User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are you a member of Mensa?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - I am SJ

2 1.96%
  • No - I am SJ, but I qualify

2 1.96%
  • Yes - I am SJ

1 0.98%
  • No - I am SP

5 4.90%
  • No - I am SP, but I qualify

5 4.90%
  • Yes - I am SP

0 0%
  • No - I am NT

22 21.57%
  • No - I am NT, but I qualify

28 27.45%
  • Yes - I am NT

2 1.96%
  • No - I am NF

11 10.78%
  • No - I am NF, but I qualify

21 20.59%
  • Yes - I am NF

3 2.94%
First 910111213 Last

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Secure people with qualifying scores don't join.
    Insecure people with qualifying scores do join.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    Are you sure? It seems to me people are not keen on employing too intelligent workforce.
    It depends on the job. Intelligence and ambition can strongly decrease one's value in menial positions. The employer don't want to hire someone who is likely to outgrow the job quickly.

Placing your IQ status on a resume could have unintended consequences also. Years ago, I worked with an engineer whose MENSA membership was well advertised. His performance was average, but his ability was judged very negatively by many because the expectations were high.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

How could anyone place a conclusive judgment on that many people? I would think that insecure people might tend to exaggerate the importance of belonging to something like mensa, but I'm guessing there are as many reasons people join/don't join as there are people. Elitism and exclusionary tactics do get old (and I can see how elements of that applies to something like mensa), but people also accomplish it in as many ways as there are people. Possibly the majority of people enjoy that sense of exclusion/elitism in some form in their lives.

It is also worth asking what would be wrong with someone joining mensa because they had the test scores and were "insecure"? Isn't valuing intelligence as a measure of worth similar to measuring security as a reflection of worth? Why is there a drive to even the score by matching a strength with a vulnerability in an attempt to negate it? I think society doesn't often value intelligence unless it is applied to gain wealth. There are intelligent people who are often rejected socially. Why delineate that it is something less if that person sought out external validation for their skill? Isn't that sort of judgment another version of elitism?

Standardized tests are a narrow measure of intelligence, they have innate cultural biases in many cases, but they are some sort of measure of performance. Just as some people have physical strengths and agility, some have physical attractiveness, some can sing well, there are also people with differing levels of intelligence. This becomes elitism when human value is assumed to correspond to external skill. However, when one sees a human life as having an infinite intrinsic value because it exists, then these external measures demonstrate skill, but are not measuring worth. Once that is understood then the elitism is no longer threatening (whether on the inside or outside), and varying levels of skill can be more fully appreciated whether they exist within ourselves or someone else.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Ginkgo

I qualify. However, if they invited me I would reject their patronage just like I rejected the "NO GIRLZ ALLOWED" tree-house club when I was five years old.

I find it to be elitist and socially constrictive.

MBTI
    INtP

I qualify, but I'm not interested. On the surface, if you were to describe it as a secular social club of people from all walks of life focused on learning and strategy/logic games, I'd say that it sounds appealing. But the "only qualitatively 'proven' smart people can join" exclusivity thing and the reputation that goes along with it (deserved or not) are a real turnoff. I think they'd do better by focusing more on the activities they partake in and (much) less on the entrance requirements to attract prospective members -- especially as they'd open things up to bright, inquisitive people with complementary interests who just don't happen to do well on standardized tests.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    "{Mensa} is a non-profit organization open to people who score at the 98th percentile or higher on a standardized, supervised intelligence test."

Here is a list of qualifying scores. No, that one internet IQ test you took doesn't count.

I'll make the poll private so no one has to out themselves, but if you wish to make a post, go ahead.
    I guess I would qualify based on the scores you've posted but it is not something I know much about. The whole concept of having a group that selects it's members on standardized test scores seems, well, a little strange. What would be the practical benefit of joining?

Enneagram
    1w2

35 people thus far who qualify for Mensa. What are the chances?

Maybe Mensa's not such a bad group, it would give these 35 people an opportunity to meet like-minded individuals in real life. I don't see how that's a bad thing. I know nothing about what Mensa looks like from the inside whether they're elitist or not, but a lot of people commenting seem too cool for school. It's $40 USD/year and I'm pretty sure that gets blown in a weekend. It's not much different from belonging to any other type of society or organization.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

Yes, I am a member of Mensa (though I've failed to pay for last year's membership).

^ True. Mostly.

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    How could anyone place a conclusive judgment on that many people?
    Litvyak, who is a member of mensa, wrote "True. Mostly." in response to my post.
    I'll leave it at that.
    The future is for the unafraid.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Hmm, I think many members on this forum qualify, woo-hoo, we're smartypantsersons who spend all day on the interwebs.

I much rather join a forum like this then join a club of people who, sadly, "bond" *strictly* on their IQ scores.

My sister has an IQ of 120 and I think she's brilliant.

My mother has an IQ of 75 to 80, or so, and she's an S, and I think she is one incredibly intuitive creature, like, freakishly so.

My deceased pops had an IQ in the 160 to 175 range, and he was an idiot, through and through.

So, yeah.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

^^ Good points. Intelligence and contribution are much broader than they have traditionally been viewed. There are a great many skills not given their full kudos in society. Some of these are also particularly difficult to test and measure like artistic skills, etc.

Litvyak, who is a member of mensa, wrote "True. Mostly." in response to my post.
    I'll leave it at that.
    A mensa member's impression is more reliable, but not proof by any means since it is only an impression, and it doesn't address the group that has not joined who could be equally insecure (since that is a common human trait). Why is it so important that mensa members be insecure? What difference does that make? It doesn't change the test scores. It could lessen the sense of superiority and elitism associated with the group by people viewing it, but that only matters if it was ever perceived as such.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)