Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    At the high school level there's really no getting around it- IMO the students are (or should be) transitioning to a more adult, abstract form of learning. Even in middle school they can start practicing it. I tend to think regular homework in the elementary grades is inappropriate and probably means the teacher is overly focused on busywork. They haven't yet formed their concrete foundation, they're not ready for the abstractions yet.
    Oh, I definitely agree. I like the idea of "homework" in elementary school being focused on some kind of reading with a parent... though there's a lot of potential for huge disparity of resources among students. I've listened to some parents at the library trying to read to their children, and it was seriously heartbreaking once in particular because the parent could barely read aloud herself, and she got frustrated when the kids weren't paying attention to her reading and just told them to read the book themselves.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Oh, I definitely agree. I like the idea of "homework" in elementary school being focused on some kind of reading with a parent... though there's a lot of potential for huge disparity of resources among students. I've listened to some parents at the library trying to read to their children, and it was seriously heartbreaking once in particular because the parent could barely read aloud herself, and she got frustrated when the kids weren't paying attention to her reading and just told them to read the book themselves.
    Man. The things we take for granted...

This is another reason why it seems like a good idea to get as much done during the school day as possible.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Man. The things we take for granted...

This is another reason why it seems like a good idea to get as much done during the school day as possible.
    Well, yes, though I think that assigning reading to be shared with a parent at home or some other adult somewhere (like a mentor or something) is still a positive expectation overall. If nothing else, perhaps it alerts parents with limited experience with books and reading that developing literacy at home is valuable.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    infp

Homework is given to make sure all the material is covered. Is that good? It isn't when you spend your whole night doing it.

What I find... ironic is that for all the bitching some teachers do about "if you did that in a business you'd lose your job", they give you homework, which is soemthing that generally isn't found in the business world to my knowledge. Plus appraoching education as a preperation for business is fucking stupid in the first place. Not everyone goes into business, and it isn't a school of business; its a school, and education isn't job training, its education.

Some homework is neccasary, and thats fine, but they better make sure its worthwhile work and not busy work, and not restricted work (i.e. telling you what topic you must write your essay on).

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

What I find... ironic is that for all the bitching some teachers do about "if you did that in a business you'd lose your job", they give you homework, which is soemthing that generally isn't found in the business world to my knowledge. Plus appraoching education as a preperation for business is fucking stupid in the first place. Not everyone goes into business, and it isn't a school of business; its a school, and education isn't job training, its education.
    I think the sentiment is that if you slacked off and didn't do your work in your professional situation, you'd lose your job. A lot of jobs DO require that you take home work (even in the business world, people have to write contracts, take home things to read, draw up business plans, and the like--and some of that pours over into home time), but the point is not that you'll have homework when you're in the job world, but that you will have to be self-motivated and complete required tasks.

I do agree that approaching education as a preparation for BUSINESS is stupid - but the thing is, businesses have significant influence over legislation and school systems because they are kind of investors, if that makes any sense... and they complain that people are graduating without the critical thinking and writing skills they need. I think that's a valid complaint, and if kids are graduating without the skills they need to be successful professionally, we're not doing our jobs very well at all.
    INFJ

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Do you mean that they are fixated on my tendency to question things?
    The solicitor is the one who has a motive in the question.
    Why is that?

Because the solicitor speaks on his own behalf.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII?

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I don't understand. Home and work should not mix. School is where work is done. Home is your time. I think that giving homework is an invasion of privacy laws.

Who agrees?

If you disagree, then shame on you.

(I'd still love to hear your warped perspective.)
    Agreed.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I don't understand. Home and work should not mix. School is where work is done. Home is your time. I think that giving homework is an invasion of privacy laws.
    I completely agree. My solution was to actually do WORK during school, instead of staring at the clock/listening to a teach explain things I already knew (I paid attention in Math/Science where we were learning things...but, in other classes, no)....problem solved. "homework", became "schoolwork", and I never had anything to have to do at home. I took all high-ish level classes, and literally would go months between having days with more than 10 minutes of work to do at home.

It's not MY problem if other people fail to take decent advantage of their 7 hours in school. Teachers that had a problem with me doing this, all at some point during the year had the same discussion with me. Went like this:
    "I see you doing homework for various classes while I'm teaching"
    "Yes. And?"
    "You need to pay attention, not be doing homework during class"
    "I seem to be doing fine in your class, I prefer to do my own activities at home, not spend my personal time doing additional work for classes, so either I will continue to work on homework in your class, or you will not be seeing any homework assignments from me in the future."
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Eh, I don't think that categorically rejecting homework is a sensible opinion. It's all in the type and quantity of the homework given. At least at the K-12 level.

For instance, I absolutely HATED and refused to do useless busy work that I knew was given just to have us doing something. You know, the stupid little worksheets that you had to fill out where all the answers are obvious if you've been paying attention at all. I always wished that they'd just give me the book, send me home, and then test me on it later or have me do a research paper (some of the AP classes were much like this, though not all). Above all else, however, I hated the obnoxious projects that they made us do, such as "make a model of the animal cell for the umpteenth time", or "make a math poster", or "draw a comic strip of the scene at the beginning of chapter 5 of the Great Gatsby." These are the types of projects that cost money, lots of time, and are still just rigid enough to preclude any actual creativity.

For college, though, I agree with ptgatsby that the majority of learning should be done outside of school. The whole point of college is to exercise your ability to learn independently. If you can already do that on your own, then great, it should be easy and enjoyable for you. It really isn't that hard to do the two or three papers and the reading that you're assigned for a course that *you* elected, especially if you're a quick learner.

If all you want out of college, however, is to be paid lip service for an hour and a half every course and then presented with a nice piece of paper after having completed enough of them, then you shouldn't have gone to traditional university in the first place.

Of course, before I continue being all sanctimonious over the university, I will acknowledge that some people have some pretty definite goals, and they need to get a degree before those goals can even begin to be realized. They then have to put up with all of the required courses that they probably aren't interested in (and bitch about the attendant homework). But even in that case my sympathy is limited, as prereqs can be gotten out of the way in a year and a half if you're efficient, and the rest can be spent learning the things necessary for the field you've chosen to study. And those should be interesting enough to you (or, if not interesting, at least valuable in a practical sense) to motivate you to learn about it outside of school and do the necessary homework (and yes, it's usually all necessary- as others have mentioned, learning is not a simple process of teacher giving and student receiving knowledge). If they don't, then you should probably change your major or drop out and do something else instead of wasting your professor's time and your spot at a university that can only admit limited numbers of people.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness