User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    good news for you! I read an article in Newsweek a few weeks ago that says that med schools are desperate to accept students who study things other than pre-med or hard sciences and also want people with more diverse life experiences! (apparently they feel that the doctors that we have out there now are a bit too scientific and that it's harming their relations with patients)

(just thought I'd share that even though it's only somewhat relevant! )
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    North Carolina is coated in hospitals, including UNC and Duke. You could always consider us, Usehername!
    thanks, guys.

i'm leaning toward sticking around in canada for bureaucratic ease, but i sure will be researching all the possibilities by the time winter semester is coming to a close!
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Does anyone know the General Trend for taking more university classes once you've claimed a degree?

For example:
    If I claim my degree at the university i'm attending, would I have to start over if I just wanted to take a few classes somewhere else?
    Or, could I jump right in to a 3rd year chemistry class because I've completed the prerequisites even though it would only be a few credit hours toward another degree?
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Does anyone know the General Trend for taking more university classes once you've claimed a degree?
    Far as I know, the transfer limits do not change once you claim a degree.

The BC transfer guide is at;

BC Transfer Guide

I am not sure about the other provinces.

Edit: This might help too - [CMEC] Pan-Canadian Protocol on the Transferability of University Credits

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

thanks, Pt!
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Most people (particularly people of above-average intelligence) don't know what they want to do until they're in their late twenties or early thirties. No matter which of the above tracks you choose, you'll have a stable job with good pay so that when you do know what you want to do with the rest of your life, you'll have the money to set about it.

It's easier to change directions career-wise than you'd think, particularly if you have a good nest egg put aside.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Most people (particularly people of above-average intelligence) don't know what they want to do until they're in their late twenties or early thirties. No matter which of the above tracks you choose, you'll have a stable job with good pay so that when you do know what you want to do with the rest of your life, you'll have the money to set about it.

It's easier to change directions career-wise than you'd think, particularly if you have a good nest egg put aside.
    thanks for the reassurance

(it's not the nest-egg that would be the issue, it would be the fertilized ones when i'm in my late 20s/early 30s that would be the issue! i'd much rather take the time now and make the right choice than change careers once i'm a mother. i mean, mad props to everyone who can do that, but i'm just aware of the luxury i have atm without much responsibilities to others so i want to exploit that to the fullest range of capabilities i have.)
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    thanks for the reassurance

(it's not the nest-egg that would be the issue, it would be the fertilized ones when i'm in my late 20s/early 30s that would be the issue! i'd much rather take the time now and make the right choice than change careers once i'm a mother. i mean, mad props to everyone who can do that, but i'm just aware of the luxury i have atm without much responsibilities to others so i want to exploit that to the fullest range of capabilities i have.)
    I didn't realize you were interested in becoming a mother in the near(ish) future. That changes a lot. Being a mother is what you do with the rest of your life. That being the case, you should choose whatever career path you feel adequately balances time at home with the kids and the money to raise 'em.

That said, though, I've known several women who changed careers or even started their own businesses after having children. Again, so long as you have a decent amount of money put aside, your options grow exponentially.

You're bright and capable. Don't sweat it. If your entire life were decided by the age of 22, what fun would the rest of it be?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    You're bright and capable. Don't sweat it. If your entire life were decided by the age of 22, what fun would the rest of it be?
    As much fun as her plan entailed?

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

I second Vancouver (in spite of the cloudiness) and Southern California (where it's perpetually sunny (I describe it as oppressively-sunny) and constantly mild (you could cycle any time of the year in the southernmost portion)). Vancouver is much cloudier than you're probably keen on, though, and Victoria has better weather but is otherwise hopeless - it's little more than a small town. You would need a work permit of some kind to work in the US, though most foreign students don't get them and live off loans or family when here.

Do not go to the south (GA, TX, et al) - the culture and environment are not hospitable. I also excluded anywhere on the east coast and Chicago - they would be very difficult for you to deal with culturally and most are dangerous.

If you weren't keen on cycling all year round, I would also recommend MN.

If Southern California:

The area around UCSD (and, in fact, the university itself) would be the best fit based on your list. Los Angeles/Orange County has the ultimate in possibilities, but some areas are dangerous for things like cycling, the air quality is bad, congestion is unreal, and they get monsoon rains like nothing you've ever seen.

Downsides are:
    • Southern California is one of the most expensive places to live in North America. (The upshot is that every job pays more.)
    • The southernmost part (Southern Orange County and all areas south) is very hilly, which may be disorienting to a "prairie girl".
    • Unless you live on campus and work nearby, a car is all-but required. Southern California is very automobile-oriented, to the point that in many cases people without them are at an extreme disadvantage, even with our fairly robust mass transit systems. (My favorite burger chain (In-N-Out) invented the drive-through, which has been copied all over the world, that's how deeply entrenched cars are (and have been for at least 60 years) in the lifestyle of Southern California.)
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Do not go to the south (GA, TX, et al) - the culture and environment are not hospitable. This is also why I excluded anywhere on the east coast and Chicago - they would be very difficult for you to deal with culturally and/or dangerous.
    I don't think she was planning to ride around with a red maple leaf T-shirt or anything. But, I think I agree with you, and it sounds as if you have more information and observations on this than me. Also, I would say from personal experience while cycling, anyplace except a dedicated bike path is difficult to deal with culturally and dangerous.