User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Default Usehername's Life: Choose Her Adventure

Alright. So this post will be spouted off before I have time to re-think things; it just needs to be done this way. I need input before I hash out a plan that isn't practical and others' advice (no matter how small) is extremely appreciated.

I need to go live somewhere else next year. I need to figure myself out. I know who my inside me is, but I don't know who my outside me is. (Intrapersonal intelligence = great; figuring out how I want to use the skills I have in life in terms of committing to a profession = not so great).

Here's how it goes.

*Respectable but not fantastic GPA (roughly a little over 3.3 on the 4.0 scale but I'm not on that scale)
    *Taken a year off; done the gap year program; built houses in Africa, done all the adventuring I could ever dream of during that year
    *Near-completion of a BA in psychology but also cutting away nicely at chemistry courses
    *jack of all trades, master of none (i play a handful of instruments; am into cycling, rowing and tried surfing and scuba diving each once and loved them both; enjoy reading regularly but am not a bibliophile, etc.)

Considering: pursuing a medical degree. Uncertain but at this point it seems to be the best use of my interests and skills. Also aware of how lame a choice this is in terms of everyone wanting to be a MD who is interested in health care; I used to be certain I could find a way to satiate all my intellectual interests & find something in health care that suited me (seriously considered clincal psych, physiotherapy, etc.) but am starting to really think I need to go for the MD to not see myself as reaching for less than I want/am capable of.

Problem: I can't shadow doctors where I live. My family has the town covered in every area of health care. I don't want them knowing I'm considering trying for an MD; it would cause many undesired dynamics and it'd be another factor to weed out when discovering if it really is for me (them being around all the hospitals is not what I need when I'm trying to figure out if this is my personal path).

Solution I'm Looking For: Find somewhere else to get some serious hours of shadowing/hands-on experience under my belt to decide if this is for me. Also, field exposure is the major gap in my would-be-application at this point.

Would also want to get a few more credit hours behind me (i don't have any physics/cell bio prereqs done although the rest is completed).

Therefore I want to find somewhere to move for a year or two that:
    a) has exposure to a variety of health-care settings (i.e. no small towns)
    b) I can finish the few courses I have left
    c) I can enjoy living ***Needs to be Sunny for a prairie girl who hated the 3 months she lived in rainy B.C.***
    d) I can work part-time (I'm Canadian).
    e) ideally I can ride my bike a lot (the nerdy type of bike with lycra shorts)

=>What are my options as a Canadian going to the U.S.? (Because for most of the months in Canada I can't ride.) How likely is it that I can get a job on campus as a part-time student (because I'm assuming I'm legally not allowed to get a job somewhere else?)

=>Should I try and scheme a way to get a green card for a year so I can work some waitressing job or will this be a crapshoot? Is it financially worth it for me to go to the states given the economy shift?

Other thoughts:
    *I'd need to wait a year for the application to med school anyway; I could finish my courses during that year
    *go to bible college?
    *let's not leave north america unless I have a fantastic reason to do so. I've heard more than a few rumors about how going overseas to save the world can actually be a detriment to your med school application. and i've already done it once.

Any thoughts? Ideas? Advice?
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

My hunch says that you can get all that you are looking for (and more) in California. But take that with a grain of salt, since I haven't even been there.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Therefore I want to find somewhere to move for a year or two that:
    a) has exposure to a variety of health-care settings (i.e. no small towns)
    b) I can finish the few courses I have left
    c) I can enjoy living ***Needs to be Sunny for a prairie girl who hated the 3 months she lived in rainy B.C.***
    d) I can work part-time (I'm Canadian).
    e) ideally I can ride my bike a lot (the nerdy type of bike with lycra shorts)
    Texas (at least out of everywhere I've been, which includes most of the South, Midwest, and Southeast U.S.). Houston, specifically, rocks health care.

=>What are my options as a Canadian going to the U.S.? (Because for most of the months in Canada I can't ride.) How likely is it that I can get a job on campus as a part-time student (because I'm assuming I'm legally not allowed to get a job somewhere else?)
    It isn't difficult at all to get a job at most colleges.

=>Should I try and scheme a way to get a green card for a year so I can work some waitressing job or will this be a crapshoot? Is it financially worth it for me to go to the states given the economy shift?
    IMO, it would always be worth it financially to go to the U.S., but then I have never lived elsewhere. There will be a big difference financially in New York vs. California vs. Texas.

*go to bible college?
    There are a ton of christian universities in the U.S., but they are all private and generally significantly more expensive than any public college.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Thanks, guys!

Places to Research that have been mentioned or PMed to me:
    'Merican Places
    *California
    *Texas
    *Atlanta area

Canadian Places
    *Vancouver
    *area of BC where it's still sunny
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Thanks, guys!

'Merican Places
    *California
    *Texas
    *Atlanta area

Canadian Places
    *Vancouver
    Victoria is lea side of the island before the air gets a chance to pick up rain from the straight. The Okanagan Valley would be near desert if it wasn't irrigated (Kameloops, Kelona, Vernon, Penticton).
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ISTP

Thanks, guys!

'Merican Places
    *California
    *Texas
    *Atlanta area

Canadian Places
    *Vancouver
    A lot of BC gets sun - even Vancouver, with a reputation for rain, gets a fair bit. That, and you can play sports all year long in the lower mainland and what not... very moderate temperature range. As you head towards Alberta, you do get less rain/more sun, but more extremes.

Victoria does get notably more sun and less rain and maintains pretty mean temperatures, compared to Vancouver.

University of Victoria is an option but I don't know about the medical field there.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Have you asked your parents what they think you should do?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

good news for you! I read an article in Newsweek a few weeks ago that says that med schools are desperate to accept students who study things other than pre-med or hard sciences and also want people with more diverse life experiences! (apparently they feel that the doctors that we have out there now are a bit too scientific and that it's harming their relations with patients)

(just thought I'd share that even though it's only somewhat relevant! )

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

North Carolina is coated in hospitals, including UNC and Duke. You could always consider us, Usehername!
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Have you asked your parents what they think you should do?
    mom's family = all health care technologists of some sort (including her, when she's not a stay-at-home mom (she only works when my dad's off work for the summer b/c he's a teacher).
    dad's side = swamped with MDs in every field. literally have every hospital covered with relatives; can't enter to visit a friend without someone finding out.

ISFJ mom's opinion: get a low-level health-care job (some sort of technologist) and tow the line for the rest of your life, resting in the safety of knowing you have a regular income and predictibility for what you're going to do until you're old enough to retire. commit to a program (and she regularly reminds me of how when she was my age, she was already in her field doing what she does every day.
    (be anything but a doctor; those doctors on your dad's side of the family don't know what Real Life is like. They are missing out on learning what it means to be a hard-working, contributing member of society b/c they are ridiculously overpaid. they raised snobby kids who don't know what a hard day's work is).

ENFP dad's opinion: do what makes you happy without harming yourself or others.

clearly I cannot explore medicine here without a) setting off a domino effect of family dynamics (including loyalty to mom's family vs. dad's family re: low-level health care worker or MD) and b) getting so many differing opinions and pressures that i won't be able to sort my personal feelings from my family's.
    C.S. Lewis