User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are you a member of Mensa?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - I am SJ

2 1.96%
  • No - I am SJ, but I qualify

2 1.96%
  • Yes - I am SJ

1 0.98%
  • No - I am SP

5 4.90%
  • No - I am SP, but I qualify

5 4.90%
  • Yes - I am SP

0 0%
  • No - I am NT

22 21.57%
  • No - I am NT, but I qualify

28 27.45%
  • Yes - I am NT

2 1.96%
  • No - I am NF

11 10.78%
  • No - I am NF, but I qualify

21 20.59%
  • Yes - I am NF

3 2.94%
First 31112131415 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Useful idiots tend to get the nod in lower level jobs/industries.
    There are industries where being socially competent does not get you far, and the scientific field is one of them. K-mart and McDonald's would require at least mediocre social skills.

People with high IQs may have been ostracized while young (due to the other children thinking they are "idiots" because they don't relate). This gives them little experience socially, leading to even less social skills as they age. Because others who have had a similar experience can relate, there are groups like Mensa. It is because of rejection resembling the responses to this question that these people have had very little practice socializing since they were small.

MBTI
    INTJ

Huh, I didn't realize that the qualifications weren't that high. I've never taken an actual IQ test so I don't know if I would qualify but it is a possibility. I just voted no though since I am not sure.

MBTI
    ENTP

Never taken a real IQ test, but I really doubt that I'd qualify for MENSA if I did.
    The probability that I was procrastinating when I was typing this post:

P(have big assignment due) = 0.6
    P(posting on TypoC) = 0.2
    P(having big assignment due | posting on TypoC) = 0.7

P(posting on TypoC | having big assignment due) = .......

Eh, I'll finish it later.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

According to that site, 1 out of every 50 people in the US would qualify if they tested, so it's not that exclusive. I'm not surprised that a lot of people who frequent a message board for discussing psychological theory would qualify. That's not the average person's way to spend leisure time.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Right now, there are like, 80-100 million people capable of joining the organization. Most of them don't even know it exists.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    There are actually quite a few bright people on the forum.
    I'm glad you have noticed, but frankly, complimenting me and Victor wasn't that necessary.

Thanks anyway.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Thought about it - but you know, I really don't have to go to that much effort to prove that I'm smart.
    I'd like to be a card carrying member, but, I don't think it would seriously add to the quality of my life.
    Last edited by CrystalViolet; 12-26-2009 at 08:28 PM. Reason: too many seriouslys
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

The judgements in this thread are interesting. I've made the mistake myself of thinking IQ correlates to interestingness, insightfulness, creativity or intelligence.

I'm sure the club has its good parts and its bad parts though. Discounts, chess and starcraft games sound like good parts to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamine View Post
    My observation was an expression that people did not have knowledge, but were so willing to judge.
    You must have spoken to people about religion, politics or as a more modern one, climate change?

I think it's pretty obvious, especially in those examples, that people love to judge from a position of ignorance. I know I do, almost automatically, I'd bet a lot that you do to. Tis a difficult thing to change.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    I think it's pretty obvious, especially in those examples, that people love to judge from a position of ignorance. I know I do, almost automatically, I'd bet a lot that you do to. Tis a difficult thing to change.
    The solution is simple: debating just for the sake of debating, and not to determine who is absolutely right or not. At a pinch, we might just try to guess which possible positions seem more false than others...

That's why "intelligence" (or whatever that is) is often correlated with NPs, according to our dear MacGuffin.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    yupp

I don't know. I don't care. Also I've noticed that people here have to be like I'm so smart, but i can't prove how smart am let me tell you how smart I am, blah blah blah. i find people like that to be the biggest assholes, I don't give two shits about how smart you are neither does anyone else. Unless you can't get my fucking order right at a resteraunt and it's not that complicated, but that's because you're too retarded to do anything, then I have a problem.

honestly probably not I tend to be pretty ditzy but not too ditzy to take food orders and get them incorrect.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so