User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

After work, I usually go home and shut the door for the rest of the evening. I have also spent long periods of time without leaving the house and it doesn't phase me. It's really fun. What do some of you other highly introverted people do for work (feel free to be as vague as you wish)?

Speaking of which, I was thinking about all of the jobs I've had in my life and I realized that the ones I enjoyed most were usually "part-time jobs" (allowing for more introvert time) or jobs in which I was allowed more introvert time while on the job; the ones I enjoyed the least were usually "full time" and/or didn't allow much on the job introversion.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

Well, I don't know how I would behave in total loneliness, since I still live at my parents home, and occasionally I see some relatives. Friends contact consists of very rare messages of few older friends and 1-2 friends who do boring smalltalk once every then and while over ICQ.

After I left school, I had to wait until study begins, which was a few months. Was for two weeks on vacation, but other than that I nearly never left the house. Sometimes I left for things like dentist, bank stuff, going to relatives, but that was barely anything. There were enough weeks where I did not leave the house.

My friends don't seem to have much of an interest in me anymore (or maybe they just don't show it, just as me) and I am not the guy who goes doing random stuff in the outer world with strangers to find new random friends. Don't know how other people do that.

Well, now after study began, I at least have some reason to leave the house 4 days the week, even if only for a few hours. Could also meet some of my friends once at least, though not very long.

The strange thing is, it did not even totally throw me out of the way. Or maybe it did, I had my moments. But now I feel I am out of it mostly, I am actually relaxed about it and enjoy all the free time I have to think about myself and things which interest me, and I have still my fun. Though, there is some bitter-sweet thing about it - I can have my time and my thoughts, but there is also this strong feel of being rejected.

So, yeah, I guess I can take part in the Super Introverted Thread.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by speculative View Post
    I grew up on a farm out in the middle of nowhere. As a kid, it was too far to walk/bike into town (about 10 miles). There were no other kids around in the valley my age, and the nearest house was about a mile away. So, I grew up playing piano, watching TV, playing with Legos, playing Atari (before the age of Nintendo :p ), writing, going for walks out in the woods, raising farm cats and dogs , etc. I was very aware that the "town kids" (as they were called) were hanging out after school every day or on weekends, having fun.

As a result, I grew up acting rather formal towards people, since I mainly interacted with other kids my age in "official" settings that were always managed by adults/teachers/authority figures. (School, sports, academic activities, etc.) By the time I was more free to get out in the world (had a car and had gas to put in it), I didn't really fit in and everyone else was lightyears ahead of me socially.

Because I didn't have the opportunity to hang out with kids outside of school, I never developed a peer group. So, I attracted people who also didn't have a peer group. Mainly, these were the misfits/outcasts, the ones who were always getting into trouble. Detention, suspension, going to the principle's office, etc. This cultivated a rebellious attitude in me; however, I never adopted their behavior of causing trouble. Of course, I never had a deep friendship with any of these people because they were always wearing the facade of the trouble-maker and putting on that identity, so that they didn't really have an identity of their own.

So, in a small town, there are very few kids anyway to make friends with. If some personality types like INFPs, INTPs, etc. make up 1%-3% of the population, and there are only 1,000 people in your town, then that means there may be only 10 people like you (considering all ages from 1-100) in the entire town. So, you end up making friends with those who are available to make friends with. I was lucky to have a few good friends here & there across the years. A lot of times, you end up compromising, and doing activities together because that's what there is to do.

For a number of reasons, including my lack of a peer group, I was always a target for bullies. This was especially true of the top peer groups like the preppies and the jocks, who wanted to stay on top by putting down those who were not in their group. This gave me a very negative idea of people, and I strongly associated with the "man against society" themes of books we read in class. This continued into high school. In small towns, the drinking isn't out of control, it's epidemic. People start drinking often by 6th grade, and by senior year people come to classes drunk. In high school, the thing to do was to go somewhere and drink. That was it as far as activities went. So, by that time, when I had more freedom to go into town and be part of groups, I avoided that anyway because it didn't seem to offer anything positive. I read The Great Gatsby in one of my English classes, and really identified with its vision of the Roaring 20's and related that to high school society where everyone was partying all the time. I also really related to rebellious art and culture, such as the emerging grunge music of the time and its anit-corporate stance.

(My greatest achievement in school was when I was in junior high, walking toward the bus, and mouthed off to one of the high school "jocks" who was teasing me as I walked by. He ran over and tackled me, and made me apologize etc. However, when I got up and he was walking back to his friends, I flipped him off. He took off after me, and I ran as fast as I could for the bus and beat him into the bus. Of course, with the driver there, he couldn't do anything to me then. I relished my small victory more, because he was the school track star in the 100m, so he was fast and I outran him. )

So, I kind of came from an introverted place really. I test strongly introverted, but sometimes wonder if I am really extroverted, like a left-hander who was taught in school to write with their right hand.

In college, I had a small group of friends/roommates and we had great times. This was probably the best time of my life. There were a lot of people who were like me around that I got along with, and everyone lived in close quarters in the dorms on campus. This was the time/place that I fit in most in life; I don't know if I will ever find another time/place where I fit in with people as much as college. Really, that is my dream in life, above any achievement I could achieve or riches I could earn.

What I've found out in the working world is that most people don't want to hang out with people they work with outside of work. At my first job, everyone got along truly well and liked each other, and even then we only went out as a group about twice in two years. So, if you work long hours, it's difficult because the people you work with become your friends, but they cannot really be your "real" friends. And, as an introvert, if you work around people all day you probably lack the energy to try to go out on the town and be around people after work too. If you're really introverted, you need the weekends to recharge.

I think the most important thing for an introvert is having a small, stable group of friends. If you are constantly glancing off the edges of social groups, like a rock skipping across a lake, that can be very draining while offering little reward. As a strong introvert, I think it's not healthy to expect to have a large number of good friends like extroverts do, but having very few or no friends isn't healthy either.

I really enjoyed the few social groups that I really clicked with. One of these was pep band. Pep band trips were the greatest, we always hoped the team went to state. Pep band members are a wacky group, some outcasts, some achievers, some nerds, etc. I also enjoyed speech and drama, Odyssey of the Mind (one year we built a Rube Goldberg device that was about 10'x10'x10' in size and had 8 steps to the process), and things like Boy's State (we travelled to a town about half a day away and conducted a model state with cities/counties). Soccer was fun (although it only lasted k-3rd grade) because those were the years before kids really started to striate into a social hierarchy. On the unofficial side, there weren't really many "clubs" or things of that nature. However, for a few years off & on we'd play pick-up games of D&D at lunch, and that was really fun.
    Do you attribute your introversion mainly to the way you grew up? It seems like you really do wish to be around people more, yet you talk about needing the weekend to recharge. I would think needing to "recharge" is something innate (even as a young child I had "escape maneuvers" in order to get away and recharge, although I didn't know at the time why I was doing it).

Very interesting post. Makes me wonder how much my introversion is a result of having a somewhat chaotic upbringing and just wanting to get away from it all and how much of it I was just born with. One parent was very introverted, so I know I've got that in my genetics, but your post makes me wonder.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post

It's really fun. What do some of you other highly introverted people do for work (feel free to be as vague as you wish)?
    One postion I had was not good for an introvert. In fact, at that time, things were extroverted in a crazy sort of way. It was everyone's job in the office to pick up the phone every time it rang. (Only the boss was exempt.) Even if you had a deadline to meet, you still had to pick up the phone. If you didn't pick up the phone, you would be looked down upon. However, if the customer talked to you for 20 minutes and you didn't meet your deadline, you would also be looked down on. Everyone was supposed to be "friendly" on the phone, so it wasn't like you could hurry and get things done on the phone to go back to your work - you had to chat the customer up and make small-talk. (Nevermind that the customer themselves might be in a mood to just place their order and be done with it.)

So, since everyone was customer service (except the boss), every single time the phone rang, which was about once every 30 seconds for most of the day (we probably got 250-300 phone calls on most days in an office of 9-10 people), every single person in the office would stop what they were doing and rush for their phone to try to get it. Of course, only one person would get it, and then everyone would go back to what they were doing for the next 30-60 seconds until the phone rang again. This went on for years, until a convoluted speadsheet was created that displayed who should most go for the phone in any given hour of the day, but that was mainly pointless because the phone rang enough that the system didn't work and everyone ignored it anyway.

I worked as a customer service rep once where I had a pool of clients that would call me directly at any time of day, but that was not nearly as stressful as being in the midst of that crazily extroverted customer service job where you could never really focus on anything at all, because anytime the phone would ring you had to be seen running to get it, even if you knew you wouldn't get it and running to get it meant missing mission critical deadlines. (Eventually, that system was changed, not because they wanted to change it, but because they were forced to change it, because nothing outside of phone answering was getting done which was having a big impact on quality of actually delivering products.)

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    Do you attribute your introversion mainly to the way you grew up? It seems like you really do wish to be around people more, yet you talk about needing the weekend to recharge. I would think needing to "recharge" is something innate (even as a young child I had "escape maneuvers" in order to get away and recharge, although I didn't know at the time why I was doing it).
    Good question. I think if I had grown up in a more extroverted situation, that my E/I split would be more like 40/60 instead of 0/100. I wouldn't enjoy being around people all the time, but I would definitely like to be around one person or a small group of people more often outside of work. The recharging is innate, but for myself I think I get "drained" more quickly that I would if I were more adept at social situations. I can definitely "fit in," as I've been working for 10 years now and have gotten along with the majority of my co-workers. But, I have also rubbed some extroverts, who don't have an understanding of introverts, the wrong way at times.

I would like to have a better understanding of extroverts. One of the things I just started doing, is that when I am "inside my head" thinking back to situations or thinking about current situations, I "switch over" and say, "How would someone who is trying to cure their boredom approach this situation, and what would their motivations/reactions look like?" I've found this enlightening so far...
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by speculative View Post
    I would like to have a better understanding of extroverts. One of the things I just started doing, is that when I am "inside my head" thinking back to situations or thinking about current situations, I "switch over" and say, "How would someone who is trying to cure their boredom approach this situation, and what would their motivations/reactions look like?" I've found this enlightening so far...
    Not sure what you mean by this. Maybe you could provide a situational example that shows how it helped you better understand extroverts.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

ive gotten the most off the wall comments from strangers who became my friends, for instance, a vast majority of them told me i frightened and immensly intimidated them. no lie, all my most recent friends from middle school until now have told me something of the like. if you saw me in real life im sure you all would laugh, as im 5 foot 8 and barely over 110 lbs. i wouldnt hurt a fly, and for the matter, couldnt hurt a fly. lol.

ahh now towards the introversion question..
    -i went 3 months or so now without seeing a friend outside of school.
    -when the unfortunate event occours when i have to go to some sort of party [for a good friend etc] i feel so fcuking awkward i walk away and find something to occupy myself with somewhere near- but not in direct proximity to everyone else.
    -when my family comes home for the weekend [my sister, her husband, and their 2 kids] i get burnt out by the second day and just dont talk anymore, i just sit and fizzle away in over-stimulation. its terrible. i love them but its so hard for me to put up with.
    - here comes the shocker: i met this chick on the internet, somehow we started to like each other blah blah blah, well its been a year and a half now and ive avoided every single chance to meet her.
    my etsy Morphochroma

I know you think I'm crazy,
    but most people they can't tell.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Well, since everyone else is comparing war wounds I might as well bite.

I think the longest I've ever gone without leaving my house and not seeing anyone was about three months. I was pretty content and would have kept it that way, but I think on some level living exclusively inside your own head for such a long period of time is not the healthiest thing to do.

Actually, if I'm away from people for any period of time (even a day or two), it's as if I can't remember how to interact with them; I've forgotten my mask. It usually takes me awhile to re-adjust.

Quote Originally Posted by human101 View Post
    The thing is im always alone but im not at home much I have a huge record collection so i go crate digging everyday and I ride my bike around the city with my headphones on everyday.

'Bout the cutest thing I've ever heard.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

Quote Originally Posted by mr.awesome View Post
    - here comes the shocker: i met this chick on the internet, somehow we started to like each other blah blah blah, well its been a year and a half now and ive avoided every single chance to meet her.
    You should meet her.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.awesome View Post
    ive gotten the most off the wall comments from strangers who became my friends, for instance, a vast majority of them told me i frightened and immensly intimidated them.
    INFPs have an awesome power locked inside them that can be used or good or evil or both:
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

MBTI
    INfP
    Enneagram

long posts are long...

Yea,am also introverted,but however,am also in an acting class.Its awkward for me when I get dramatic and loud.Sometimes I even scare myself...
    Kindblue,from globalchatter...
    And still wonders were it has gone...

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nancynobullets View Post
    Would have a panic attack if your friends (if you have any) gave you a surprise party.
    Baahaahahaaa!!! I've (sorta) done this!!

I was in 4th grade and my Mom (ESFJ) decided it'd be a great idea to invite all my classmates over for a surprise birthday slumber party!

My Dad was in charge of distracting me and my brothers while all the guests arrived to the house... so he took us to a brand new video rental store where he had to fill out an application, get approved, yada, yada, yada. It took a LONG freakin' time for him to fill that thing out, though at the time I didn't understand that he was stalling on purpose! On the way home from the rental place my brothers and I decided we wanted to play t-ball before watching the movie we picked out (An American Tail: Fievel Goes West).

So, we get back and... Surprise! A whole bunch of girls, many of whom I didn't really get along with, are at my house! I burst into tears! I probably cried for a good 15 minutes. My parents finally convinced me that I could still play t-ball, but it'd just have to be with the girls instead of my brothers, and that it would all be ok in the end. I remember later that evening being soooo embarrassed that I hadn't picked out a cooler movie. If only I had known the viewing audience wouldn't actually be little brothers... *sigh*