User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 120

  1. #51
    Intriguing.... Quinlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo
    Posts
    3,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post
    It's a short way of saying, "hey, I could be totally wrong here, open to suggestions why I am".
    Exactly!

    /thread
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

    Quinlan's Creations

  2. #52
    Senior Member Snow Turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Others have most likely touched upon my reasoning behind using the phrases. It's usually just an acknowledgement that others views outside my thinking exist, however as things currently stand based on all the evidence I've accumulated, I'm inclined to believe in my own position over others. Then there are times when I just shrug and think that it's my prefered method and that's all, it's just different as opposed to thinking other positions are wrong.

    I don't know why...
    But does placing IMO really make people less inclined to challenge the statements made?
    Perhaps, from my perspective since I don't utilise it in this manner along with some of the other posters here. To me, that doesn't prevent me from informing them/correcting them/challenging their positions.

    It's only when "That's your opinion and this is mine" is used that I treat it as that the other person isn't willing to engage in debate. This could be because they have spent countless of hours in the past debating their views and can not be bothered to explain their position anymore.

    Without the IMO... I find alot of people in real life jump in with the whole "THAT IS NOT TRUE" as comments made without it give a much higher sense of certainty that this is the truth.

  3. #53
    Emerging Tallulah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    6,028

    Default

    Sometimes IMO is just a filler phrase, or used when the whole debate is based upon opinion, ie: IMO, Johnny Depp is an underrated actor. But in a serious philosophical debate, IMO, JMO, and "My two cents" seem a little passive aggressive. Like, "Let me spend five paragraphs telling me why you're completely wrong and a terrible person, to boot, but soften it by saying, 'JMO .'" It's kind of like when someone curses you out and then says, sarcastically, "Have a nice day!"

    It's also usually completely unnecessary. If you're writing it, I'm going to assume it's your opinion.

    Also, the phrase, "You are entitled to your opinion" makes me want to throw things. Um, yeah...thanks?
    Something Witty

  4. #54
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,131

    Default

    I tend to use it to be polite, because I've probably made it somewhat clear in my post that other people are idiots- which is purely MY opinion

    it's not to prevent people from arguing with me, it's to just say "don't get your panties in a bunch, I'm not laying down the law"
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  5. #55
    Senior Member Moiety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Posts
    6,020

    Default

    Personally I tend to use the phrase when I'm well aware part of the reason why it is my opinion, is related to faith or belief in something I can't quite prove.

    It doesn't mean I use it every time I have a belief in something I can't quite prove, though. If someone else has already done it for me, in some way, then I don't feel as compelled to prove it again (specially if I don't have a means...since I am posting on a forum here).

    Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post
    No it isn't, it's me simply stating that it's just my opinion and I am not in anyway trying to force my views on anyone, just stating them. I say it because I am concerned the other person might see me assuming I have some kind of authority on the subject matters, when in reality I am just stating my opinion. You are weclome to challenge it, it is not attempting to force anything on you.

    It is just my wish for no one to assume I am claiming to be an authority.

    Why would you see insidious intention where none is? after all, it is my post you picked out.
    What does it mean then, when you don't use that phrase? That you are in fact, trying to enforce your opinion?

  6. #56
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Aren't they doing you a service by admitting up front their belief is not conclusive and thus doesn't need to be attacked/knocked down?
    The problem is that this tactic is used by people to force their views on others while appearing mild-mannered and unimposing. It is totalitarian in nature in the same manner the communists and religious zealots are. My call is to exhort us to recognize this kind of rhetoric and to bannish it from civilized conversation, or for the very least discred it as a mere arbitrary assertion supported by no more than the communicator's article of faith. The fact that it still is used as an effective tool of persuasion is the main problem. We see similar rhetoric in business environments, for instance, in a corporate meeting someone may say it is just my opinion but..(some outlandish claim such as someone ought to be fired or someone isn't doing a good job or I feel that so and so is true and so on). Its a very dangerous rhetorical device because at once it makes the speaker seem soft spoken and polite, secondly it propounds the speaker's opinion for genuine consideration whilst the spaker cites no reason to support his opinion, thirdly the speaker implies that he shouldn't be criticized as his utterance is a mere 'opinion' and fourthly since his utterance isn't bold and he won't fully own up to it; he or she has the liberty to deny the consequences of his opinion. In other words, it allows people to make a social impact without taking blame for the possible negative consequences. If the opinion entails a good outcome, the speaker can stand up and say, see I told you so! If it entails a bad reasult, he can respond with: what do you want from, it was just an opinion!? Even worse, this person is more likely to be effective than someone who boldly states his views as the latter's perspective is open to criticism, yet the former's must be accepted as at least somewhat substantial by default. Thus, the rhetorical device allows a person to justify almost anything regardless of how pernicious or absurd without incurring any sanctions for this.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

  7. #57
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    The problem is that this tactic is used by people to force their views on others while appearing mild-mannered and polite. It is totalitarian in nature in the same manner the communists and religious zealots are. My call is to exhort us to recognize this kind of rhetoric and to bannish it from civilized conversation, or for the very least discred it as a mere arbitrary assertion supported by no more than the communicator's article of faith.
    so are you offended that people use this term in a manner of a charm to avoid walls of text in response from you?

    some of us aren't necissarily here to argue about every single topic, but like to contribute nonetheless :rolli:
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  8. #58
    Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx
    Posts
    3,467

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Sometimes IMO is just a filler phrase, or used when the whole debate is based upon opinion, ie: IMO, Johnny Depp is an underrated actor. But in a serious philosophical debate, IMO, JMO, and "My two cents" seem a little passive aggressive. Like, "Let me spend five paragraphs telling me why you're completely wrong and a terrible person, to boot, but soften it by saying, 'JMO .'" It's kind of like when someone curses you out and then says, sarcastically, "Have a nice day!"

    It's also usually completely unnecessary. If you're writing it, I'm going to assume it's your opinion.

    Also, the phrase, "You are entitled to your opinion" makes me want to throw things. Um, yeah...thanks?
    It is my opinion and it is just my opinion are different phrases. When you say it is my opinion, you make no suggestion that your view shouldn't be questioned as it could be an opinion resultant of serious scholarly inquiry. But if you say it is 'just my opinion' you're saying that it is only an opinion and nothing more which indicates that your view ought to be left unchallenged.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

    “No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

    My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

  9. #59
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    It is my opinion and it is just my opinion are different phrases. When you say it is my opinion, you make no suggestion that your view shouldn't be questioned as it could be an opinion resultant of serious scholarly inquiry. But if you say it is 'just my opinion' you're saying that it is only an opinion and nothing more which indicates that your view ought to be left unchallenged.
    you really can't stand for people to have opinions differing from yours can you?

    just my opinion
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  10. #60
    garbage
    Guest

    Default

    Interesting thread, all around.

    Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    But if you say it is 'just my opinion' you're saying that it is only an opinion and nothing more which indicates that your view ought to be left unchallenged.
    If this phrase is said by a participant within the context of a debate or 'intellectual' discussion, then it seems that you should be free to challenge the view, regardless.

    Additionally, it doesn't seem that the social graces that deter people from challenging 'opinions' apply to such discussions.

    If you are after the truth and don't want 'bad' ideas floating around during a debate, is there anything else would deter you from questioning them?

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 61
    Last Post: 04-13-2014, 09:17 AM
  2. Just Lost My Postginity
    By TheAdaptableUser in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-01-2009, 07:02 AM
  3. New here and just want to finally figure out my type.
    By LeetoLydia in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-19-2008, 09:29 PM
  4. My Opinion on the Necessity for Shoes
    By disTant_eCHo in forum Home, Garden and Nature
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 02-19-2008, 03:20 AM
  5. This is just beginning to get on my nerves...
    By MerkW in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 01-21-2008, 12:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO