User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer? Cats or dogs?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm an SJ and like dogs more

1 1.69%
  • I'm an SJ and like cats more

3 5.08%
  • I'm an NF and like dogs more

8 13.56%
  • I'm an NF and like cats more

10 16.95%
  • I'm an SP and like dogs more

2 3.39%
  • I'm an SP and like cats more

6 10.17%
  • I'm an NT and like dogs more

9 15.25%
  • I'm an NT and like cats more

9 15.25%
  • I don't like either cats or dogs much

3 5.08%
  • I like both cats and dogs the same

8 13.56%
First 1234 Last

heart on fire

I prefer cats. And yes I've had a dog and I like dogs just fine. But cats just have that special something that a name cannot be placed to. And I also like their selectivity. When I call her, my cat comes running to me but she won't do that for any other person on the planet. In fact, to my cat, I am the most important person in the world and everyone else is unimportant and not worth her time. That kind of loyalty is pretty priceless.

When I want to be left alone, she does her own thing. When she's ticked at me, she lets me know. She's got tons of pride and spirit, even though she's totally dependent on me for food and such. One just has to admire that.

And yes, I don't like the way dogs jump up with their sharp toenails and they bark so loud, their coats are not as silky to stroke, they can smell bad. They can't purr either, but can't hold against them. They can't help it.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by SillySapienne View Post
    Have to agree, here.

I like most animals in general, including cats, but I absolutely adore dogs.

They are compassionate, nurturing and full of love, and they're silly to boot!

A world/life without dogs would be bleaker realm, indeed.
    +1 Dogs are the best things ever. I have to admit, I can't even wrap my brain around the concept of not liking dogs.

I like cats, too, but they're a bit too aloof for my tastes. Dogs make everything better.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

With uncommon exceptions, dogs are loud, obnoxious, smelly and too needy. I don't appreciate them screaming their little heads off every time anything fucking moves.

"OMG WHO'S AT THE DOOR BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK"
    "OMG WHY IS THAT CAR MOVING OUTSIDE BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK"
    "OMG IT'S 4 IN THE MORNING AND I'M LONELY HOOOOOOOOWL"

Cats can be pretentious little bastards and refuse to interact with you, but it's just because they don't trust people until given a particular reason to. You have to put more effort into connecting with them, but once you get on their good side they're great because they're just interactive enough to avoid being antisocial/boring, but just independent enough to avoid being excessively needy. They have their alone time and you have yours.

Dogs have to be especially well-trained to not be loud obnoxious irritating little shits. Granted, when they're very well-trained they're usually pretty cool, but most people don't bother so their dogs are just...well, obnoxious irritating little shits.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

I luff em both, in different ways, for different reasons. I want hundreds of each!

Quote Originally Posted by highlander29 View Post
    so, for the ones who say cats - i wonder - have you ever had a dog?
    Grew up with a cat and a dog, amongst other pets.

My INFJ sis told me not so long ago that while she does like dogs she is def a cat person.

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Cats can be pretentious little bastards and refuse to interact with you, but it's just because they don't trust people until given a particular reason to. You have to put more effort into connecting with them, but once you get on their good side they're great because they're just interactive enough to avoid being antisocial/boring, but just independent enough to avoid being excessively needy. They have their alone time and you have yours.

Dogs have to be especially well-trained to not be loud obnoxious irritating little shits. Granted, when they're very well-trained they're usually pretty cool, but most people don't bother so their dogs are just...well, obnoxious irritating little shits.
    This is what always gets me thinking. With cats it's more about being patient and not really being that involved in making connection.

But with dogs you have to be actively involved in establishing that connection and yourself as the "leader of the herd".

Are people who say that they prefer cats just lazier? I'm not talking about people who really do like cats more than dogs but about people who are taking the easy way out with cats and avoiding dogs because they don't want to invest themselves into something "demanding" like dog training.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    This is what always gets me thinking. With cats it's more about being patient and not really being that involved in making connection.

But with dogs you have to be actively involved in establishing that connection and yourself as the "leader of the herd".

Are people who say that they prefer cats just lazier? I'm not talking about people who really do like cats more than dogs but about people who are taking the easy way out with cats and avoiding dogs because they don't want to invest themselves into something "demanding" like dog training.
    I adore cats. I really love them and have put a lot of time into connecting with mine. He meets me at the car when I come home. Sometimes I'll be on the phone finishing up a conversation when I park my car, and still sitting in there for a couple minutes with the ignition off, and he'll jump up on the windshield and paw at it trying to get to me so I can carry him inside and give him his nightly ham.

People never seem to think this kind of relationship is possible with cats, but it is. It just takes a little more effort to get them to open up to you. I'd rather convince an otherwise standoffish pet to be more loving than an otherwise obnoxious pet to not annoy the piss out of everyone.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    I luff em both, in different ways, for different reasons.
    +1 Actually, I like pretty much all animals, except centipedes (they freak me out) and mice/rats (have a phobia of them).

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    I adore cats. I really love them and have put a lot of time into connecting with mine. He meets me at the car when I come home. Sometimes I'll be on the phone finishing up a conversation when I park my car, and still sitting in there for a couple minutes with the ignition off, and he'll jump up on the windshield and paw at it trying to get to me so I can carry him inside and give him his nightly ham.

People never seem to think this kind of relationship is possible with cats, but it is. It just takes a little more effort to get them to open up to you. I'd rather convince an otherwise standoffish pet to be more loving than an otherwise obnoxious pet to not annoy the piss out of everyone.
    Yeah, same experience with cats. My cat would often jump on my face when I was longuing on the sofa and start licking my cheek or she would start meowing from the window when I'd come home from school/work and then jump in a dog-like when when I entered the house. Yet she was really standoffish with strangers and she didn't even want them to caress her. I loved that
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ISFJ

I never had a pet and don't particularly like animals. Not, in the sense that I don't want them around me.

Cats are less intrusive. But I could see myself grabbing a beer with a dog. They are not as conceited.

heart on fire

I never understand why people think cats are cold. I have never met a cat who wasn't friendly and who didn't enjoy a good back scratch.

I have met cats who are skiddish. No problem. Just leave them be and they will come and check you out in a quiet moment and be just as warm and friendly as any living thing can be.