User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Default The Decade of Suck!

Time magazine heralds the end of the 2000's with an issue entitled, "The Decade from Hell."

Granted on a personal level, I enjoyed my daily life...but then again the societal elements are somewhat of a drag that came home here and there to roost for many of us.

i.e. Two recessions, well one recession...stagflation, and the current depression...I did say depression being it is the first time since the Great Depression that jobs will not recover post the economic slump for quite some time.

Some of us lost jobs, homes, some are adapting to new lifestyles...

I'd be interested in hearing other's opinions of the decade of nought, like was it really all that bad? Specifically what was bad about it?

Television?
    Art?
    Music?
    Movies?
    Internet?
    The Government not having any clothes?

I'd also like to hear from those who didn't perceive this time frame past as a massive train wreck on a societal scale.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

It's funny, society took a shit while this decade was probably my best one so far.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ISFx
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    It's funny, society took a shit while this decade was probably my best one so far.
    There could be a huge difference btwn Americans and Canadians, especially Calgary, Alberta. You guys did have that economic boom.

MBTI
    INTP

[pessimism]
    The internet had not yet reached full maturity, but all other forms of media were drowning. Television was awash with mediocre spin-offs and formulaic shows. Radio was bland and manufactured, suitable only for car rides and background noise at work. Movies ceased to be profitable, so moviemakers took fewer risks, and chose to piss out summer blockbusters instead of thinking creatively. Traditional newspapers crumbled, as people realized that they could get the same news faster and for free through other outlets.
    [/pessimism]

On the other hand, the internet made it possible for underground media and open media to thrive. Small, local bands could reach out to a vast fan base. Anyone could upload a video. College lectures were made free for anyone to learn. The wikipedia project has a vast storehouse of good, reliable content. The downside? When you have nearly unlimited data, you need to sort through it, and keyword-based search just didn't cut it. Toward the end of the decade, some technologies popped up to address this issue. Hopefully, in the 2010s, the internet will come to full maturity.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Well, most of it involved president Bush, the do nothing congress, and their deeds. That alone sort of fucked it up. The parts of it that have not involved that have involved people frantically, and not very successfully, trying to repair the damage.

I suppose I don't really need to mention all of the specific terrible events of this decade.

And while I will not comment on the other arts, I have to say that this decade has been a musical low point. From the 1950s to now, this is very possibly the worst decade for music. That, of course, is purely a matter of personal taste.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

This decade was my growing up decade, so it will probably be the one I identify most with even when I am older. Being a kid for the first 7 years of the decade, I did not pay attention to most worldly happenings (probably should've avoided this thread). Anyway:

Television? started to lose interest in. Reality shows. Enough said.

Art? I am an artist, but I really didn't pay much attention as far as this goes. Although a lot of films and music influenced me, CGI and technology are obviously making ideas more a part of reality.

Music? the decade in which I refined my musical tastes, although they are somewhat obscure so it does not reflect popularized music and radio (most of which is shit).

Movies? Some great movies came out, but I'm not a movie goer so I only saw a handful of them.

Internet? Best thing ever.

The Government not having any clothes? huh

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

2000 was a weird one personally but also had a lot of fun.

As far as society seems pretty fucked. The War of Terror/WMDs con, recession/depression and Wall St./corporate bailouts/TARP. Musicians of note and newer forms of music pretty unremarkable compared to former decades.

Neutral TV:
    a) ups: internet TV, amount of channels and choice of shows out the ass and beyond, Tivo
    b) downs media appears to be more of a government/corporate pawn as ever, news journalism lowered to annoying propaganda shows with minimal integrity (i.e. Glenn Beck, Bill O' Reilly, Nancy Grace, Faux News and its clones in general), seems like public is getting dumber all of the time.

The only thing that is very impressive is the technology especially gadgets/internet and video gaming.

The black president thing was a bit of a pleasant surprise but with a letdown because when it comes down to it Obama seems primarily just like a black eloquent version of George W. Bush.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Here's a good question: What decades were equally bad or worse for the USA?

Off the top of my head, I'll say 1960, 1930, and 1860.

You might say 1910 or 1940, but I'm one of those people that thinks, in spite of the losses, that the World Wars probably made this country better.

The first couple of decades sucked, of course, but such were the pains of trying to form a sovereign nation with a radical consitution. I think of them as positive, though, because while hard, they were successful decades.

1970 kind of blew... You know, 1960 to 1970 was an unusually bad twenty year stretch. About the only good thing to say of it all is the civil rights movement.

One might also speak positively of 1860 in terms of freeing the slaves, but that's about it. And of course, we all know that the actual affect it had on southern blacks was minimal for the next 80 to 100 years, and that the changes that did finaly happen in the 20th century really started in the north anyhow.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
    There could be a huge difference btwn Americans and Canadians, especially Calgary, Alberta. You guys did have that economic boom.
    I moved here in 07. My time before moving here was still better than my childhood.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

The sixties were turbulent, but some great music was made.

Thirties suck yes. 1860 yes, and agree that difficult periods are worthwhile when people are able to cooperate toward positive action. They made some good movies in the forties.

Good big band tunes too.

Seventies were awful, like leisure suits, bell bottoms, funny hairdos, ugly cars with lots of chrome. But still some good music and Star Wars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Life was simpler, so maybe actually good except people dressing themselves funny.

hmm...so on the suck scale maybe worse that 1960 but not as suck as 1860?