User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: Si is...

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    That irony is pointed out in the MBTI literature as well. I think introverted smelling could be like using gingerbread candles when taking a bubble bath, and it just not being the same without them. I think Si internalizes specific sensory experiences and recreates them. I think it is also a function that can tell when something detailed is out of place, or will go to great lengths to get the correct type of cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving dinner. My impression is that it is a function used in a lot of music performers I interact with. They know exactly how a piece of music should be executed down to the last nuance and recreate it as such. I notice it in some of my students, who quickly internalize sensory aspects of playing piano, and if it is internalized incorrectly, it is harder for them to correct it, but if internalized correctly, it remains more solid than average.

I think the character Monk uses strong Si-Te when he notices every detail at a crime scene and can describe any minutia that is out of place. He then switches to Ni when he says, "I don't know how he did it, but that's the guy".
    Thanks for the reply. To me that sounds like you're describing 'memory'; specifically 'motor memory' when you're talking about piano.
    It seems to me that the term Si is used in order to complete the MBTI theory, with poor results. If it's really just sensation-based memories, then I don't see how it can be dichotomously opposed to 'intuition'.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    Well, to be honest, I was being a bit of a jerk. Sorry about that. I'm in a mood today.

On the other hand you we're being pretty sarcastic.
    were*

MBTI
    I

Si is... my guide on what things I should do, and how I should do them.

MBTI
    ENTP

To me, Si is...
    managing an archive full of interesting facts
    the one checking which of Ne's ideas are recurring
    the one telling me I've solved the problem before - after I've found a new, more inefficient solution and when it's too late to restart
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

For me, Si is the database I've created for Ne to reference as a way of connecting old ideas and knowledge to something bigger, more novel, and more meaningful.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Socionics
    ESI

Like a hawk that watches from the outskirts of a city.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I see Si as some kind of back record of everything that individual person has ever seen/experienced/learned/etc, and it was recorded through their eyes and judged with Te or Fe, which means it carries some personal bias (just as every introverted function is subjective). That info is in some kind of library that Te or Fe has organized, and every tiny detail/fact/past feeling/etc is quickly looked up and referred to when needed. New things take effort for Fe & Te categorize, and Si perceives better in retrospect, hence a tendency to stick with the tried-and-true.

In any case, people with Si have a memory for detail that amazes me, but sometimes, you see how it comes out through their own perspective and is not entirely accurate.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    My impression is that it is a function used in a lot of music performers I interact with. They know exactly how a piece of music should be executed down to the last nuance and recreate it as such. I notice it in some of my students, who quickly internalize sensory aspects of playing piano, and if it is internalized incorrectly, it is harder for them to correct it, but if internalized correctly, it remains more solid than average.
    Really interesting, though Si is really one of those functions I think I don't really understand
    I like to make music, and I think one of the most important things about making music is that you have to know how something sounds before you play it. It's a bit hard to describe, but it's like the idea of something you are going to do is already there and all that remains is its execution. I'm not really sure though if this actually has something to do with Si, which is supposed to be past-oriented (and which made me a bit suspicious towards it since I don't think of myself as being very past-oriented).
    And is it Si+Ne that makes me say, "This reminds me of something ..." so often, or is it just Ne?
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

MBTI
    ISTP

I'm doing it this way because this is the way I've always done it!

Uhh... don't you want to try something new?

No!!

Ginkgo

An elderly Chinese woman who owns an urn full of ancient scrolls and harvests rice.