User Tag List

First 2101112

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post

Agreed. There now. That wasn't so hard, was it?
    We agree on everything besides one point: the phrase of 'in just my opinion' obviously has more 'pros' than 'cons'. I don't believe that this is true; as I've argued extensively: it discourages people from questioning the information they received and invites its communicator to deny responsibility for his or her actions. This does not show that it has more cons than pros, but for the very least it shows that its not obvious that it has more pros than cons. Any proposition that discourages independent thinking and taking responsibility of one's actions isn't clearly desirable.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

That they do not discuss their opinions further with you says nothing about denying their responsibility in having them. You can't make a leap like that. The only thing you can infer is that they are denying you.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    We agree on everything besides one point: the phrase of 'in just my opinion' obviously has more 'pros' than 'cons'. I don't believe that this is true; as I've argued extensively: it discourages people from questioning the information they received and invites its communicator to deny responsibility for his or her actions. This does not show that it has more cons than pros, but for the very least it shows that its not obvious that it has more pros than cons. Any proposition that discourages independent thinking and taking responsibility of one's actions isn't clearly desirable.
    K.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Rez View Post
    That they do not discuss their opinions further with you says nothing about denying their responsibility in having them. You can't make a leap like that. The only thing you can infer is that they are denying you.
    I'm afraid that you've missed the boat my friend, this notion was already addressed over 20 posts ago.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

What we have here is not 'simple aspects of interpersonal communication'. This thread is for discussions of complex notions where 'simple interpersonal communication' does not fly. This means that one-liners, or posts that are composed of several mutli-colored verses in enlarged font are also inappropriate.

You can start your own thread for conversation of that nature, as it has no place in mine. As for communicating about simple matters, again, this is just not what my thread is about.

.i wasn't honestly looking to rubbish your post i was genuine in my answer that what you stated is applicable sometimes and not others.I am not going to read your original post again and it was you who took me to task.At no point did i rubbish your opinion so telling me not to post seems a little harsh I.M.O.i am now confused as to want you want from me? lets stray away from the subject matter for just a second. How would you like me to speak for you? (2) how am i in so much trouble for saying a few words? so your thread can run smoothly again maybe we could take this to my introduction thread where surely i can do as i please, you could say hello also which would be nice.To help you i think this where i made my mistake.The man/woman above probably or (I.M.O) proceeded with an analogy something like mine then thought one step beyond and slipped the answer in without a ripple.I do not know if i would have thought one step beyond, possibly? I simply scrolled down noticed the big writing posted my post then went to see what it said.Lets take it to my personal thread. I will try to be more subtle & witty but cant promise.

Oh good, now we see an honest attempt to start a meaningful conversation of some kind.

If this is your purpose, you are in the wrong thread. The purpose of this discussion is to address subjects that require a great deal of subtlety, if you're looking to avoid long-winded arguments and learn 'good quips' try another thread in the Bonfire or the Fluff zone. There are plenty of threads that serve exactly that purpose, there is no need for you to try and introduce that element to this one. I assure you, we have more than enough of it on the forum, not even its most ardent fans could complain about a scarcity of that element. If you already find that this post is too long winded for you or difficult to understand, just stop reading, close the thread and don't re-open it again.

Now, that is a compelling reason why you should not post here. How can you make a contribution if you've outright stated that you won't bother reading the opening post and bemoan the fact that I took you to the task of doing so in the first place.

What I want from you is to either stop posting or at least make an effort to produce thoughtful feedback to the subjects that are being discussed by other posters.

People start threads because there is a particularly issue that they want to discuss. Its not in your prerogative to wander just into any thread and babble about whatever your whim shall command. How would you like it if I entered your introductory thread with my 'long-winded arguments'?

You made a mistake of misunderstanding the purpose of this thread. It seems to be that you've assumed that this is one of those typical fluff or bonfire activities where you could talk about anything regardless of how silly or mundane.

I see, so the previous poster led you to believe that this is a fluff discourse, now you know that this is not so.[/QUOTE]

ello

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I use it when I don't want people to think I'm stating absolutes. If I don't want to welcome a debate when stating an opinion, I'll be forth-right about it, as I have been in the past.

I'm willing to debate everything, but I'm not willing to debate with everyone.
    To die would be an awfully big adventure - Peter Pan

INFJ ~ 4w5 sp/sx ~ RLOAI ~ Inclusion e/w=1/0 (Melancholy Compulsive) Control: e/w=0/6 (Supine) Affection: e/w=4/0 (Phlegmatic Melancholy)

Ginkgo

On this forum and throughout our culture I find the phrase in the title of this thread quite common. 'It is just my opinion'. On the most basic level, such a notion simply means this is what I think and nothing else. In other words, I am no authority on the subject, so you don't have to accept my beliefs uncritically or you don't have to believe what I believe. That is all well and good, we shouldn't thoughtlessly believe in many of the views that we come across, however, this phrase carries another far more ominous connotation.

Usually the conversationalist makes this utterance after they have stated a view about the world, and often a controversial one. For the sake of an example, view the post of one of our members below.

Such a tactic allows the communicator to deny responsibility for his or her actions and thereby render the expressed views impervious to criticism. He or she puts forth an appeal to pity by implying that since the notion in question is a mere 'opinion', it ought not to be questioned or criticized.

What's wrong with a view that can't be questioned? First of all it gets people thinking about an important matter and leads them to suppose that there is something to the 'just my opinion' and portrays any contrary notion as flatly unacceptable. In short, this phrase appears to be no more than an instance of harmless politeness at the outset, yet is actually an insidious strategy for people to force their views on others without carrying any responsibility for any harm or false beliefs incurred by others as a result.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I quite like the phrase. It's a short way of saying: "Hey. I don't really care what you think about it and you are allowed to make up your mind any damn way you please. But these are my thoughts on the subject, who knows it might be useful to you.".

But I use "Just my two cents." for the same reason.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

On this forum and throughout our culture I find the phrase in the title of this thread quite common. 'It is just my opinion'.

Such a tactic allows the communicator to deny responsibility for his or her actions and thereby render the expressed views impervious to criticism.
    Sounds like folk typology.

MBTI
    STP

Couldn't one also say that the person is taking responsibility for their view?

^ See, now that is avoiding responsibility.