User Tag List

First 56789 Last

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I understand that some have very strong opinions on spanking. However, I don't think I'm alone in believing that this forum is not an appropriate space for personal attacks nor broad attacks on a particular group of people. Everyone here is capable of conveying their opinions in a respectful way; please do so.

I find some of these comments (including the OP) very offensive and I'm not even an SJ, nor have I decided whether I'll spank my as-yet hypothetical children.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ESFJ

Time for a fucking shit fest now .. Are you having a fucking laugh? Your sensory bias here is a joke .. I may be traditional in some ways, but i have never spanked my children. Instead i speak to them about their actions and try to reason with them .. Be careful with your stereotyping. My mother is an ESFJ and she never spanked or beat us kids and we probably deserved it sometimes.

What bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    WHO WOULD DO SOMETHING LIKE THIS. Which type would justify such a perverted torture?
    ESFJ? ISTJ? (Because they're all about tradition)
    Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    Initial conclusion: It's potentially an SJ thing (no surprise there). SJs are all about tradition, spanking is a very "traditional" method of discipline.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post
    Time for a fucking shit fest now .. Are you having a fucking laugh? Your sensory bias here is a joke .. I may be traditional in some ways, but i have never spanked my children. Instead i speak to them about their actions and try to reason with them .. Be careful with your stereotyping. My mother is an ESFJ and she never spanked or beat us kids and we probably deserved it sometimes.

What bullshit.
    Ok, saslou, you need to calm down. I am not making any serious conclusions here; it was supposed to be a joke, me drawing a conclusion from one post. Wow.

This website is about typology and how typology is evident, applicable, and manifest in society. Of course it is not 100% legitimate, and of course not every person of a single type is going to behave the same way. However, we can make threads that help us gather (rather short-sighted) statistics, and make (rather inconclusive) generalizations. These generalizations are not meant to be an insult on anybody, as anybody here realizes that generalizations are not necessarily applicable to the individual. Remember, you are defined by your self more than by the fact that you are an ESFx.

According to statistics, more black people are convicted of crimes and in prison for such crimes than are white people, so just based on sheer probability, if we pick a prisoner out of a hat, he's more likely to be black than white. This does not mean that we think all black people are destined for prison or that a specific black person is more likely to go to jail than a specific white person. A black person is defined by his/her self more than he/she is defined by his/her race. However, there is still value in looking at the statistics and discussing potential reasons for such statistics. That's all we are doing here; just trying to find some stats and formulate reasons for such stats. If you have a problem with that, then I'd suggest you don't hang around this forum anymore.

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

then I'd suggest you don't hang around this forum anymore.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    It's supposed to be rhetorical.

MBTI
    INFP

There should be different levels of discipline, in relation to the child's actions. I'd say spanking is a good punishment for the very bad stuff the kid has done(like kicking a dog for instance).

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    I was at a store this morning with my boyfriend and I overhead a snotty kid and his father. The father said something like, "Put that back and stop playing around or you're getting a spanking at home."

I've never been spanked, so I asked my boyfriend what that really entailed, who told me that it meant hitting your ass. I didn't think that sounded so bad, isn't that what basketball players do to each other on the court??

So he just kind of laughed and said forget it. I googled it, and here's what it means when kids get "spanked"...

real spankings - Google Search

:ouch:

This is why we have so many sick, violent, disgusting people in the world. They were raised by sick, violent, disgusting people.

WHO WOULD DO SOMETHING LIKE THIS. Which type would justify such a perverted torture?

ESFJ? ISTJ? (Because they're all about tradition)
    I think it's extremely interesting and encouraging that a human being such as yourself didn't know what a spanking was. Really? Where are you from? I think it's awesome that you are researching spanking now, before you have kids. It's definitely not a parenting technique that need be carried on or used. There have been numerous threads here on spanking. I find it's mainly used by people who have been raised in a similar manner, by people who do not care to research other parenting techniques, or people who tie spanking with their religion, irrespective of type.

EDIT: I hear this all the time too in the store, etc. It's so easy to deal with if you've been taught how. 1) Prevent kid from being on candy level, by holding or placing in cart, or in backpack. 2) Remove child gently before he fondles anything on shelf. 3) If it's too late, place item back on shelf and say, "We don't buy stuff on this rack." 4) Pay as quickly as possible and don't worry if kid throws a tantrum. This too shall pass. The less said, the better, especially threatening. When you threaten you just lose all your power as a parent.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    I find it's mainly used by people who have been raised in a similar manner, by people who do not care to research other parenting techniques, or people who tie spanking with their religion, irrespective of type.
    That.

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by saslou View Post

What bullshit.
    Why is everyone taking things so personally? Is it wrong to be curious? This is why people can never talk about things and analyze them, particularly things like patterns within a group of people. Because people get a goddamn heart attack if you're not walking-on-eggshells PC.

Chill the fuck out. I didn't say "Which type spanks their kids", implying that members of that type would ALWAYS choose to. I said, "Which type is MORE LIKELY to spank their kids". In fact, I *intentionally capitalized* "MOST LIKELY" in case someone jumped the gun and got hysterical about my "stereotyping". Look at the page title if you don't believe me.

Here, let me stereotype myself: As an NT, I tend to have my head in the clouds and forget about the needs of others. It's not true of ALL NTs, and it's not true of anybody 24/7, but it's frequently true of me.

I had an ESFJ mother too, and I was never spanked either. And I'm not aiming this rant to you, saslou. This is to everyone who's convulsing over my innocuous question.

Jesus Christ. Relax.

MBTI
    xxxx

ExTJs (particularly ESTJs)

Why don't we do a (rather inconclusive) study:

Were you spanked as child?
    Which parent did the spanking?
    What was said parent's type?
    I don't recall; probably not
    N/A
    Mother (ISFJ most likely) is conflict and fighting averse; Father (ISTP, maybe) was slightly abused by his mother and consequently makes sure he doesn't do the same to his children.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?