User Tag List

View Poll Results: If you died, would TypoC find out?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I've set aside plans/made sure all I care for would find out.

2 2.56%
  • Yes - via my own wishful thinking.

3 3.85%
  • Probably not - my real life self isn't connected to this board.

34 43.59%
  • Most likely yes - word would get around from a real life friend or relative.

14 17.95%
  • Most definitely not - not a soul knows i'm here or who i am.

25 32.05%
123 Last

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Default If you died, tonight...

...would the members of this board find out somehow? As in would a contingent communication get out that you had passed on, either via a friend or explicit declarations you have made beforehand?

Please think about this carefully now, don't just wishfully think people here would find out simply because you would want them to. Knowing someone is dead is very proprietary information, and oftentimes it does not go outside the family's knowledge or an obscure obituary entry.

I was just thinking about this while going through an old thread, and saw G-virus. recalling that I missed his input, I also saw he hasn't been here since Feb 09 and all the messages he has on his profile longing for his return. It hit me that maybe he's dead and somehow the word never got around to this community, which made me think of this question. I'm not suggesting the G-man is dead, but I beg the question: would we even KNOW if he was?

It just kind of makes me wonder about the connections we have with our internet counterparts, and how they are so separate and distinct from the reality of our RL identities. I do not feel there are enough contingencies in place in our world to let people online who might care about you know that you'd kicked the bucket. I'd be willing to bet that upwards around 98% of us (myself included) could pass on and no one here would have the slightest clue.

I don't think this is special to this board, or even foruming in general, but to the depersonalized nature of the net. Back when I played Everquest 16 hours a day, i realized that if i died somehow, no one in my guild or my online friends would ever receive word, because my RL friends and family would have no way to contact them, or realize they even exist. And it's not like the government goes around posting your name and online identities into a database so those poeple know.

Interesting, non?

MBTI
    INTP

Some people I will never understand. Don't you see this is what caused you so many problems in the first place?

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Quote Originally Posted by LostInNerSpace View Post
    Some people I will never understand. Don't you see this is what caused you so many problems in the first place?
    Oh yes, but then the ardvark said it was OK, and I would have salvation at the end of the day! The merry weather says to me you are a SPECIAL HEN, a very SPECIAL HEN!! OK!?!

PS: stop harassing me whenever I made contributing threads and useful posts. please?

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yes. I play video games with a member from here and talk to him pretty regularly. I also play the same game with a real life best friend. My real life friend and him talk as well sometimes. So the forum would find out.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I think the odds are pretty low that anyone would find out. I'd just disappear. Maybe one of the few members I've spoken to off of the forum would report that I've disapeared from the internet altogether. But a statement that I've died would not likely get to anyone.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

I forget the name, but there is an online service that will take care of your online identities for you when you die, such as Facebook pages, Internet forums, blogs, etc.
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by speculative View Post
    I forget the name, but there is an online service that will take care of your online identities for you when you die, such as Facebook pages, Internet forums, blogs, etc.
    100% trustworthy.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

It would likely get around. My family and friends know that i have a lot of places i frequent online or people i frequently talk to. The smarter ones would know to keep places up to speed on my existence.. or lack thereof.
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

Definitely not, my relatives and real life friends hardly know about the existence of this forum.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

If I died tonight, then you guys would absolutely find out as I'm sitting at a friends house and I've just made her promise to post the news of my death on the forum.