User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ayeaye View Post
    Possibly sometimes, maybe not others I.M.O.
    Oh good, at least its 'in my opinion' and not 'its just my opinion', at least that way we could ask is your opinion and nothing else, as in no supporting rational in addition to the opinion? Yet in the case of 'just my opinion', that discussion is done and over with as at the get go it is made clear that there is nothing but an opinion or a judgment that ought not to be defended. Since you said in my opinion without the 'just' restriction, I will ask you to explain the reasoning which led you to arrive at your conclusion.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    NICE

Possibly sometimes, maybe not others I.M.O.
    You'll be sorry.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    As amost everything people say is blatantly an opinion, look at the slight change of agency by the word "just". In the way a child would say "The toy broke" (rather than "I broke the toy") creates a confusion: an adult would not normally caveat the premise of a strongly felt belief with the diminutive statement (for example, "God does not exist - just my opinion, guys.") The phrase lessens the ability to seem reasonable with a valid response. After all, would you tell a child who claims the toy broke, "No. You broke it." A response of "Be more careful, in future, little fella" would seem more appropriate.

In other words the agency of the proponent has reverted to a child ego state and is in effect playing a game.

I contend that the motives are relevant, even unconcious ones.
    Intentions are relevant in small groups and private conversations where it is easy to pay attention to the speaker's private mindstates. Yet in large congregations and written discourse, it is almost impossible to pay close enough attention to the communicator to discover what his intentions are. In that case it will be necessary to determine his meaning by the conventional definitions of his words and phrases. This is where the speech-acts become an indispensible part of our interpretation, where a person carries out an action just by making an utterance.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    Oh good, at least its 'in my opinion' and not 'its just my opinion', at least that way we could ask is your opinion and nothing else, as in no supporting rational in addition to the opinion? Yet in the case of 'just my opinion', that discussion is done and over with as at the get go it is made clear that there is nothing but an opinion or a judgment that ought not to be defended. Since you said in my opinion without the 'just' restriction, I will ask you to explain the reasoning which led you to arrive at your conclusion.
    I have no idea what you talking about.sorry the I.M.O was just jest and has nothing to do with what i was actually saying.My answer was possibly it can be sometimes used as what you said but it can also be used innocently hence possibly blah blah or potato tomato. Now i have already said the potato/tomato was said first and is a better analogy. Does this help clarify what i actually mean?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

It's nap time. Just my opinion...
    :zzz:
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

I have no idea what you talking about.sorry the I.M.O was just jest and has nothing to do with what i was actually saying.My answer was possibly it can be sometimes used as what you said but it can also be used innocently hence possibly blah blah or potato tomato. Now i have already said the potato/tomato was said first and is a better analogy. Does this help clarify what i actually mean?
    Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rez View Post
    A 9 page thread on the statement "Just my opinion".

I have absolutely nothing to offer except to say that this is the height of wankery. Kind of impressed actually.

And yes, I'm just being an asshole. Carry on.

I'd say both of you are in the wrong thread, especially if you can't see a distinction between how a word is pronounced and its formal definition. If you think that the proper definition of a word is as unimportant as its proper pronounciation, then this thread has nothing to offer you, so don't waste your time. It will be only as useful to you as the critique of pure reason, abstract algebra or at any rate something of far greater subtlety than you could understand or appreciate. Certainly not to say that this thread is nearly as complex as those subjects, but if you don't even see the difference between those distinctions, you're incapable of even beginning to understand it.

Try the fluff zone next. It is quite ironic that we get this idiotic drivel virtually hours after I thanked everyone for making a thoughtful contribution to a discussion and remarked how rare it is today on the internet culture. No, seriously, if you don't know what you're talking about, don't post at all. If you have nothing but a one liner to post, just save it for another occasion.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

I do believe 'just sayin' works almost the same way as 'just my opinion'.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

I'd say both of you are in the wrong thread, especially if you can't see a distinction between how a word is pronounced and its formal definition.
    That's just your opinion.

No, seriously, if you don't know what you're talking about, don't post at all. If you have nothing but a one liner to post, just save it for another occasion.
    I do know what I'm talking about, my viewpoint on this topic is just quite different than yours. While you might think one-liners are "idiotic drivel", there are others who think walls of text on simple aspects of interpersonal communication are just the same.

Those that require too much effort to communicate with, especially in simple matters, often lead dissatisfying lives because others find them bothersome to deal with. That is not an opinion, it is a fact.

My work here is done. Enjoy your opinions, and I'll enjoy mine.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

I am new and need to learn good quips like potato / tomato to avoid long winded arguments.i wasn't honestly looking to rubbish your post i was genuine in my answer that what you stated is applicable sometimes and not others.I am not going to read your original post again and it was you who took me to task.At no point did i rubbish your opinion so telling me not to post seems a little harsh I.M.O.i am now confused as to want you want from me? lets stray away from the subject matter for just a second. How would you like me to speak for you? (2) how am i in so much trouble for saying a few words? so your thread can run smoothly again maybe we could take this to my introduction thread where surely i can do as i please, you could say hello also which would be nice.To help you i think this where i made my mistake.The man/woman above probably or (I.M.O) proceeded with an analogy something like mine then thought one step beyond and slipped the answer in without a ripple.I do not know if i would have thought one step beyond, possibly? I simply scrolled down noticed the big writing posted my post then went to see what it said.Lets take it to my personal thread. I will try to be more subtle & witty but cant promise.oh dear i was taking a leak & thought of something else sorry. surely your post is just a matter of opinion or conjecture? so what exactly are you talking about?

MBTI
    INFP

Po-TAE-toe

Po-TAH-toe

To-MAE-toe.

To-MAH-toe.

My work here is done. Enjoy your opinions, and I'll enjoy mine.
    So this is the stuff moderators are made of.
    Last edited by Night; 01-27-2010 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Insult removed