User Tag List

First 678910 Last

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

"Just my opinion" is the key phrase to use to survive lawsuits.

Other important phrases are:

"The car did that all by itself"

"I have to go, I got a meeting"

and

"She fell on me and got pregnant"
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post

and

Thank you, this offers a succinct, though slightly exaggerated example of a speech-act entailed by 'it is just my opinion utterance'.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

What ? You must have confused me with someone else
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

What ? You must have confused me with someone else
    No, I certainly have not.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

"Just my opinion" and "IMO" is overused imo, but they serve legitimate purposes, like softening up declarative statements. But people don't just use the phrases when they're being dicks.

However prefacing things with the phrase "I think" seems to do that same thing and is less redundant.

I don't really like to use either, but I use "I think" sometimes... we all do actually.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Not applicable, because it takes semen to make one pregnant. How could she fall on you if you've already ejaculated? WAIT: I don't wanna know, ent!

C'mon, NTs. Let's just agree that F's like to use it to make their Fe feel better and T's don't like it at all. It's like learning how someone likes to communicate and meeting them halfway.

Fs: Try not to hide behind "imo"
    Ts: Try not to infuse "imo" with slouchery
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

garbage

and

One of these is not like the other ones.

Hint: it's the one that's not outright meant to be deceptive.

In this sort of exchange,

Johnson: It is just my opinion that Bush was inspired by ulterior motives when they insisted on the necessity of invading Iraq and did not earnestly believe that Hussein was in possession of weapons of Mass destruction.
    Smith: How do you know?
    Johnson: It is just my opinion
    Smith: What is your opinion based on? What sources can you cite? What arguments can you construct to defend it?
    Johnson: George W. Bush cited no substantial evidence for his conclusion, neither did his subordinates. They appealed to passion and prejudice thereby employing rhetoric rather than substantial arguments to vindicate their views. Historically, when politicians behaved in such a manner, they've been dishonest. The chances are that Bush was no exception.
    So what if the person didn't use the phrase "It is just my opinion"? Would this exchange have been any different at all, other than cutting out the second and third line? It doesn't seem that it would be, since Smith also goes on to critique Johnson's stance anyway. He's in his right to do so.

That sort of opinion also differs from the "I like chocolate ice cream" opinion, since it can be refuted, falsified, or tested. The latter cannot.

So, don't let the phrase stop you from doing whatever it is that you want to do with their statement--whether that be critiquing it or just taking it in.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    Not applicable, because it takes semen to make one pregnant. How could she fall on you if you've already ejaculated? WAIT: I don't wanna know, ent!

C'mon, NTs. Let's just agree that F's like to use it to make their Fe feel better and T's don't like it at all. It's like learning how someone likes to communicate and meeting them halfway.

Fs: Try not to hide behind "imo"
    Ts: Try not to infuse "imo" with slouchery
    My thread is not about typology or people's intentions. It is about speech-acts or messages a person inevitably conveys without respect to his private mindstates.

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    My thread is not about typology or people's intentions. It is about speech-acts or messages a person inevitably conveys without respect to his private mindstates.
    The problem is that these messages aren't so inevitable given the disagreement about the connotations of the phrase in this thread.

Additionally, posters' stances on the issue also seem to be pretty well correlated with the T/F dichotomy (though not 100%, which is understandable). This seems to me to mean that each of our mental filters has something to do with how we each interpret the phrase.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by greed View Post
    The problem is that these messages aren't so inevitable given the disagreement about the connotations of the phrase in this thread.

Additionally, posters' stances on the issue also seem to be pretty well correlated with the T/F dichotomy (though not 100%, which is understandable). This seems to me to mean that each of our mental filters has something to do with how we each interpret the phrase.
    I can't respond at length as I've got to get to work, but the short version is that there are conventional meanings of a word or a phrase. When you look it up in a dictionary, you get several definitions, but one of them is usually ranked as number one or its primary definition.

The speech-act is a result of people assuming by convention that the speaker has the primary definition in mind. Those who interpret it differently simply misinterpret it, or the speaker who uses the non-primary definition miscommunicates unless he clarifies that his definition is such. This is actually a distinct example of how a person can make a speech act that does not represent his intentions. In the case of my opinion, somebody may intend to convey mere politeness, yet unintentionally they discourage others from questioning their views and compel them to assume that something substantial has been communicated by the speaker.

The general message is inevitable because although there may be many ways to interpet it, there often is a primary way and others are of a rather ancillary nature.