User Tag List

MBTI
    INfP
    Enneagram

Default Fi/Te vs. Ti/Fe?

I dont get it,isn't both Fi/Fe,and Ti/Te,both the same?
    Kindblue,from globalchatter...
    And still wonders were it has gone...

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

No.

Fi = "natural ethics" as defined internally, subjectively and according to the self
    Fe = ethics as defined by external conditions, objectively and according to the environment

Ti = "natural logic" as defined internally, subjectively and according to the self
    Te = logic as defined by external conditions, objectively and according to the environment

Fi is more similar to Ti than it is to Fe.

Fe is more similar to Te than it is to Fi.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INfP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    No.

Fi = "natural ethics" as defined internally, subjectively and according to the self
    Fe = ethics as defined by external conditions, objectively and according to the environment

Ti = "natural logic" as defined internally, subjectively and according to the self
    Te = logic as defined by external conditions, objectively and according to the environment

Fi is more similar to Ti than it is to Fe.

Fe is more similar to Te than it is to Fi.
    So,is it like this:
    Example:Should someone go to jail for self-defense?

Fi answer:I dont really think they should.If I was in that situation i would definitely fight back...
    Fe answer:I think someone shold not go to jail for self defense.Sometimes,it is needed it certain places,like in ghetto areas and and such...

Ti answer:No.If someone walked up to me and started hitting me for no apparent reason,then I will hit back.
    Te answer:No,but it depends on the situation.If someone else bigger than me started hitting me,then I fight back.If my parent slapped me for punishment and I punched my parent then I would probably go to jail.
    Kindblue,from globalchatter...
    And still wonders were it has gone...

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudblue View Post
    I have often thought the same thing (that they are the same). There doesn't seem to be enough distinction in reality. I even wonder if introversion and extroversion really exist as two distinct enough preferences. But I think everyone wants to distinguish themselves from traits that they don't like much, even though they may still possess those traits so the differences get stressed a lot on this forum.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

So,is it like this:
    Example:Should someone go to jail for self-defense?

Fi answer:I dont really think they should.If I was in that situation i would definitely fight back...
    Fe answer:I think someone shold not go to jail for self defense.Sometimes,it is needed it certain places,like in ghetto areas and and such...

Ti answer:No.If someone walked up to me and started hitting me for no apparent reason,then I will hit back.
    Te answer:No,but it depends on the situation.If someone else bigger than me started hitting me,then I fight back.If my parent slapped me for punishment and I punched my parent then I would probably go to jail.
    Maybe...those are all possible. The only distinguishing factors are these:

Fi: I [agree/disagree] because my personal feelings say that violent self defense is [moral/immoral.]

Fe: I [agree/disagree] because my community/social group/cultural standards say that violent self defense is [moral/immoral.]

Ti: I [agree/disagree] because my personal idea of natural logic says it's [consistent/inconsistent] for people to respond with violent self-defense when attacked.

Te: I [agree/disagree] because the evidence shows that allowing violent self defense is [effective/ineffective.]

Something along those lines. Note that any of those functions could lead to agreeing or disagreeing with any given position.

The difference is that Fi/Te people have preconceived notions of ethics ("natural ethics" which stay static regardless of context), but believe that logic just depends on the current situation. Nothing is logical until an external context has been defined.

Ti/Fe people have preconceived notions of logic ("natural logic" which stays static regardless of context) but believe that ethics depend on the current situation. Nothing is ethical until an external context has been defined.

Also, I've noticed that sometimes Fe users don't realize the source of their moral beliefs because it's been ingrained since childhood--so sometimes they think they are using Fi when it's really Fe.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I have often thought the same thing (that they are the same).
    That might explain the nonsensical function order in your user title.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    I

No. They're 4 completely separate functions, all different from each other. Same with Si, Se, Ni, Ne.