User Tag List

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you decide that you like someone on Typology Central?

Default How do you decide that you like someone on Typology Central?

I am not talking about feeling attracted to the opposite sex here, just generally what makes you decide that you like a person on this forum, what about their posts makes you interested to find out more about them?

I have realised that for me it is not related to type at all, I have immediately felt drawn to people with a completely different personality type (like ESTPs and ISTPs) while some INFJs made me think: "What the heck is wrong with you?"

In general if someone comes across as a sane, decent human being that can articulate his opinions without offending everyone in shouting range I like them. Also not trying to be rebellious and different for the sake of being rebellious and different like some 15-year-old teenager is helpful, I like people who can think for themselves and voice an honest opinon that might not be considered "supercool" by the majority.
    Likes Cloudpatrol liked this post

827 sp/so
    SLE Ti

good question! (I almost would have put this in the other psychology topics area to get more serious answers if I was you )

usually it's a combination of factors

a sense of genuineness is always a good thing- that they really mean to help people out and learn from others and such- I guess I should throw a dose of humility and ability to laugh at yourself in with that

I usually am not a huge fan of the really flashy posters who seem out to grab attention- that's probably part of my contrary nature though

naturally, I like almost everyone- the ones that I end up connecting with most here are the ones that I talk to by pm or wall postings though- usually they contact me because I'm an idiot and never contact anyone first on forums (though I do in real life!)
    Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom? -Terry Pratchett

Interesting question. It's difficult for me to group people into "likeable" and "not likeable". People just are and I observe them.

One policy I follow is that first, second, third, whatever impression can be false, there are always some underlying reasons to people's behaviour, so I try not to underestimate people and always give them a chance. People have better days, worse days, they change, so they might give off positive or negative vibes, depending on them and myself. Therefore, in a way, I "like" everybody because I want to see what will happen.

It's situational for me, something they say initially catches my eye, whether it's something funny, smart, insightful, fitting my mindset at that particular moment. I don't look at type at all. When a particular person catches my eye, I tend to "focus" on them for a while to get some kind of a picture of them, whenever they post in the threads, they just pop up more than others. When I have done that, I move on to somebody else and the previous ones are saved in the "bank". So, when I happen to encounter them again in threads, I immediately get the sense: "Oh, he/she gave me a positive/negative vibe the last time, what will it be this time?". It's like mapping people I observe.

Consistency: You say what you mean, and it doesn't change to please your audience.
    Trustworthiness: I trust your motives, the image you portray seems genuine.
    Confidence: You have the guts to say what everyone else is thinking, but do so tactfully.
    Charm: You have life in you and it sparkles throughout your posts.
    Humility: NOT false modesty, but a little is alright if I find you to be truly humble.
    Literacy: Your posts are coherent, intelligent, and show effort.

`~~Philosoflying~~` Array SillySapienne's Avatar

^ What she said, fo sho!

'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Habitual Fi LineStepper Array JocktheMotie's Avatar

If I think they're funny and they have some good thoughts, I like them.

If I think they're not funny and stupid, I don't.

Likes Kho liked this post

I like decency - and friendliness. People who are cooperative and contributing. Not a big fan of off topic posts; too much Ne is a bit annoying IMO
    I have no sense of humour.

I guess if they're interesting and we seem to get along rather well. Best I can explain it!

173 so/sx

For me, the big factor is niceness/politeness. Sure, someone can be nice and funny with ME, but if I check out their earlier posts and they were an obnoxious d-bag to someone else, then I don't like them.

I also agree with Peguy - chemistry matter a lot.
    and it's nice enough to
    make a man
    weep, but I don't
    weep, do

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw or gryffindor (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Permabanned Array

As long as someone doesn't come off completely arrogant in their posts I normally like them. Also if they take the time to acknowledge me, you get a +10.
    Last edited by JTG1984; 01-22-2010 at 12:57 PM.