User Tag List

First 3456 Last

Thread: Fe is...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Just like any seasoning in food, Fe when not balanced with other things or in too high of doses tastes bad. However, in the right amount, or in combination with other qualities, it can make opinions and ideas much more palatable. Like Amargith explained, it helps match levels of emotion/sharing/feeling to what the other person/people involved feel comfortable with.

There is a huge distinction to be made between immature use of Fe and more balanced use of it. When used without any accompanying traits to temper it, it can seem either pushy, manipulative, manipulated, disloyal or it can make the user lose their own identity in the needs of others. This is often what those ardently against Fe are reacting to.

However, with judicious use and experience, it is a tremendously practical vehicle for productively expressing oneself so that the message will be received openly, being sensitive to the needs of others, being aware of what's written between the lines, and learning to look outwardly in an unselfish way (which comes naturally to none of us, whether Fe or Fi users.)

One part of Fe that Protean touched on that I really agree with is the idea of understanding ourselves better through understanding other people. When you are in the same surroundings every day, it's easy to miss the most fundamental parts of them because you never experience anything different. For me, Fe serves to look at other people and by comparing and contrasting their responses and reactions to mine, I learn to notice aspects of the "scenery" that makes up my personality that otherwise are easily ignored. This can alert me to what others find offensive in me, what strengths and weaknesses I have, and what my natural inclinations and tendancies are. Being able to do this actually (I believe) shores up Fi as well, as it short cuts quickly assessing new situations (both with myself and others) so that I am free to think about what I believe is right, or how I want to act.

EDIT: Despite being very different types of people, I would agree with all the points that Jenocyde made re Fe!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by The Outsider View Post
    Asserting the right to force upon others any kind bullshit you want them to believe in; and nobody has a right to say otherwise - because that's not the community standard.
    I think you'd need a bit of Si as well to get that.

MBTI
    I

Fe is...

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

More personally, being happy to see my family even though I get incredibly annoyed with them after a few days.

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    [IMG]pics of people[/IMG]

More personally, being happy to see my family even though I get incredibly annoyed with them after a few days.
    One of my now most favorite memories of this year was when I went to President Obama's Inauguration and the We Are One concert.

The crowd was awesome and the people were great. You had no problem standing outside in freezing temperature...people were nice, there was singing, everyone was respectful except when Bush was announced and people starting booing and saying "Farewell you dog!" But then other people started cheering so it ended up breaking even.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    iNtJ
    Enneagram
    152 so/sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

...a little too close for comfort, but very useful in application. Can be demanding and exhausting in terms of personal reserve.
    "I cannot expect even my own art to provide all of the answers -- only to hope it keeps asking the right questions." -- Grace Hartigan

Enneagram: Tritype - 1w9, 5 (balanced wings), 2w3; Overall Variant: So/Sx
    SLOAN: rCoa|I|
    Functional Preferences: Ni, Te/Fi, Ti, Se, Fe, Si, Ne

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Looking into the eyes of a [Ni user] is like peeking through a portal into a parallel universe.

MBTI
    ENTP

Social control, too.
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

A highly peculiar function!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

your momma

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Socionics
    ESI

Random piggy-back rides when others aren't watching.