Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Default Why do schools give homework?

I don't understand. Home and work should not mix. School is where work is done. Home is your time. I think that giving homework is an invasion of privacy laws.

Who agrees?

If you disagree, then shame on you.

(I'd still love to hear your warped perspective.)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Because most kids are too busy screwing around and posturing while at school to learn anything.

Oberon

When I was about ten years old, I told my mother that I thought homework was wrong. She wanted to know why.

"Because," I said, "...the school system owns me for seven hours during the day. They shouldn't be able to get my time at home too. Not any of it."

My mother thought that was the stupidest thing she'd ever heard, utterly out of left field. I still think it's true, however. I personally don't let the local public school administards get within ten feet of my kids; we homeschool.

You might be interested to know, by the way, that state-sponsored compulsory education in government-administered schools is a Prussian invention from the mid-19th century. Subsequent generations of German government built upon it. The US public schools are modeled after it.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Shouldn't this be linked to the "Is God malicious?" thread?

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    When I was about ten years old, I told my mother that I thought homework was wrong. She wanted to know why. "Because," I said, "...the school system owns me for seven hours during the day. They shouldn't be able to get my time at home too. Not any of it."

My mother thought that was the stupidest thing she'd ever heard, utterly out of left field. I still think it's true, however. I personally don't let the local public school administards get within ten feet of my kids; we homeschool.
    This is why your kids stand down the back street with the neighbor's kids and say, "Homeschooling is so wrong. My parents own me the other 18 hours a day... why should they get my school time I could spend hanging out with my peers in public school too?"
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    When I was about ten years old, I told my mother that I thought homework was wrong. She wanted to know why.

"Because," I said, "...the school system owns me for seven hours during the day. They shouldn't be able to get my time at home too. Not any of it."

I agree with you (at least in the younger grades- high school is when homework starts to make sense to me, but not hours of it, just a long-range project here and there). We chose a school for our school-aged child where the charter specifically states that the only regular homework the students are to receive is to read or be read to for 30 minutes a day, or longer if they want. Other than that, she spends enough time there during the day that if it were a job she would be classified as fulltime employee, so that's plenty. (Of course, two hours of that is recess/lunch/break which is either spent outside or as free time inside if the weather is bad.)

I would homeschool before I would use a traditional school.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    This is why your kids stand down the back street with the neighbor's kids and say, "Homeschooling is so wrong. My parents own me the other 18 hours a day... why should they get my school time I could spend hanging out with my peers in public school too?"
    My kids' parents own them 24 hours a day...lucky for them, and me.

Enneagram
    1w2

I got a C my first quarter of high school AP Literature because I refused to do the summer book report due on the first day of class the next school year. I did as little homework as I could possibly get away with. My teachers liked me which is the main reason why I got good grades.

Homework, much like the dreaded staff meeting, is most effective if it can be done in less than 20-30 minutes and it seems to mostly help older students. Although most evidence seems to be mixed on whether or not it helps. Some say it helps with academic achievement with little effects on actual learning.

From does homework improve academic achievement

Center for Public Education: Homework
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    ISTP

Because it is the doing and not the teaching that will actually let you learn something for the long term.

And since you do nearly nothing in school, homework is probably the most important part. That is, of course, if you actually get a single useful thing to do as homework. I remember having to make my reports "all pretty". Make-work isn't worth crap anyway, in or out of school.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Because it is the doing and not the teaching that will actually let you learn something for the long term.

And since you do nearly nothing in school, homework is probably the most important part. That is, of course, if you actually get a single useful thing to do as homework. I remember having to make my reports "all pretty". Make-work isn't worth crap anyway, in or out of school.
    This is the problem, IMO. Elementary school should be mostly doing. At that age, for most kids, the "tilt their heads and pour it in through the ear" method doesn't work too well.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    This is the problem, IMO. Elementary school should be mostly doing. At that age, for most kids, the "tilt their heads and pour it in through the ear" method doesn't work too well.
    That's a good point, although I was thinking more about grade 6+ where you are expected to read, do problems or write essays. It was a painful lesson for me (and I expect most Ps - the pain part, anyway ) to accept that the actual school part was for tests and social conditioning, nothing else... and that if I wanted to learn something, I'd have to put in the work after school.

Course, that just made me not do any of my homework and read whatever I wanted. But it sounds good!