User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Nicknames

MBTI
    ENTP

Default Nicknames

I was thinking about nicknames cos I was just talking earlier with my pal and we were saying how you sometimes get people who want a nickname but never get one, and vice versa, and then you get people who try to give themselves a nickname, and yet only they ever use it - it never catches on - and this gives them an image of being slightly pathetic.

Then you get the nicknames which by rights should be embarrassing, but which just seem to come through as cool. Like my brother, whose nickname is "Smello", cos when he was a little kid he used to pile up his dirty underwear and socks under his bed until they stank - but everyone still calls him it, and he wears it with pride.

Me, I've been called a few things... hm, but the only nickname that's stuck (to my chagrin initially, then I embraced it as you could see by my former avatar) was Garak, as in the DS9 character, which they started calling me in the office about a year ago. Oh, and Beavis, when I was a teenager, cos I used to laugh like the cartoon character, uhuhuh huh huh huhuh!

I want y'all to tell me (if you can bear to) what nicknames you've had in your life, and it'd be great to hear the stories behind them. If you haven't got any of your own, what about people you've known in the past? Teachers, bosses etc?

C'mon - spill!
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I was once called "The Machine" in school, because I showed up early every day, sat down in class and started working as soon as they opened the doors, and worked until the bell rang, and was usually the last one out. I walked through the halls taking the same route every time, and according to one person, "looked through people as though they didn't exist." I also rarely interacted with anyone, and focused rather rigidly on my work, worried that I would get distracted and receive poorer grades if I did otherwise.

And yes, that's part of why I chose my avatar. My behavior can be similar to C3-P0's at times.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    And yes, that's part of why I chose my avatar. My behavior can be similar to C3-P0's at times.
    I always thought it suited you to a T - methodical and a teeny bit anal but nurturing and honest and so lovable with it too!
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

MBTI
    yupp

Well I recently obtained the nickname Rollie from my room mate, when she got the mail and say some junk mail had been adressed as Rollie *mylastname* so now I am Rollie. I know not that exciting....

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

A variety of Megan diminutives, and then there's Rio, which a lot of people call me, for the girl on the DD album cover. My older sister says the laugh in the song sounds like mine, as if "she's killed and eaten somebody." Thanks, sis. Love you too! :-p
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    Well I recently obtained the nickname Rollie from my room mate, when she got the mail and say some junk mail had been adressed as Rollie *mylastname* so now I am Rollie. I know not that exciting....
    Junk mail is the BEST for mauling peoples' names.
    Neutral Good
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I've actually never had a nickname! my name can't be shortened or lengthened at all!

ok- I lie- I got called "la extranjera" the whole time I was in Brazil because nobody could pronounce my name- and my dad has called me Grover for years, and not even he knows why!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I've actually never had a nickname! my name can't be shortened or lengthened at all!
    That's no obstacle - I know a woman called Clare and she has about a dozen nicknames lol

and my dad has called me Grover for years, and not even he knows why!
    Those are the best kind - nobody knows why we call my youngest kid Helga either! It just started when she was a baby - the only theory we've got is that she was really big and strong, and reminded us of a stereotypical East German shot-putter!

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    Junk mail is the BEST for mauling peoples' names.
    Except it's nowhere near my actual name.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    Except it's nowhere near my actual name.
    My father got a mailing once that DESTROYED his name. I laughed until I saw spots. There were Ws, spaces, extra syllables. Classic.
    Neutral Good
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code