User Tag List

First 5678 Last

MBTI
    epyT
    Enneagram

Homework doesn't bother me as much as the busy work. If I get the concept on the first problem of the worksheet, there's really no way in hell I'm going to do the rest of it, and why should I?
    Only after disaster can we be resurrected.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    You definitely make an excellent point.

Most people in Hollywood, for example, have never finished college and, in some cases, never finished high school.

And most people who graduate with a university degree often never have anything to do with it but become academic elitists.

Sure, the Hollywood actors may be uneducated, but does education really matter if you're making loads of cash?

I mean, that's what most people go to school for -- in the hopes that they'll get a high-paying job after they graduate (which rarely happens).

I certainly don't devalue learning, but one starts to wonder if a formal education ever really pays off.

Yes. Now how many people who haven't finished school, dropped out... ect have gotten the wealth similar to that of Bill Gates?

And how many of them are bums / have shitty jobs / are on a paycheck to paycheck basis never having any spare change?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Typology View Post
    Homework doesn't bother me as much as the busy work. If I get the concept on the first problem of the worksheet, there's really no way in hell I'm going to do the rest of it, and why should I?
    That's one reason why I typically only assign one problem from each concept covered. If you need extra practice, I also give a list of "recommended" problems, that will not be graded. (Another reason is that I don't want to sit there and grade the same thing over and over again, any more than I have to. :p ) Plus, while repetition can be a valuable learning tool, I think it's more important to do a wide variety of problems, rather than have students get really good at doing just one particular type of problem.

I always found homework stupid. It had little learning value and was intended to instill some form of study discipline and order in me. Because these are apparently healthy things. You set a certain time at night, when you do a set amount of work, and you stick to your schedule. I'm an ENP for God sake! We don't do study and order, we explore and learn, follow ideas, develop systems, look for understanding. You tell us once in class, it doesn't take 100 pointless repetitions to get it. As soon as the system is clear it is clear. If it wasn't clear from class, the best thing would've been to explain it more clearly. Also killing home time for an ENFP is like caging them. We need space to embrace life. Without it we become disinterested. Without interest we have no reason to learn, except made up ones like "you'll get in trouble", but often when you do get in trouble there is no valid cause and effect or valid thoughts in it, it is just "you didn't conform, you should conform." This normally made me want to do it less. I was always non-confrontational and agreeable though, and pretty much cruised it, so not much trouble. But I understand how some stronger ENPs would put up more of a fight, and maybe be diagnosed with ADHD and stuff. Still in the end the perception is you do your homework or you are lazy and avoiding work. Not that you have seen better things to do instead and will be okay because you understand the stuff anyway. There is no logic or sense in any of it. Just rules and generalisations.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    infp

I loved getting homework, I enjoyed working at home alone on my stuff, because I could totally focus.

I was the class clown, doing my homework and most of the next work in advance meant I had more time to distract everyone else in actual class time.

I still love getting homework now lol.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    ESTP

Homework totally sucks.

How are you supposed to do it when there are so many interesting things out there which deserve your interest much more than a lame, noninteresting homework? Because let's face it, usually homeworks are useless, how can you learn new stuff if there is nobody to explain it?

We have teachers that always give us un-doable homework, because they don't explain how to do it and you can never find it in the manual, so practically, learning on your own is impossible. I thought that was the goal of homework, improving what you have learned, not sitting over it for hours, not figuring how it can be done. I mean, this is stupid.
    IMHO, this is a big flaw of our education system. Homework could actually be useful if combined with team work and implying research on interesting fact, challenging your creativity and intelligence. Exactly what it's not doing.

Besides, I find it outrageous that you can get an F for not doing homework even if you are very well informed and prepared at that subject.

I have never stressed myself too much about homework, if I really really really had to do it(I mean, for a grade), I did it, but that was about it if I didn't think it was useful. And, what I consider to be one of my great "achievements" during high-school was doing almost all of my math homeworks for the first 3 months of the semester, because the teacher was checking our homework notebooks for a grade. But then I just realized I had other stuff to do and quit...

MBTI
    ISTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I don't understand. Home and work should not mix. School is where work is done. Home is your time. I think that giving homework is an invasion of privacy laws.

Who agrees?

If you disagree, then shame on you.

(I'd still love to hear your warped perspective.)
    Too much homeowork SUCKS. However, it teaches responsibility that is very important in the corporate/business world. I think if homework was limited to maybe an hour or hour and a half a night during the school year only (and on weeknights only) it would be much more effective. But the more kid's screw around in school, it has become necessary to give more homework.

So I think the real question is, why do some schools give TOO MUCH homework?

Well, the social factor also comes in. More and more BOTH parents are off to work and there is not enough money to pay for supervision. This is the case especially with single parents. What good can possibly come from leaving a teenager (or even middleschoolers these days) alone at home with nothing to do for 6 hours?
    Freedom Isn't Free. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEE

I always hated homework, still do, and always will. Any other thoughts of mine have already been posted by numerous other users.

Because you can't spell "Slaughter" without "Laughter"

Quote Originally Posted by d@v3 View Post
    What good can possibly come from leaving a teenager (or even middleschoolers these days) alone at home with nothing to do for 6 hours?
    They have time to find interests of their own and discover life?
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    ISTP

Well, the social factor also comes in. More and more BOTH parents are off to work and there is not enough money to pay for supervision. This is the case especially with single parents. What good can possibly come from leaving a teenager (or even middleschoolers these days) alone at home with nothing to do for 6 hours?
    Well, maybe I'm atypical, but...here's what I learned from staying home alone constantly whenever I didn't have other activities after school, and not having my time spent by doing homework:

-I'm now an expert machinist. (Lathe, Mill, Welder, etc...)
    -I can cook.
    -Learned how to take care of myself.
    -I built a lot of random crap, including a Go-Kart that will do highway speeds.
    -Learned Java, C++, and some VB6/VB.NET
    -Various other things.
    -Oh, and of course, there was that fun/relaxation thing in there too.

The fact that some children are incapable of staying home for 6 hours or the like without getting into trouble is not a valid reason to give homework. The children that would be getting into trouble, won't be doing the work anyway.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%