EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    ha ha -- now that was funny!
    Pffft!
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Hello Xander,

I must confess that I do not understand your question. I am almost always thinking about something or other, and looking for new and interesting ideas or information. I guess you might call this "conceptual experimentation", though I am really quite unclear as to what you mean. You will have to elucidate if you desire a better response.

Regards,
    Lee
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    To which I respond, why not?

What one does to cure boredom may in fact compel it in others. Patterned disinterest does not need to confine itself with formulae.
    ...which would have been a fine and valid answer, had the query been directed to you.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    ...which would have been a fine and valid answer, had the query been directed to you.
    Haha..but, I like Lee.

So, the question was indirectly directed to me.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by nocturne View Post
    Oberon,

In the course of ordinary conversation it is unecessary to explain our decision-making procedure, and others will correctly assume that a decision is made by comparing the available alternatives (often limited by our lack of imagination), and deciding which would be the best trade-off given expected costs and benefits.
    And yet I propose back to you that this is not ordinary conversation, that I find it necessary, that in this case I am not one of the "others" who let their assumptions ride, correct or not... and so I have posed you this question.

I could read a fuller answer into your simple one, something to the effect of "I was bored and, being bored, this appeared to me to be the shortest route out of boredom."

If that is true, then I have a follow up question: Did it work? Have you alleviated your boredom?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by nocturne View Post
    Hello Xander,

I must confess that I do not understand your question. I am almost always thinking about something or other, and looking for new and interesting ideas or information. I guess you might call this "conceptual experimentation", though I am really quite unclear as to what you mean. You will have to elucidate if you desire a better response.

Regards,
    Lee
    My apologies I see now how that could confuse. What I meant was, do you find yourself constructing test scenarios and experiments within your head or practically (as in the style of scientists with flasks and what not or psychologically with your subjects behind mirrored glass) in your free time or is it something which you engage in whilst in such company as those on this forum?

I am interested to find out if your thinking patterns on here are your norm or what happens when you focus on a subject. Not sure why, it seemed more important and fun before... Oh well perhaps we're both bored

Yours Sincerely,
    Xander
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

nocturne:

What makes a muffin a muffin, and a cupcake a cupcake; and why is a muffin not a cupcake and vice versa? *sad*

What made you select "nocturne" as a nick?

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

I think Lee has become "bored" with this thread.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    nocturne:

What makes a muffin a muffin, and a cupcake a cupcake; and why is a muffin not a cupcake and vice versa? *sad*

What made you select "nocturne" as a nick?
    I don't know if this sheds any light on the topic, but Steven Tyler of Aerosmith famously sang:

"You ain't seen nothin'
    'Til you're down on a muffin
    And you're sure to be changin' your ways."

"Cupcake" certainly would not work in place of "muffin" in the above verse; the near-rhyme with "nothin'" would be lost, and the placement of consonants in "cupcake" makes the meter problematic.

I'm unsure if this sheds any light or not.

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I don't know if this sheds any light on the topic, but Steven Tyler of Aerosmith famously sang:

"You ain't seen nothin'
    'Til you're down on a muffin
    And you're sure to be changin' your ways."

"Cupcake" certainly would not work in place of "muffin" in the above verse; the near-rhyme with "nothin'" would be lost, and the placement of consonants in "cupcake" makes the meter problematic.

I'm unsure if this sheds any light or not.
    rofl1: ok. Was thinking maybe a muffin is just a cupcake with dignity, but I guess we shall have to wait for nocturne to be bored again before we get an answer.