User Tag List

12 Last

Ginkgo

Smile Grapefruit Tree!!

The spaciousness of my old back yard is still vivid in my mind’s eye. If I close my eyes, I can easily see the dull, rust encrusted brick wall that separated my property from the neighbors’. As I turn my head to the left, I can gaze into the sparkling pool that was so arduous to maintain. However, the object of my attention is the grapefruit tree, plainly visible in the middle of the overgrown greenery of my backyard. It was under this tree where many of my most special childhood recollections took place.

The first of these memories that comes to mind is that of which I am most fond of. I can recall the texture of the soft ground under the tree as I sat next to a quiet girl named Nicole. Her dark brown eyes were deep and soulful as she impulsively leaned over to give me my first kiss. The moment seemed so natural, and yet so awkward, that I find it difficult to express how I truly felt. I may have even had an eccentric little fit for the rest of that day, unable to contain my own youthful excitement. However, I know that I did not regret a second of it.

Ironically, this same tree was a sight of true terror a few months later. When I lie down upon the warm tile of my old roof on a pleasant autumn day, I distinctly recall the shock of seeing my beloved grapefruit tree being engulfed by a swarm of Africanized bees. These vicious insects had settled down near the pool machinery, forming a nest under the drooping branches of the tree. Luckily, my dad was able to call the exterminators before the swarm of little monsters had a chance to overrun the entire yard. I stared in awe as men in white protective suits slew the creatures with heavy machinery; as if our backyard had transformed into a scene from a sci-fi film.

Over the course of the next few years, I adopted the now weathered grapefruit tree as a citadel of deep meditation. I often found myself scaling its branches, hoping that the dilapidated tree would lend me its view of the surrounding neighborhood. In perfect isolation, I had the privilege of witnessing Northern Avenue become increasingly congested with every new family to move to Phoenix. Sadly, as the years flew by, I felt that the Earth was shrinking from a magical world of adventure into a simpler, less wondrous place. Such thoughts are the curse of maturity, I suppose.

To whoever lives in my former home now, I am sure that old grapefruit tree is just an ordinary shrub. However, if I close my eyes, my persistent memories quickly transform that lonely little grapefruit tree into a place of love, adventure, and wisdom. Hopefully, this obscure plant in the center of a suburban backyard will continue to form new memories for those who respect it.

MBTI
    pfni
    Enneagram

It was lovely to wake up and read this post. I completely understand your nostalgia for your childhood hub and old refuge. You put it all so beautifully too. And who knows? Maybe it will never really lose its wonder. Other children may be making their own memories under it for years to come.
    Type: INFP Enneagram: 4
    Fi>Si>Ne>Te>Fe>Se>Ti>Ni

ˇcataplum!

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

Is it horrible to say that while reading this, ISFP kept flashing through my head?
    But then again, everyone's an ISFP in my head

That was beautifully written and very descriptive for my to enjoy.
    I felt as though I was experiencing the joys and trauma's over that grapefruit tree as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by ayoitsStepho View Post
    Is it horrible to say that while reading this, ISFP kept flashing through my head?
    But then again, everyone's an ISFP in my head

That was beautifully written and very descriptive for my to enjoy.
    I felt as though I was experiencing the joys and trauma's over that grapefruit tree as well.
    Thank you.

It is not horrible that it reminds you of ISFP. But why? The descriptors? The passionate angst? Haha.

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

Well, everything you wrote (the style and flow of thought) is pretty similar to how I write, to how I try to put my point of view into the audience. The way you described the grass and the memories were very much how I do it. Either that or I'm INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

This was extremely enjoyable to read. What provoked it?
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

Nice read. Curious, how did the grapefruits taste?

You seemed to mention the tree as more of a symbol, and anchor, a spot of collected memories, without any mention of a tree bearing its fruit; its natural identity.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Unkindloving View Post
    This was extremely enjoyable to read. What provoked it?
    I wrote it last year for my English 101 class. We were required to describe an "object" somehow; so I wrote about the old grapefruit tree and extract something profound from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    Nice read. Curious, how did the grapefruits taste?

You seemed to mention the tree as more of a symbol, and anchor, a spot of collected memories, without any mention of a tree bearing its fruit; its natural identity.
    Oh, well they tasted tart, the way I liked them. A grapefruit every morning prevents scurvy!

But yes, it is a symbol of nostalgia. Once I buy a house of my own, I'm sure I'll plant a grapefruit tree there as well! Sometimes life is simply about accumulating new memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    Sometimes life is simply about accumulating new memories.
    , much less about the tangibles you accumulated, and more about the memories associated with it. Latter, often, more lasting, persevering, preserving.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    , much less about the tangibles you accumulated, and more about the memories associated with it. Latter, often, more lasting, persevering, preserving.
    Indeed. Unfortunately, it is difficult to relive the taste!