User Tag List

First 9101112 Last

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    I do know what I'm talking about, my viewpoint on this topic is just quite different than yours. While you might think one-liners are "idiotic drivel", there are others who think walls of text on simple aspects of interpersonal communication are just the same. ::
    What we have here is not 'simple aspects of interpersonal communication'. This thread is for discussions of complex notions where 'simple interpersonal communication' does not fly. This means that one-liners, or posts that are composed of several mutli-colored verses in enlarged font are also inappropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Those that require too much effort to communicate with, especially in simple matters, often lead dissatisfying lives because others find them bothersome to deal with. That is not an opinion, it is a fact. :

You can start your own thread for conversation of that nature, as it has no place in mine. As for communicating about simple matters, again, this is just not what my thread is about.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayeaye View Post
    I am new and need to learn good quips like potato / tomato to avoid long winded arguments.
    .i wasn't honestly looking to rubbish your post i was genuine in my answer that what you stated is applicable sometimes and not others.I am not going to read your original post again and it was you who took me to task.At no point did i rubbish your opinion so telling me not to post seems a little harsh I.M.O.i am now confused as to want you want from me? lets stray away from the subject matter for just a second. How would you like me to speak for you? (2) how am i in so much trouble for saying a few words? so your thread can run smoothly again maybe we could take this to my introduction thread where surely i can do as i please, you could say hello also which would be nice.To help you i think this where i made my mistake.The man/woman above probably or (I.M.O) proceeded with an analogy something like mine then thought one step beyond and slipped the answer in without a ripple.I do not know if i would have thought one step beyond, possibly? I simply scrolled down noticed the big writing posted my post then went to see what it said.Lets take it to my personal thread. I will try to be more subtle & witty but cant promise.[/QUOTE]

Oh good, now we see an honest attempt to start a meaningful conversation of some kind.

I am new and need to learn good quips like potato / tomato to avoid long winded arguments.
    If this is your purpose, you are in the wrong thread. The purpose of this discussion is to address subjects that require a great deal of subtlety, if you're looking to avoid long-winded arguments and learn 'good quips' try another thread in the Bonfire or the Fluff zone. There are plenty of threads that serve exactly that purpose, there is no need for you to try and introduce that element to this one. I assure you, we have more than enough of it on the forum, not even its most ardent fans could complain about a scarcity of that element. If you already find that this post is too long winded for you or difficult to understand, just stop reading, close the thread and don't re-open it again.

I am not going to read your original post again and it was you who took me to task..
    Now, that is a compelling reason why you should not post here. How can you make a contribution if you've outright stated that you won't bother reading the opening post and bemoan the fact that I took you to the task of doing so in the first place.

At no point did i rubbish your opinion so telling me not to post seems a little harsh I.M.O.i am now confused as to want you want from me?..
    What I want from you is to either stop posting or at least make an effort to produce thoughtful feedback to the subjects that are being discussed by other posters.

To help you i think this where i made my mistake.?..
    People start threads because there is a particularly issue that they want to discuss. Its not in your prerogative to wander just into any thread and babble about whatever your whim shall command. How would you like it if I entered your introductory thread with my 'long-winded arguments'?

To help you i think this where i made my mistake.?..
    You made a mistake of misunderstanding the purpose of this thread. It seems to be that you've assumed that this is one of those typical fluff or bonfire activities where you could talk about anything regardless of how silly or mundane.

To help you i think this where i made my mistake.The man/woman above probably or (I.M.O) proceeded with an analogy something like mine then thought one step beyond and slipped the answer in without a ripple.I do not know if i would have thought one step beyond, possibly? I simply scrolled down noticed the big writing posted my post then went to see what it said.Lets take it to my personal thread. I will try to be more subtle & witty but cant promise.
    I see, so the previous poster led you to believe that this is a fluff discourse, now you know that this is not so.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    So this is the stuff moderators are made of. They're really scraping the bottom of the bucket now days, eh?

Or has mingling with the higher-ups inspired this brazen display of idiocy?
    (1) Not once have I abused powers of moderation, nor will I, as I do not need to, especially when responding to people such as yourself.

(2) Mingling with the higher ups? That's a plebian attitude to have. Take your imaginary social rebellion elsewhere.

(3) My attitude and demeanor have not changed since becoming a moderator, nor will they.

(4) I might be a moderator, but I'm a forum member too, and as such can participate in threads so long as I abide by the forum's rules, which I am doing.

(5) Your caustic demeanor is so cute. Just my opinion.

(6) You don't have to like me, and I don't have to like you, and we can agree to disagree, and life will go on.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    That's great, if you can't contribute any more than a one-liner or several verses of multi-colored sentences in enlarged font, you don't belong here.
    I was done until disregard began yipping.

If you stop replying to me, I shall have nothing else to say, as I indicated before.

You don't like my viewpoint, that's OK, I'll live, it will take some time, but I'll get over it.

Please continue your discussion and have a great day, serioulsy.

-Halla

You can start your own thread for conversation of that nature, as it has no place in mine.
    Enjoy your thread!
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

It will be only as useful to you as the critique of pure reason, abstract algebra or at any rate something of far greater subtlety than you could understand or appreciate.
    This is funny, your a good laugh :yim_rolling_on_the_:

What we have here is not 'simple aspects of interpersonal communication'. This thread is for discussions of complex notions where 'simple interpersonal communication' does not fly. This means that one-liners, or posts that are composed of several mutli-colored verses in enlarged font are also inappropriate.

You can start your own thread for conversation of that nature, as it has no place in mine. As for communicating about simple matters, again, this is just not what my thread is about.

.i wasn't honestly looking to rubbish your post i was genuine in my answer that what you stated is applicable sometimes and not others.I am not going to read your original post again and it was you who took me to task.At no point did i rubbish your opinion so telling me not to post seems a little harsh I.M.O.i am now confused as to want you want from me? lets stray away from the subject matter for just a second. How would you like me to speak for you? (2) how am i in so much trouble for saying a few words? so your thread can run smoothly again maybe we could take this to my introduction thread where surely i can do as i please, you could say hello also which would be nice.To help you i think this where i made my mistake.The man/woman above probably or (I.M.O) proceeded with an analogy something like mine then thought one step beyond and slipped the answer in without a ripple.I do not know if i would have thought one step beyond, possibly? I simply scrolled down noticed the big writing posted my post then went to see what it said.Lets take it to my personal thread. I will try to be more subtle & witty but cant promise.

Oh good, now we see an honest attempt to start a meaningful conversation of some kind.

If this is your purpose, you are in the wrong thread. The purpose of this discussion is to address subjects that require a great deal of subtlety, if you're looking to avoid long-winded arguments and learn 'good quips' try another thread in the Bonfire or the Fluff zone. There are plenty of threads that serve exactly that purpose, there is no need for you to try and introduce that element to this one. I assure you, we have more than enough of it on the forum, not even its most ardent fans could complain about a scarcity of that element. If you already find that this post is too long winded for you or difficult to understand, just stop reading, close the thread and don't re-open it again.

Now, that is a compelling reason why you should not post here. How can you make a contribution if you've outright stated that you won't bother reading the opening post and bemoan the fact that I took you to the task of doing so in the first place.

What I want from you is to either stop posting or at least make an effort to produce thoughtful feedback to the subjects that are being discussed by other posters.

People start threads because there is a particularly issue that they want to discuss. Its not in your prerogative to wander just into any thread and babble about whatever your whim shall command. How would you like it if I entered your introductory thread with my 'long-winded arguments'?

You made a mistake of misunderstanding the purpose of this thread. It seems to be that you've assumed that this is one of those typical fluff or bonfire activities where you could talk about anything regardless of how silly or mundane.

I see, so the previous poster led you to believe that this is a fluff discourse, now you know that this is not so.[/QUOTE]

I am not sure how to properly use the site , he said all the above.

You simply wont stop you have been rude to me, so come on my introduction thread and say hello.He didn't lead me to believe anything, your bonkers.I didn't say i haven't read your opening summary or how could i post a reply? i said 'I am not reading it again' there is an world of difference.
    your general point was someone said this and you thought they were trying to use it as a tactical advantage. I had no idea like you, so i said possibly so, maybe not.THIS IS MY OWN ANSWER.now maybe the sheer length you took to describe the point you were making confused me, possibly yes, maybe no.One thing that is true though i am trying to have a meaningful conversation with you, .I would love you to enter my personal thread with a long winded argument,

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

I can't respond at length as I've got to get to work, but the short version is that there are conventional meanings of a word or a phrase. When you look it up in a dictionary, you get several definitions, but one of them is usually ranked as number one or its primary definition.

The speech-act is a result of people assuming by convention that the speaker has the primary definition in mind. Those who interpret it differently simply misinterpret it, or the speaker who uses the non-primary definition miscommunicates unless he clarifies that his definition is such. This is actually a distinct example of how a person can make a speech act that does not represent his intentions. In the case of my opinion, somebody may intend to convey mere politeness, yet unintentionally they discourage others from questioning their views and compel them to assume that something substantial has been communicated by the speaker.

The general message is inevitable because although there may be many ways to interpet it, there often is a primary way and others are of a rather ancillary nature.
    So, hypothetically, if we are discussing how to treat someone struggling with gender identity, and the person before me says something and I post after them and say the exact opposite thing, and I use "imo" in there somewhere to soften the confrontational nature of the interaction (which is itself a new phenomenon, isn't it? the online forum--not able to replicate easily irl) I would be guilty of the bolded above?

What is the philosophical model or term that means you shouldn't throw out the baby with the bathwater? It seems unwise to me to be deadset against a phrase that, when used, has more pros than cons associated with it. How can discussion between human beings not allow room for this kind of concept? Or should human beings just not speak unless they are rigorously educated in a logical classical education and have earned that right?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    So, hypothetically, if we are discussing how to treat someone struggling with gender identity, and the person before me says something and I post after them and say the exact opposite thing, and I use "imo" in there somewhere to soften the confrontational nature of the interaction (which is itself a new phenomenon, isn't it? the online forum--not able to replicate easily irl) I would be guilty of the bolded above?:
    You wouldn't be guilty if you clarified what you meant, but if you just ended your commentary with in my opinion, then yes you would be. For example, you could say this is the belief that I arrived at on the basis of my own reasoning, I do not cling to it dogmatically and you are free to question it.

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    Or should human beings just not speak unless they are rigorously educated in a logical classical education and have earned that right?
    I think that we simply should choose our words with greater care, it would greatly diminish miscommunications and force people to take greater responsibility for what they say.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

I think that we simply should choose our words with greater care, it would greatly diminish miscommunications and force people to take greater responsibility for what they say.

Agreed. There now. That wasn't so hard, was it?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Well, that's just his opinion...

MBTI
    GONE

What's wrong with a view that can't be questioned? First of all it gets people thinking about an important matter and leads them to suppose that there is something to the 'just my opinion' and portrays any contrary notion as flatly unacceptable. In short, this phrase appears to be no more than an instance of harmless politeness at the outset, yet is actually an insidious strategy for people to force their views on others without carrying any responsibility for any harm or false beliefs incurred by others as a result.
    LOL this reminds me of my Spanish teacher in Mexico City. He would always say things like "para mi experencia" aka "in my experience" to start or finish sentences like: "That street is too gay for me. It's bizarre" or "Women are jealous. They have wild imaginations." I thought it was funny but my friend who took the class with me would get soooooo irritated partly for the 'disowning of responsibility' you allude to.

It can be an easy way for people to get out of discussing anything further. I think usually people say that consciously in discussions where they don't really want to get into it.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari