User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Default Which Type is MORE LIKELY to spank their kids??

I was at a store this morning with my boyfriend and I overhead a snotty kid and his father. The father said something like, "Put that back and stop playing around or you're getting a spanking at home."

I've never been spanked, so I asked my boyfriend what that really entailed, who told me that it meant hitting your ass. I didn't think that sounded so bad, isn't that what basketball players do to each other on the court??

So he just kind of laughed and said forget it. I googled it, and here's what it means when kids get "spanked"...

real spankings - Google Search

:ouch:

This is why we have so many sick, violent, disgusting people in the world. They were raised by sick, violent, disgusting people.

WHO WOULD DO SOMETHING LIKE THIS. Which type would justify such a perverted torture?

ESFJ? ISTJ? (Because they're all about tradition)

Phantonym

The type that suddenly gets very irritated and who was spanked as a child, so during that frustrated state they don't really think straight, the old pattern from their own childhood emerges (they probably don't even acknowledge it at that moment) and they slap away.

I feel like I'm a broken record but in my opinion, every type out there is capable of doing that, and able to justify it afterwards.

People who do value tradition might be more prone to actually justify this kind of behaviour if they consider spanking as something that has proven to be effective in the past. They see it as part of discipline and consider it as some "positive" reinforcement. But still, anyone is capable of that.

MBTI
    NICE

No one would think to type "real spankings" into Google image search.

Warning: arses like flapjacks on display. Brace yourself.

flapjack - Google Search

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

If you mean a couple of swats on the bum or thigh of a young child who is being particularly incorrigible, I would and have. I think it's more related to culture and socio-eco status than it is to type, though.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

There's a difference between a couple to give a reminding and going all out because you yourself lost your marbles momentarily. I've had both and prefer the former.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dali

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    If you mean a couple of swats on the bum or thigh of a young child who is being particularly incorrigible, I would and have. I think it's more related to culture and socio-eco status than it is to type, though.
    THIS.

Where I come from, spanking is completely acceptable and it shows; children are generally very well-behaved and you rarely see them wreaking havoc in public. We had a few teachers come on an exchange program from the US back when I was in primary school and I still remember the great surprise some expressed at the students' level of attentiveness and decorum.

Of course, there's a line between discipline and child abuse and, unfortunately, I have seen some parents veering on the wrong side of that line.

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Lohengrin - are you serious?? Where are you from?

Dali

Kenya.

I was also in Malaysia for a while. Exceedingly well-behaved children. Spanking is also commonplace there.

MBTI
    fool

Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    WHO WOULD DO SOMETHING LIKE THIS. Which type would justify such a perverted torture?

ESFJ? ISTJ? (Because they're all about tradition)
    It's a cliche but probably people who were raised up with these methods. We had a discussion about this in psych class and almost all of those in favour of spanking were spanked themselves as kids. They see it as justified as their parents who are god-like figures to them when they were kids do it to them a child has no other way of processing it as another than "deserved". "Why (else) would mom / dad want to hurt me?" etc.

I don't know about types but whatever type lacks skills to handle situations otherwise. It's an easy way to make kids to shut up, sure, but the crazy thing is it doesn't even work for how it's suppose to (which I guess is to learn what's right / wrong). I've seen a man go ABSOLUTELY desperate when he was forced to deal with a child in a conflict and emotionally charged situations and have absolutely no clue how to proceed (emotions and irrationality of it all). These exterior-wise "tough" people have literally cracked in front of me which is a very disheartening thing to watch. But they simply don't know what to do and when they're denied to do what they've been taught (who've had very disgusting parenting themselves, that really breaks my heart) and then they start crying because there's no way for them. Because they just don't know. And I don't really get it myself but some people also seem to want one simple solution and if even as many as one factor changes in another situation they're all clueless again, it's like everything should always work the same way, for different people, excatly in the same order. And how better to scare a child than with than a belt. Everyone hates getting hurt = the "best" possible solution with minimal effort.

So perhaps also whatever is the lazy & uninterested / invested type?

So in a way I have empathy towards these individuals and can see where they're coming from, especially like OP said about types or individuals valuing traditions (and doesn't even have to be that, it may just take a lot of effort to not repeat your parents mistakes I think no matter how genuinely you'd want it) and all it can be a tough combo and in addition if their parenting has been so fucked up.

EDIT: ok I ended up kinda rambling about spanking...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Spanking is quite normal. Only much less common in the western society.