Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

First language - English
    Fluent - French
    Conversational/can just get by - Spanish
    Teeny tiny bit/can understand it not too badly if immersed for a while - Finnish

I am from English-speaking Canada, but as it's a bilingual country I did the French immersion program, doing most of my schooling in French from the age of 5 up. By the time I got to high school I still had French classes, but less and less. By then I was fluent, though. That program really worked well for me and I'm grateful I got to do it
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

The only one I'm fluent in is English. After that it's French and Japanese for which I only know grammar and a limited word list. I know a few words in German, Spanish, Norwegean, Russian, Latin and Old Norse, but no complete sentences. The only language, other than English, in which I can write everything I can speak, is French.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dali

Fluent: English, Swahili
    Intermediate: Somali (one of my native languages but I'm only about 70% proficient at the speaking part), Bahasa Malaysia,
    Beginner: French, Arabic

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Lohengrin View Post
    Fluent: English, Swahili
    Intermediate: Somali (one of my native languages but I'm only about 70% proficient at the speaking part), Bahasa Malaysia,
    Beginner: French, Arabic
    Apa khabar, Lohengrin?
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    ENFJ

Native: Norwegian, fluent
    Swedish and danish are very close to norwegian, so I can say that I fully understand them, but I find no reason to speak them (I just answer swedes and danes in norwegian.)

English: Pretty fluent, but you would probably hear that it wasn't my native tongue. Depends on what we would discuss - I would probably lack the vocabulary to discuss very specific matters like agriculture, carpenting, mating of caterpillars or physics - or even philosophy. And I would probably need some time to get the intonations 100% - a couple of days; or a couple of beers

French: Think my french is mostly emergency-french at the moment; you know, stuck in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by french people who only understand french. A situation not totally unlikely to happen. I used to be fluent in french - I even almost went to university in France. But chickened out 2 weeks before the semester started, went back home to Norway and fell in love.

German: Used to be fluent, (germans thought I came from the Reinland-Pfalz-area) - but haven't used my german for years. Would probably do OK after a week or two in Germany.

I can read some italian and spanish, but only by using my french and my intuition. I probably don't understand quite as much as I think I understand. I used to think that because I knew a lot about horses, I also knew a lot about cows. That is completely wrong, as I know now, after trying to collect runaway cows in the middle of the night. They are nothing like horses - they don't even look the same. I suspect it's the same with french and spanish (not saying which one is cow and which is horse )
    I have no sense of humour.

Dali

Quote Originally Posted by William K View Post
    Apa khabar, Lohengrin?

Baik Abang William, awek di mana?

MBTI
    ENTP

i speak fluent english and spanish.
    i do know hebrew but not as fluently.

i live in a russian household so i do understand and speak a bit of russian but i havent really had time to develop it
    She talks pretty but says mean things

I speak Klingon

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Well, I'm surprised to see how many persons claim to understand French.

You make Blackmail! happy!

---

Anyway.

French: C2+, literary level even when spoken
    Ce qui veut dire que je conjugue instinctivement les subjonctifs mme l'oral. I've been often praised by my peers for the general quality of my French.

English: C1. I'd be tempted to say C2, since I can speak or write the language easily, and without any major difficulty. I even translated many difficult English texts into French (and was paid for that). But technically, I'm far from my fluency in my native language, and as you may have noticed, I still occasionally do some mistakes.

German: B2. I can understand the language easily, whether in text or oral form.

Victor: B2. I know this is supposed to be a rare Australian dialect, but I suppose I understand the general meaning of it.

Latin: B1/B2. Studying it is mandatory within the French school system.

Italian: B1/B2. But understanding Italian is incredibly easy for a French. It's the closest language we have in common. And the presence of several Italian girlfriends helped a lot.

Chinese: B1. I've worked in Shanghai during a few months.

Breton: B1. I'm supposed to be a native speaker (perfect accent I suppose), but I haven't really practised and I lack vocabulary.

Dutch: B1. Part of my family is Dutch. I cannot speak it very well, but understand it when written.

Scottish Gaelic: B1. Don't ask why.

Modern Hebrew: A2/B1. I know how to survive in Israel.

Arabic: A2. I've learned it while deciphering the Quran in original form. It's easier when you have notions of Hebrew.

Farsi: A2. I've been surrounded by Persian people for a very long time, and this is the language I would enjoy to learn the most.

Hindi: A2. I've worked in India too, but that was a long time ago, while I was still studying botanics.

Ancient Greek: A2. Same reason that with Latin.

Russian: A1. I've been there quite a few times. Reading the alphabet is not that difficult, but Russian is one of the most complex language ever invented.

Any Romance language: A1. Understanding Spanish, Romanian, Catalan or Portuguese is not that difficult for a French, but I've never ever studied them.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Russian is one of the most complex language ever invented.
    That my friend is a gross understatement.