world out, so around friends for spaced out periods of time. I could be completely riveted with whatever is happening around me, but still drift off and start daydreaming about other stuff.

When I'm feeling down especially.

It's an escape route for me most of the time, and a great source of ideas. If I am forced to pay attention to the real world for too long, with no chance to just drift off and think about my own crazy stuff, I am liable to go nuts.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I'm starting to think that daydreaming means different things to different people. I can easily get caught up in my brain thinking about things but I don't make up visual scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by Adoamros View Post
    inb4 NF fest
    <snip>
    just insert 'drawing on everything' in there somewhere. I think everyone does it in different ways.
    Why do you think daydreaming would be an NF fest thing?

You think everyone daydreams? In what way?

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    For me, daydreaming is like going through a scenario I've cooked up myself. It doesn't happen spontaneously. I start thinking about something scene by scene, trying to envision all the details, and usually failing at it because one thought creates another and everything just starts to live its own life. I'm like the puppeteer but sometimes the strings get all twisted. And then I can just fast forward, rewind, stop, whatever. My mental remote control is one helluva scene flipper. But I'm always myself in my daydreams, I don't take on some mystical or superhero persona.
    This is what I think of as "classic" daydreaming. Trying to control a story. So far you and short appear to be the only ones actually creating a story in your head. Even if I'm "writing a book" in my head I'm still just doing it in words, not visualizing.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSprout View Post

What does it mean to you to daydream?

At its worst, it is distracting, guilt creating, time wasting, and indulgent of my Fi-Si loop. At its best, it stimulates my thoughts/ideas and motivates me to develop and share them.
    Why would it be guilt creating? The actual content or just that you are lost in your head for a period of time?

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    It's really important. I think the difference between me and some strong N's is that my daydreams tend to be very based in reality.
    <snip>
    The only thing that makes my dreams "dreamlike" is that everything is going exactly the way that I want them to. Sometimes if things get unattainable the daydream stops all of a sudden and that dumb overly realistic voice in my head says, "That would never happen." Or sometimes it even stops for a reason like the tiny voice saying. "You are smoking in your daydream, smoking causes cancer." And my brain has to fix it to be possible so that the dream can resume.
    I wonder if you are hitting on why I think I don't daydream. My (step but real) sister is ISTJ and used to daydream all the time. I wonder if it always sounded like creating reality and my brain doesn't do that. I wonder if there is any S/N divide here.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by greed View Post
    Thank God for a short list of direct questions.
    I have more for ya though.

Daydreaming occurs when I slowly transition away from the current context--a conversing, walking, reading--and I enter a realm populated by my imagination. During the daydream, I'll extend the context past the actual reality of the situation, or I'll shift gears entirely. It's basically a manifestation of my natural tendency to stop paying attention to what's in front of me and shift into a more interesting world.
    By this do you mean getting lost in your thoughts or actually trying to create a concrete-dream reality?

Ever seen Scrubs or Family Guy? Something like that, maybe.
    In what way? Are there daydream sequences in those shows?

Quote Originally Posted by Unkindloving View Post
    I daydreamed more when i was in school. Focusing wasn't a strong point :p.
    Currently, i don't daydream too much unless it's for the purpose of explaining things or before i go to sleep.
    How do you use it to explain things? To yourself or others?

Quote Originally Posted by highlander29 View Post
    What does it mean to you to daydream

I used to dream about things in the future - what I wished for or hoped would happen. Now, it is more specific to the context of some situation - what will happen in the near term. I think I would like to do it more because it is pretty enjoyable.
    Why do you think it's changed now? Are you less interested in what will happen in the future now that you are older and are living the future? (I assume you are from what you posted.)

Quote Originally Posted by Two Point Two View Post
    It's my brain's default mode, and my primary source of ideas.
    Your primary mode is daydreaming? Creating visual pictures in your mind?

Quote Originally Posted by am_i_evil666 View Post
    Sometimes, I just imagine a fantastic parallel universe and I am simply caught in it.
    Though, lately I've avoided daydreaming. Because when I'm not in this alternative universe, I start imagining how things could go with my life and usually nothing happens in reality like in my imagination, which gets me very depressed and disappointed.
    This sounds like what I think of as daydreaming and also what I've heard from people who do it, that it's slightly depressing once you come out of it. I'm wondering if that's what bluesprout meant about guilt.