User Tag List

First 123

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    I don't think she was planning to ride around with a red maple leaf T-shirt or anything. But, I think I agree with you, and it sounds as if you have more information and observations on this than me.
    My observations are general, applying to anyone unfamiliar with the culture and environment. They would be exceptionally foreign and hostile to her, to the point that I expect she would be quite uncomfortable. None lend themselves to her a through e list in any respect.

Also, I would say from personal experience while cycling, anyplace except a dedicated bike path is difficult to deal with culturally and dangerous.
    Down here about 90% of our non-residential non-freeway roads have marked bicycle sections (even higher around UCSD and up into North County) and bicycles among automobile traffic are fairly common. Auto-bicycle accidents are rare, too. In fact, North County has a system of entirely separate bicycle routes.

Oh yes:
    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername
    Is it financially worth it for me to go to the states given the economy shift?
    It's better if you have a source of income or savings up there, but otherwise not something to take into consideration. The local economy is more important, which is why I live where I do. People are leaving for cheaper housing and lower incomes after graduating here, companies are losing their most experienced baby boomers to retirement, and they have a hard time replacing them, while the economy is otherwise strong. Therefore, there is a vacuum in most industries that makes moving here attractive if you can make enough to live here comfortably (that is, for people like me). I can all-but guarantee that if you can get the work permit (or work on campus, if that's allowed), that you'll make more than enough to offset the exchange rate and cost of living.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Do not go to the south (GA, TX, et al) - the culture and environment are not hospitable. I also excluded anywhere on the east coast and Chicago - they would be very difficult for you to deal with culturally and most are dangerous.
    There is a big difference between a major city and a 500 pop. town. And while major cities have dangerous parts, I wouldn't say that they are too dangerous for someone to move to. I wouldn't say Chicago is any more dangerous than...say...Los Angeles, one of the major hubs of street gang activity in the U.S.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    There is a big difference between a major city and a 500 pop. town. And while major cities have dangerous parts, I wouldn't say that they are too dangerous for someone to move to. I wouldn't say Chicago is any more dangerous than...say...Los Angeles, one of the major hubs of street gang activity in the U.S.
    Except it is distinctly different culturally. Gangs are generally only dangerous if you're a member of a rival gang, a criminal (including drug addicts), or a police officer.

Seriously, if I had to choose one major US metro area out of our top 10 to walk through a neighborhood alone at night based on the blindfolded throw of a dart, I'd choose Los Angeles without a second thought (considering it's #2, that should say something). The remainder are dramatically more dangerous and have less good areas... Los Angeles is mostly nice and fairly safe suburbs, though I still wouldn't recommend it for her. If that same game was played with the top 20, it'd be a toss-up between Minneapolis and San Diego.

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

...[/list]
    This post was most helpful in orienting myself a bit.
    Wolf = library of knowledge. Thanks, Wolf!!

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    Also, I would say from personal experience while cycling, anyplace except a dedicated bike path is difficult to deal with culturally and dangerous.
    Yes. The major prairie city I'm from (well... outside... but I went to private school there since i was 12 and my life has revolved around the city even though I don't live in it) has an average of 2+ times commuters have been hit by vehicles. I'd be a little chicken to ride on the roads here, never mind in winter with ice. Bike hits a patch and you go under the car... shudder.

My observations are general, applying to anyone unfamiliar with the culture and environment. They would be exceptionally foreign and hostile to her, to the point that I expect she would be quite uncomfortable. None lend themselves to her a through e list in any respect.
    It's better if you have a source of income or savings up there, but otherwise not something to take into consideration. The local economy is more important, which is why I live where I do. People are leaving for cheaper housing and lower incomes after graduating here, companies are losing their most experienced baby boomers to retirement, and they have a hard time replacing them, while the economy is otherwise strong. Therefore, there is a vacuum in most industries that makes moving here attractive if you can make enough to live here comfortably (that is, for people like me). I can all-but guarantee that if you can get the work permit (or work on campus, if that's allowed), that you'll make more than enough to offset the exchange rate and cost of living.
    Yes. No southern states for me (which was what I was initially thinking, but is nice to hear from another voice). No offence to anyone who lives there, but I'm a scrawny Canadian.
    (And on that topic, I'm seriously having trouble keeping my weight up lately. To the point of drinking pop drinks (read: sodas) to gain weight temporarily. and being a 112 lb female for the past year or so has really made me realize how much nicer it is to be 130 lbs and not be such a literal pushover. I stand no chance if something were to happen to me in the Big Cities Damned metabolism! Although I am tall & lightweight, which is good for both rowing & cycling.)

Current thoughts:
    *SoCal seems like the most ideal place but I'm expecting to not be able to work in the US for legal reasons (I've done some research and although there's definitely some possibilities, they are not likely). Therefore I'm anticipating it's not a practical place (nor anywhere in the states) despite its clear advantages. Unless someone wants to hire me illegally. I'll keep researching this from time to time, though.

*Kelowna, BC is my "dream" place atm. A sub-campus of UBC (called UBC Okanagan) exists, has a rowing club + great place for cycling + still sunny + is large enough to offer medical opportunities for shadowing. It's got every pro on my list.
    Cons: *Very high cost of living.
    *How likely is it that I can get a job? (Or, one that pays well enough to not put me into debt before I can accomplish everything on my list of goals that I'm moving there for in the first place?) There isn't much there on the internet b/c it's a smaller city (six figure pop. but very small six figures).

Also, what do people do with U-Hauls when they're moving across the country & have to stay overnight in a hotel?! Leave the entirety of their material possessions on a giant metal box with an easily pickable lock, nevermind a motorized giant metal box that can be stolen?!
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    This post was most helpful in orienting myself a bit.
    Wolf = library of knowledge. Thanks, Wolf!!
    You're welcome. (Didn't put this in at first, sorry about that. I'm still working on acknowledging compliments.)

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Also, what do people do with U-Hauls when they're moving across the country & have to stay overnight in a hotel?! Leave the entirety of their material possessions on a giant metal box with an easily pickable lock, nevermind a motorized giant metal box that can be stolen?!
    How far are you going? I'm not accustomed to running more than a couple drivers worth of distance in one at a time, but the few times I've needed to stop for the night they were safe. Use a quality lock and it should be fine.

Or do like I did - buy what you need to live wherever you happen to move to and sell anything you don't want to keep when you move. Craigslist is great for picking up common items that you would need just as you sell similar common items.