User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Cause you're stupid and need to be educated.

Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    Cause you're stupid and need to be educated.
    Or I'm smart enough to realize the school system is another method of control? Did the richest people on this planet care much for school?

The answer is no, just so you know.

Take Bill Gates for example... clearly an idiot for founding Microsoft rather than getting good grades then getting that awesome "dream" job.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Lukepd View Post
    Or I'm smart enough to realize the school system is another method of control? Did the richest people on this planet care much for school?

Take Bill Gates for example... clearly an idiot for founding Microsoft rather than getting good grades then getting that awesome "dream" job.
    You definitely make an excellent point.

Most people in Hollywood, for example, have never finished college and, in some cases, never finished high school.

And most people who graduate with a university degree often never have anything to do with it but become academic elitists.

Sure, the Hollywood actors may be uneducated, but does education really matter if you're making loads of cash?

I mean, that's what most people go to school for -- in the hopes that they'll get a high-paying job after they graduate (which rarely happens).

I certainly don't devalue learning, but one starts to wonder if a formal education ever really pays off.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Lukepd View Post

Bill Gates' or anybody else's success does not negate the importance of school. Why do people think that his having quit school and become rich is generalizable to the thesis that school is worthless? There are plenty of rich people who did go to school, and it in no way hindered their success.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Bill Gates' or anybody else's success does not negate the importance of school. Why do people think that his having quit school and become rich is generalizable to the thesis that school is worthless? There are plenty of rich people who did go to school, and it in no way hindered their success.
    I dunno, I think it's more important to follow whatever your own curiosities are than to invest time in things that don't stimulate you, intellectually or otherwise.

You don't need to be in school in order to learn.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Yeah, if anything, formal education is one of the best predictors of success.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I dunno, I think it's more important to follow whatever your own curiosities are than to invest time in things that don't stimulate you, intellectually or otherwise.
    This is absolutely true, but has little to do with the discussion about school. One's interests may be such that school is of absolute importance, or they may be somewhere outside of the limits of school subjects. In the former case, school is necessary and not seen as a burden (except for maybe the prerequisites or distribution requirements). In the latter case, school is probably not necessary at all.

You don't need to be in school in order to learn.
    No, you don't need to be in school in order to learn. But if you want to learn something, and being in school can help you learn that something, then why not go to school? And if school can't help you learn what you want to learn, then don't go to school. It's really very simple.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    I

Honestly, I hate homework. But I'm thinking it's because the schools might be preparing you for the professional world, where you (usually) have to finish off some work aside from your actual work hours. It's also to make sure you keep up with the class, so teachers will have to do less work in trying to explain concepts. Either way, homework sucks.

Cuz school is just a tool for learning. And true learning cannot be advocated without allowing the student to venture. On their own time, allowing their *own* restrictions (or not). Each with their own method for learning. School just gives that kernel of thought to learn/guidance. A student must fulfill the rest. Otherwise, if we only had school, and no homework, it is just like regurgitation. Not true learning.

Give a man a fish...teach a man to fish. School gives you the tools for knowledge and knowledge itself/it aims to teach you. But, the only way one can show that they have been taught/they have learned is by doing it on their own, in their own time. End point: self-sufficiency. If it does what it aimed to do, you should be able and willing to do homework, cuz that's true learning (doing beyond the teacher). Maybe a more comprehensive term would be away-from-school-work, rather than homework, as it suggests that beyond school, there is only home to do work in. But, that's more semantics play than anything.

I think that giving homework is an invasion of privacy laws.
    Not really. If you don't want to, you don't have to do homework. (yeah, you may fail out of school - but that's a choice). Hence, privacy is still intact, because otherwise, there would be a system where a school representative would be coming into your 'home' to see that your work is done. THAT is invasion of privacy laws. School gives you a 'choice'. Do the homework, or don't. You can choose. If you want to play X game, you gotta follow their rules. However, not following the rules, and still wanting to play X game....illogical and childish.

Home and work should not mix.
    Say that to your mother, father, merry-maid, whoever works at maintaining your home as functionable for habitability....

School is where work is done. Home is your time. Who agrees?
    Disagree. It is ALL your time.

You can choose to not make school your time, as well.
    DO IT! DARE YA!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    Say that to your mother, father, merry-maid, whoever works at maintaining your home as functionable for habitability....
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii