User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Hello Jen,

I very much enjoyed my visit to Alabama. I went to visit faith during the height of summer and it was very beautiful. It was also my first visit to the states, and I plan to go back as soon as possible, maybe even look into studying there. Afterall, I did not go to Alabama just for the scenery, rock climbing, or shooting practice

The best word I can think to describe the US is "wide", everything seemed wider; the roads, doorways, parking spaces, distances, driveways, personalities, waistlines, etc. It is difficult to appreciate how much further apart everything is, and how much more space there is. The contrast with the UK, and especially the areas surrounding London is extreme.

Regards,
    Lee
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

MBTI
    ESFJ

nottaprettygal & Dr Haight,

I think that the best way to describe what is "up" with me and faith, is to say that I have never met anyone else who I could be so happily stoned with.

Regards,
    Lee
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Oberon,

Yes, the thread provided temporary relief from the tedium that constitutes working.

Regards,
    Lee

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by nocturne View Post
    Night,

Thank you for the compliment, though I wonder which blog you are referring to. I once linked to my weblog on this site, but only that one time, and I did not think many were aware of it. In regard to your question, I do not know who Richard Cory is, but my guess is that he killed himself because he was infected and would soon turn into a ravenous zombie.

Regards,
    Lee
    Now that's a theory I've never heard before, but it would make a fine basis for a screenplay...

Here's the reference, courtesy of Bartleby:

Richard Cory
    Edwin Arlington Robinson

WHENEVER Richard Cory went down town,
    We people on the pavement looked at him:
    He was a gentleman from sole to crown,
    Clean favored, and imperially slim.

And he was always quietly arrayed,
    And he was always human when he talked;
    But still he fluttered pulses when he said,
    “Good-morning,” and he glittered when he walked.

And he was rich,—yes, richer than a king,—
    And admirably schooled in every grace:
    In fine, we thought that he was everything
    To make us wish that we were in his place.

So on we worked, and waited for the light,
    And went without the meat, and cursed the bread;
    And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,
    Went home and put a bullet through his head.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Now that's a theory I've never heard before, but it would make a fine basis for a screenplay...

Here's the reference, courtesy of Bartleby:
    Yes, that's it.

Thank you, Oberon.

Oberon

Not at all, it only took a moment.

The zombie interpretation of "Richard Cory" is unreferenced in any of the peer review journals and abstracts that I could find. This may warrant a monograph, properly credited to Lee of course...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Not at all, it only took a moment.

The zombie interpretation of "Richard Cory" is unreferenced in any of the peer review journals and abstracts that I could find. This may warrant a monograph, properly credited to Lee of course...
    Haha...agreed.

What are your thoughts on the poem? Do you find it an example of dynamic irony?

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Haha...agreed.

What are your thoughts on the poem? Do you find it an example of dynamic irony?
    I tend toward a more concrete view, personally. I see it as a work that asks the question "If Richard Cory (whom we had taken for a guiding light on the question of how to live) has blown his brains out, then what hope is there for the likes of us?"

Consequently, I find it beautifully executed, but at its core nihilistic.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

I tend toward a more concrete view, personally. I see it as a work that asks the question "If Richard Cory (whom we had taken for a guiding light on the question of how to live) has blown his brains out, then what hope is there for the likes of us?"

Consequently, I find it beautifully executed, but at its core nihilistic.
    I like this.

As he is the idealized subject, his suicide leaves little left for us to seek. I think another approach could be a call to establish individuality outside of socio-fiscal context.

Maybe the struggle is the reward.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    I like this.

As he is the idealized subject, his suicide leaves little left for us to seek. I think another approach could be a call to establish individuality outside of socio-fiscal context.
    By this do you mean that the author would posit Cory as a non-example, thereby saying that social and economic merit are a false path? That would be an essentially Marxist reading, I think. It may be quite valid, but I would want to review the author's other work before pursuing that thesis.

I think the text supports the idea that there was something other that social status or wealth that was attractive about Cory, something intrinsic to the character himself. Yes, he was rich--richer than a king--but he was also imperially slim, and "glittered when he walked." This speaks of qualities distinct from class; the narrator considered Cory naturally charismatic.