User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: THE GAME

Default THE GAME

THE GAME

RULE ONE

• Everyone is playing The Game. They always have been and always will be. Participation in The Game requires neither consent nor awareness of its existence.

Only when someone has told you about The Game does it become possible to lose, unless you independently create The Game.

The creator of The Game was the first person to realise that he was playing, and was therefore the first person to lose.

Variations:

You only begin playing The Game when you become aware of its existence.
      You may choose to not play The Game.

RULE TWO

• Loss is temporary. As soon as you forget about The Game, you start winning again.

It is possible for people to simultaneously lose The Game.

Causing others to lose The Game more than you is the only way to "win" The Game. Strategies usually involve leaving somekind of permanent reminder for others to see. e.g. answerphone messages, MSN pictures, forum posts, signs, graffiti etc.

Rule 2 can be interpreted in a number of different ways depending on:

When during the thought process of thinking about The Game constitutes loss?

(i) Whenever you think about The Game.

One interpretation is that any thought involving The Game constitutes loss. Therefore, the objective of this version is to forget about The Game. Experienced players can think about, and even discuss, The Game without realising they have lost. Not announcing this loss violates Rule 3. Whether or not a thought is about The Game is hard to define. For example, does thinking about this website count as thinking about The Game?

(ii) Whenever you remember that you are playing The Game.

There is a point at which you realise you are playing The Game without realising this means you have lost. Loss at this point would mean that the objective of this version is to forget that you are playing The Game. It is still possible to not realise that you have lost this version of The Game.

(iii) Whenever you then realise that you have lost.

When you become aware that you should lose, you lose. This version of The Game has seemingly paradoxical properties. The objective is to not realise you have lost. Unfortunately, the rule "Whenever you realise that you have lost, you have lost" does not explain how you lose to new players. However, this version of The Game prevents accidental cheating.

(iv) Whenever you realise you have thought about The Game.

It is possible to realise that you have thought about The Game without realising you have lost. This version still allows accidental cheating but significantly reduces it.

After reading these possibilities, you could well have forgotten that you are always playing The Game. No matter what version of the rules you play, you are playing The Game. You are thinking about The Game. You know you are thinking about The Game. Lose The Game. If you haven't just lost The Game, hopefully you have now. Only a true master could read this whole paragraph without losing The Game.

Do you lose when you are told about The Game by someone who has just lost?

There are 2 possibilities:

(i) Yes

In accordance with Rule 2, you lose if you think about The Game (see above), even if this is because you have been told by someone who has just lost. Many people play that you do lose, but that loss does not have to be re-announced. This results in it being beneficial not to be around other players of The Game (in addition to the fact that them losing reminds you of the existence of The Game in the long term). It should be noted that hearing someone else announce their loss does not necessarily cause you to lose as you may not think about The Game.

(ii) No

A new rule needs to be added to incorporate immunity if the trigger for rememberance was someone else losing. This rule would also have to take into account messages that are left about The Game.

Can you keep losing?

Some variations allocate a period of time, or "grace period", after losing The Game, during which you cannot lose.

This is often based on preventing repetitive or continuous loss.

(i) No grace period

Some players would argue that they do not need a grace period to prevent repetitive loss (see habituation). Involving time limits may in fact increase the rate of loss by associating The Game with when in becomes possible to lose again, as well as other time related occurrances.

(ii) Grace period, often 10, 20 or 30 minutes long.

Do you need to know what The Game is to be able to lose it?

Another area for confusion is how much you need to know about The Game in order to lose it.

For example, if you have never heard about The Game before, and I lose and say "I just lost The Game" then are you now thinking about The Game even though you have no idea what it is?

Variations:

A player loses 1 point for every loss, and any other players present gain 1 point.
      A player loses 1 point for every loss, and the other n players present gain 1/n points.

RULE THREE

• This is the only rule that can be broken.

You must tell everyone you can that you have lost.

It is possible to explain The Game to someone without realising that you have lost. Whether this counts as cheating or not depends on your interpretation of Rule 2.

Variations:

Upon loss you must explain the rules of The Game to anyone who is unaware of them.
      A warning is required before explaining The Game to others.
      Every loss must be announced to at least one person.

MBTI
    DNA
    Socionics
    so

"it is all in your head."

law of attraction "allows" you to see that doesn't it?

The world is a mirror of the complexity of human mind.

But what is REAL is that we are the physical world of substance.

When will we adhere to common sense of physicality and stop wanting to ride the eGO "of thought", stop living for the desire of being valid acording to an ID and Higher ID?

Why celebrate the though process while we could be living in the physical
    as the physical??

so... become self-honest and stop the mind.

That, is true love for self.
    LIFE is the expression of SELF within and as Oneness and Equality

MBTI
    pfni
    Enneagram

I just saw the title and I lost, dammit.
    Type: INFP Enneagram: 4
    Fi>Si>Ne>Te>Fe>Se>Ti>Ni

ˇcataplum!

MBTI
    DNA
    Socionics
    so

THE GAME
    is human life

why a game and not living?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Jane View Post
    I just saw the title and I lost, dammit.
    Yeah, from New Posts no less.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Yeah, from New Posts no less.
    Talk about a sniping tower.

...uggh, it's a virtual bloodbath in here!
    Players are dropping like flies!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

I remember this. Ban him. Fuck this shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    I remember this. Ban him. Fuck this shit.
    Merry Christmas!!!

MBTI
    DNA
    Socionics
    so

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Ha ha ISTP in action.

Let him play we need more ISTPs...also to balance the INFP exodus...more game theory too...especially zero sum game.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"