User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Thread: Si is...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

The only reason people don't think I'm completely crazy.
    Ne > Ti > Si >> Te > Se >> Fe > Fi > Ni
    5 so/sp
    Chaotic Neutral/Evil

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Socionics
    ESI

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    I'm doing it this way because this is the way I've always done it!

Uhh... don't you want to try something new?

No!!
    But! Okay, fine...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Thanks for the reply. To me that sounds like you're describing 'memory'; specifically 'motor memory' when you're talking about piano.
    It seems to me that the term Si is used in order to complete the MBTI theory, with poor results. If it's really just sensation-based memories, then I don't see how it can be dichotomously opposed to 'intuition'.
    I think that Si doesn't actuallt have much to do with senses directly at all. As you point out, what senses does it make to try and combine the senses (which intrinsicly turn towards the outside world) with the concept of introversion (which turns away from it)?

I resolve the debate in my head by comsidering si to be an interest in none sensory data that has the absolute, concrete quality off sensory imput. The Si user pays pertucular attention to to information that is unarguable and solid. This can include all the factual information that Si types are infamous for acquiring, such as dates, who wrote what, geographical locations, the names of politicians. The SJ remembers such information better than the rest of us because they place greater valur upon it.

It is also the preference for solid information that gives SJs their reputation for being backward looking traditionalists. It is only by considering the results of what has already happened can the Si user find the solid factual information - "They tride x in the past, and it resulted in y". The future only offers vague promises and possibilities, which the Si user finds unsatisfying. Thus, to judge the future, they us events from the past.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

No!!
    I like to see a man who can take the rip out of his own functions!

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by FeatheredFrenzy View Post
    But!

Okay, fine...
    You forgot the most important part!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I like to see a man who can take the rip out of his own functions!
    Oh really? ...(I'm looking for a smiley that's doing a creepy eyebrow thing, but I can't find it...)

But yeah, I actually find that kind of thing to be very entertaining.

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Si is yes in spanish.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Thanks for the reply. To me that sounds like you're describing 'memory'; specifically 'motor memory' when you're talking about piano.
    It seems to me that the term Si is used in order to complete the MBTI theory, with poor results. If it's really just sensation-based memories, then I don't see how it can be dichotomously opposed to 'intuition'.
    Every person's sensory apparatuses--apparatii--are, I presume, more or less the same. blah blah blah and several steps later the information sent by the sensory apparatii arrives at the cognitive "I", the self. How does that self process the information? Si and Se types do it differently. Presumably, Se types go with whatever presents itself, and follow novelty. Si types however, one supposes, check the sensory input against past inputs, appreciating similarities (or disliking them because the original was disliked too) and checking novelty against known measures to see if it can be accepted. And that's how both teams arrive at an appreciation of the sensory.

I just made that up.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    I

Si is... recalling facts, dates, and information.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Consequently it's a mistake to attempt to categorize human activities, or even all forms of cognition, as one function attitude or another. By itself, stroking your cat is not the sort of thing where those kinds conflicts arise.

Instead of categorizing human activities or cognitive processes with two-letter codes, we might understand Lenore's theory by asking which aspects of a single activity or part of life provide the cues that each function attitude tracks. We could describe what each attitude brings into focus with a question:

• Se: What is happening now? What stands out and gets attention here? What is my gut reaction to it? What do I feel like doing right now? What needs no explanation?
    • Si: What are the facts? What label can I put on this situation so I know what it is and how to deal with it? What is my personal stake here, that I need to keep my eye on? What is the known region that is my business to protect against the unknown?
    • Ne: What is the big picture that this is a part of? How could we incorporate some of the broader context, so we get new information that will change our present understanding of the situation? What will change this situation into something else? What's next?
    • Ni: How is our way of interpreting this situation actually shaping the situation? What would we see if we looked at this situation not in terms of any interpretation at all, but just as it is, agnostic with regard to interpretations or context? Where are my blind spots? What unintended consequences could arise from a given action?
    • Te: How does this meet or fail to meet the appropriate criteria? What are those criteria? What goal are we trying to achieve, and what action in the present situation will move us in that direction the fastest? Who knows the most about this, and should therefore be deferred to?
    • Ti: What is the truth, regardless of what anyone thinks and regardless of any predefined categories or criteria? What causal factors are in play, what potential do they have, and what whole do they form? What is my part in the overall system? What does the whole need me to do, to create/restore/continue the harmony or principle that keeps it alive?
    • Fe: What are my obligations in this situation? Who else has a stake in this and what are their concerns? What action will people recognize as placing me for them or against them, and where do I want to stand?
    • Fi: What is truly good? What living need calls out to be fulfilled, simply because of who and what we are--as opposed to our social status, achievements, track record, past agreements, past good or bad deeds, or anything else that would justify saying that one "deserves" or "has earned" something? What is the truly beneficial thing to do, regardless of obligation or social recognition? What is the moral "true north" that I should follow in this or any other situation, and what does it demand of me here and now, regardless of consequences?

These questions don't define the function attitudes (e.g. one could ask "What's the truth?" from a left-brain state of mind, but then it wouldn't be Ti), but they hint at them indirectly, by indicating what seems most relevant to each way that the brain represents matters of ego orientation.
    Notice that these questions aren't each limited to any activity or particular sphere of life. Each applies to everything, and the answers you get can pull you in different directions. Thus you must choose. The need to choose is the basis for distinct types

The Introverted perspectives draw upon our innate, inherited potential to think and understand, without regard to present-day opportunities or social conventions.
    • Introverted Sensation (Si) tunes you in to the chaos, unpredictability, and unknowability of the concrete world, leading you to value whatever few signs you can find that have stable meaning. For example, the stripes of tabby cats might hold a particular meaning for you, and you might come to treasure that. As an epistemological perspective, Si leads you to view anything from outside a familiar context as dangerous and untrustworthy. You are in tune with the fact that nearly all possibilities lead to destruction. For example, if you're designing an airplane, nearly all combinations of the variables fail. Of the possible combinations of wingspan, wing placement, wing shape, fuselage shape, and so on, there is only a tiny subset that make an aerodynamically workable plane--and then only if you get a whole lot of other things just right, too. All of life is like that, only much more complicated. We live only in the small islands of the world that we've grown up with and are suited to us. And we can't possibly know why these small islands are relatively safe. As an ethical perspective, Si leads you to protect the integrity of the things and signs that we depend on. This usually takes the form of setting up barriers against the unpredictable. For example, saving for a rainy day (hardships come at unpredictable times) or inspecting buildings for fire safety (so people can trust that "being inside a building" is a sign of safety against the elements). Within these barriers, where all is trustworthy and familiar, we can survive and enjoy what is precious to us--for a while.
    • Introverted Intuition (Ni) focuses on what is inexpressible--the incommensurable and chaotic things that exist outside of any conceptual framework. For example, what do you hear in the theme-and-variations movement of Beethoven's String Quartet Op. 131? There is a meaning there, but you can't put it into words. Any attempt to put it into words will result in only a tawdry parody of the reality. Better to remain silent. As an epistemological perspective, Ni leads you to view all signs as meaningless or even deceptive, not necessarily connected to what they're supposed to represent. The true reality is something that exists beyond all signs and appearances, and can only be apprehended by a kind of direct intuition. To learn truth, one must learn to see through appearances--to make contact with a reality that cannot be seen or said. As an ethical perspective, Ni leads you to hold yourself apart from and unaffected by the meanings that others attach to words and events--to keep your own vision pure and pursue your own path regardless of evidence, reasons, or the opinions of others.
    Philosophical Exegesis
    Not Cognitive Processes

MBTI
    ENTP

No!!
    And, to contrast, the Inferior Si:

Ne - Here's a solution, try this now!

Si - Why don't you do it this way, that's the way you've always done it and it works.

Ne - No!! This is much more interesting!

Si - You've arrived at the same solution as before, why didn't you listen in the first place?!
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women