User Tag List

Thread: The awkward tip

MBTI
    XXFP

Default The awkward tip

I did a little work for a client. I'm doing a few jobs for him, actually, some aren't finished yet, but I got through a few of them.

We sent some emails back and forth and he asks what he owes me so far. $70. He tells me he's going to leave the payment where I can find it at his house. So I show up today and there's a hundred dollar bill. I wonder if it's a tip, and remembering that it is Christmas and all, I figure it is.

So I send him an email thanking him for being generous.

He replies: "Any surplus money paid is supposed to be applied to total owed – it was not intended to be generous – a little early for “bonuses”."

And that's my story about the awkward tip. Except it wasn't a tip. So...I'm just awkward.

I seriously considered leaving him change, too.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    INTP

Ooh, ouch. He should have left a note stating as much, so as not to be confusing.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    XXFP

Yeah, just the bill, no note or anything. His email before hand was "I left your payment on the table in the mud room."

I've done jobs where I've been given tips. It's weird that it's rarely spoken of directly, right? It's like a secret, almost. "Oh, and here's this", but never "And here, take this extra tip money." So I figured it was on the hush, almost. Like, "I left your payment (wink) on the table."

Why are tips secretive?

MBTI
    INTP

I don't know--I know as a tipper, when I do, like to my hairstylist, etc., I guess it makes me feel awkward, like I'm suddenly putting her in the role of my servant or something, or like I'm calling attention to my generosity and she's supposed to react in some predetermined, overly grateful way. So I minimize it, though I do make sure the tip-ee knows they were tipped. I don't want them to think I stiffed them.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    XXFP

Oh yeah, I do the same thing. It'd just be weird to give a "loud tip" and be really showy about it, unless it was a really big job, like it took multiple days. That said, I'd say "for your efforts" and the money is implied.

I guess money is just dirty.

Humans are weird, right?

MBTI
    INTP

Humans are totally weird. Always.
    Something Witty