User Tag List

First 123

MBTI
    ISFx
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    Any Canadians know of a decade that was far more suck than 00's?

I'm not well read on Canadian history so it's be very interesting.
    Not really much different than Americans unless you look at it from a provincial perspective.

My father (from Europe) said the 60s where the best since anyone could find a job.

The 70s were a distaster pop culture wise - fashion, movies (except Star Wars ) and disco - and to think that the 70s fashion is back.

The 80s were pretty bad if you wanted to buy a house since lending rates skyrocketed.

The 90s had some recessions (2 if I remember correctly) and as a country we realized that our spending must be brought under control.

The 00s was not great since Ontario lost a huge amount of jobs in manufacturing and our PM diss our province international telling them not to invest in Ontario. :steam:

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    Time magazine heralds the end of the 2000's with an issue entitled, "The Decade from Hell."

Granted on a personal level, I enjoyed my daily life...but then again the societal elements are somewhat of a drag that came home here and there to roost for many of us.

i.e. Two recessions, well one recession...stagflation, and the current depression...I did say depression being it is the first time since the Great Depression that jobs will not recover post the economic slump for quite some time.

Some of us lost jobs, homes, some are adapting to new lifestyles...

I'd be interested in hearing other's opinions of the decade of nought, like was it really all that bad? Specifically what was bad about it?

Television?
    Art?
    Music?
    Movies?
    Internet?
    The Government not having any clothes?

I'd also like to hear from those who didn't perceive this time frame past as a massive train wreck on a societal scale.
    I think a serious decline was begun with the 1979 victory of neo-classical economics in drag with the election of radical conservatives in the UK and US.

Its had a lot of terrible consequences, entire communities rendered unemployed and unemployable, armies of ineffectual social workers recruited to try and prevent child neglect, cruelty, domestic violence and all the other things that go with destitution and consumerism on the march as a substitute for philosophy, religion, ideology.

I totally agree. 08' and 09' were the worst years of them all, I hope people
    are happy because they took all the change hype too literally and changed
    well EVERYTHING. THEN they wonder why they are more easily bored than th-
    ey used to be, and where everyone is that they need. Why there are some
    people in my life I don't care what anybody else thinks of because I know they
    are for real and have been around whether we were bummed or laughing and
    having a good time.

ENTJ

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I think a serious decline was begun with the 1979 victory of neo-classical economics in drag with the election of radical conservatives in the UK and US.
    Please explain further on the "neo-classical" aspect, and exactly how you are defining conservatism for the U.S. and UK at the same time?

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Time magazine is garbage.

Anyway, this decade started out extremely sucky for me, but turned around about the halfway mark and has been in an upswing since then.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by countrygirl View Post
    Not really much different than Americans unless you look at it from a provincial perspective.

My father (from Europe) said the 60s where the best since anyone could find a job.

The 70s were a distaster pop culture wise - fashion, movies (except Star Wars ) and disco - and to think that the 70s fashion is back.

The 80s were pretty bad if you wanted to buy a house since lending rates skyrocketed.

The 90s had some recessions (2 if I remember correctly) and as a country we realized that our spending must be brought under control.

The 00s was not great since Ontario lost a huge amount of jobs in manufacturing and our PM diss our province international telling them not to invest in Ontario. :steam:
    Only difference I noticed is that Canada definately has it's budget under control vs. our band of drunken sailors. Even in the US, certain policies have more so benefited certain states.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Time magazine is garbage.

Anyway, this decade started out extremely sucky for me, but turned around about the halfway mark and has been in an upswing since then.
    Yes, but it's a far sight better than the Wall Street Journal. n' that's not saying much.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Please explain further on the "neo-classical" aspect, and exactly how you are defining conservatism for the U.S. and UK at the same time?
    Free market conservatism: a critique ... - Google Books

That's a good reference, with look inside feature to let you see some of the chapters, this is how I define it. I cant copy and paste it but there a good header quote from Keynes at the start of the chapter Thatcherism: The Miracle That Never Happened, check it out.

I know that conservatism should be a national and cultural specific development but in the case of Reagonomics and Thatcherism there was a definite shared ideology.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Here's a good question: What decades were equally bad or worse for the USA?

Off the top of my head, I'll say 1960, 1930, and 1860.

You might say 1910 or 1940, but I'm one of those people that thinks, in spite of the losses, that the World Wars probably made this country better.
    The flu epidemic during 1918-1919 places the 1910's firmly as the worst, imo. Plus don't forget that the Federal Reserve Act was passed in 1913. I will agree that the 1860's were bad, but more Americans died from the Spanish Flu than from the Civil War, and then you tack on the Great War and 1910 wins it hands down, imo.
    "If you would convince a man that he does wrong, do right. But do not care to convince him. Men will believe what they see. Let them see."
    Thoreau

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Chunes View Post
    The flu epidemic during 1918-1919 places the 1910's firmly as the worst, imo. Plus don't forget that the Federal Reserve Act was passed in 1913. I will agree that the 1860's were bad, but more Americans died from the Spanish Flu than from the Civil War, and then you tack on the Great War and 1910 wins it hands down, imo.
    I had not considered the Spanish flu, and that's a good point, but think about this: The number of Americans that died in the Civil War and the Spanish flu epidemic is nearly the same (with more dead by flu, as you said), but keep in mind that the American population was much smaller in 1860 than it was in 1910. 620,000 taken from America in the 1860s could very well be more socially devastating than 670,000 taken in the 1910s.

Now, yes, we'd have to add on the total of people lost in WWI for the 1910s, and that bumps it up a bit. Still, I'd say the numbers are contextual significant in civil war times.

In my opinion, in comparing the civil war to the first world war, the former was more politically and culturally bleak and than the latter. "Victory" only want to some of America, and all victory really meant was just keeping the country from breaking to pieces, so it was essentially a bloody, expensive loss for the sake of crawling back to start.

Oh, yeah, and the federal reserve I don't care about at all.
    Go to sleep, iguana.