First 34567 Last

Kickin' Ass since 1984 GargoylesLegacy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    esTp

Easy. Schools have plans and schedules to follow. They have to teach you certain stuff until a certain date, so if you aren't fast enough at school, you have to do it at home. That's justice for ya. o.o
    Rule #1: Driver picks the music. Shotgun shuts his cakehole.

Again, Demons I get, but people are just crazy.

ESTP? o.O

MBTI
    InFp
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFj

To help out the kids who suck at tests, or to boost the teachers who suck at teaching.

MBTI
    INTP

As a teaching assistant, I like assigning homeworks, because sometimes points are the only incentive that works. I like to assign one problem from each topic covered. That way, the brilliant students will not find it tedious, and the struggling students will be forced to work problems from all the topics. Homework also gives me an opportunity to give students feedback, that many would otherwise miss unless they come to my office hours.

In the primary lecture, the teacher goes over the topics, and discusses applications of the material (the "forest"). In the secondary problem session that I teach, I go through examples, address problem areas, and answer questions (the "trees"). Of course I can also address the "forest," if needed. Sometimes it really helps the students to hear it explained in slightly different terms, or in a non-Russian accent (haha).

I also hold office hours, where I can observe the students doing their work, and see exactly where they're having problems. I usually have one or two students that come to nearly every session, and sometimes more when there is a test or quiz approaching.

I think assigning homeworks is completely fair and justified, because it really does help the students learn the material. I remember when I was in undergrad, and I almost never did the "suggested problems," unless they were worth something. Moreover, all the best teachers I've had have used homeworks to this very effect, and I've attempted to model their teaching styles as best as I can.

For me, teaching is steadily becoming a passion, and I want to be the most effective teacher I can be. Homeworks are a useful tool in my repertoire.

EDIT: This is not high school where you're forced to be there for eight hours, and then you go home. In college, with the possible exception of weekends, "home time" runs over into "school time."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

The only issue I see that are wrong with homework is that you guys are lazy.

An assignment of reading a books for example develops a child's vocabulary, grammar recognition, provides him with a more intricate speech pattern, gives examples of fluent ways to express their thoughts.

Writing essays teaches a child on how to structure their thoughts and arguments.

Ect... there are numerous advantages. I see absolutely no issue with giving children homework.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Shit, man, I have two jobs and I bring home at LEAST an hour (definitely more most of the time) of work (planning and grading) from school every day. If I can't get it done during the week, I spend a large part of my weekend doing homework (and incidentally, I almost never GIVE weekend homework).
    There's a little difference, you get paid.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ISFJ

To separate the Js from the Ps.

Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    In college, I'm the one paying them, so I don't think I should have to give them homework and whatnot if I'm also giving money.

At school, I just want the facts, I come up with the theories on my own.
    I completely agree with you Uber. I revolted against homework nearly all my education. I would walk around the school in elementary school with my nose in a book and get so involved that I'd forget to do anything else or get in trouble in class because I was reading instead of participating in the class.

I probably would have been better in a home-schooled environment where I could study things to great extent when they caught my interest rather than the force-fed BS that schools give you.

Most schools have 1 agenda: Pass the student on to the next grade. They don't care if you're absorbing or learning, they want you to pass the tests.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjur View Post
    The only issue I see that are wrong with homework is that you guys are lazy.
    Or that our brains are so engaged in actually LEARNING that we don't think that spending three hours regurgitating shit we already know is worth our time.
    Embrace the possibilities.

MBTI
    ENTP

They want us to become part of the system. I'll do my homework when I think it will help me to understand better something (I.E. application of maths or physics) or if I find the subject interesting. If not, why should waste my time in doing something that I already know?
    Teachers usually don't care if you learn something at all, they just want you to do what's expected from you: homework. That's why there are so many gifted kids who fail school. Few teachers allow you to stand up and explore by yourself the theory.
    Educational system needs a change.
    5w4 - Idiosyncratic/Leisurely/Dramatic
    It's the devil's way now.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
    I completely agree. My solution was to actually do WORK during school, instead of staring at the clock/listening to a teach explain things I already knew (I paid attention in Math/Science where we were learning things...but, in other classes, no)....problem solved. "homework", became "schoolwork", and I never had anything to have to do at home. I took all high-ish level classes, and literally would go months between having days with more than 10 minutes of work to do at home.

It's not MY problem if other people fail to take decent advantage of their 7 hours in school. Teachers that had a problem with me doing this, all at some point during the year had the same discussion with me. Went like this:
    "I see you doing homework for various classes while I'm teaching"
    "Yes. And?"
    "You need to pay attention, not be doing homework during class"
    "I seem to be doing fine in your class, I prefer to do my own activities at home, not spend my personal time doing additional work for classes, so either I will continue to work on homework in your class, or you will not be seeing any homework assignments from me in the future."
    That's funny, I do that too! Never did in high school though (note-taking was usually for the whole class there, and we didn't have much homework anyway). I've always wondered why I don't see anyone else doing that.

Only for slow/easy classes though, for harder ones I have to take notes and/or listen more. I got so much done in my criminology/psychology classes, ha.
    -end of thread-

I never did my homework back in school anyway