User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default MBTI functions in an RPG...

toonia mentioned this jokingly in her blog, but I actually started thinking of scenarios for such a thing.

Si abilities:

Standards Knowledge -- Awareness of what standards exist for specific situations.

Hyper Recall -- Ability to cite several past events and specific data in support of a position.

Resist uncertainty -- Prepares for a plethora of negative possibilities, and ensure continued safety should they occur.

Ni abilities:

Sense motive -- Can correctly determine a person's intentions 70% of the time. When it fails, the person will become deluded and confused (and yet totally convinced of themselves) regarding the person's motives.

Zoom out -- Allows you to view a situation in a more removed/abstracted way, in terms of how it is related to other theoretical situations. Can clarify strategy, but obscure important details of the specific situation.

Paradigm shift -- Look at the same situation in a new way, approach it from a different angle.

Ne abilities:

Distract -- Confuses enemies by focusing attention away from the topic at hand.

Random integration -- Supports an argument by showing how a seemingly unrelated situation is in fact the same as/similar to the one at hand.

Boundary awareness -- Becomes aware of every possible event given the current situation and knowledge.

Se abilities:

Quick draw -- Can react more rapidly to unexpected events than others without this ability.

Dispel Mental -- Forces attention back to the literal situation rather than models of, or things related to it. Counteracts Standards Knowledge, Random Integration, and Paradigm Shift.

Quick fix -- Can make something work for necessary purposes, at least temporarily. Fixes have a higher chance of breaking down under heavy/unexpected use, or just over time.

What do you think? Is it interesting?

MBTI
    ENTP

Yes, it is interesting. I'd be interested in finding a way to integrate this sort of thing into a game.

You know Athenian, when you make lists like this, they're really good. I mean really, really good. Some people who do lists J style come off really anal and boring, but yours are always brilliant and end up being topics of conversation (and appreciation) amongst me and my buddies here

I'm a great believer in the D&D alignment system as a great predictor for human behaviour. I'm surprised it hasn't received more attention outside of RPG circles.

(neutral good, in case you're wondering...)
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    ENTP

Ooops, sorry was that me doing the "you have a great idea - now look what else I can do with it" stereotypical ENTP flaw thing?

Sorry!!!!

No, back to your list Athenian - I think Ne can do paradigm shift pretty good too...

And as well as what you said, Si could have something like extra scouting abilities, like say they're with a small scouting party that goes to case a joint, they can remember everything they saw without having to write it down or make a map or anything?
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Sense motive -- Can correctly determine a person's intentions 70% of the time. When it fails, the person will become deluded and confused (and yet totally convinced of themselves) regarding the person's motives.

Zoom out -- Allows you to view a situation in a more removed/abstracted way, in terms of how it is related to other theoretical situations. Can clarify strategy, but obscure important details of the specific situation.

Paradigm shift -- Look at the same situation in a new way, approach it from a different angle.

Ne abilities:

Distract -- Confuses enemies by focusing attention away from the topic at hand.
    Interesting...I singled out some of the ones I tend to use for an RPG character.

I've also used hyper recall quite a bit..what capacities would be associated with Ti, etc.

And as far as the D & D alignment goes-chaotic neutral, though I'm currently trying out a lawful neutral.
    We are not poets
    We have no right to make amendments

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Si - can notice if someone wears their shirt backwards
    Ti - can notice if someone wears their brains backwards

MBTI
    ENTJ

Te: Lawful Good

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    I'm a great believer in the D&D alignment system as a great predictor for human behaviour. I'm surprised it hasn't received more attention outside of RPG circles.
    I have seen a few games that do a bit like this, though only Age of Wonders has used a full blown "evil vs. good" in it.

Edit: As for abilities:

Ti
    Object manipulation: Gives improved abilities with other non person related abilities

Utilitarian approach: Objects with purely functional purposes are easier to aquire

Te
    Commanding ability: Adds to leadership abilities, increasing the chance that people will follow the character's directions.

Organization: Character spend much less time in switching between abilities and objects when a switch occurs.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Te: Lawful Good
    Lawful, yes. Good? Not necessarily.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Thanks, substitute.

I'm not sure what abilities to associate with Ti and such... but I'll try.

Te abilities:

Impose order -- Organizes all resources efficiently towards a particular goal/situation. Reduces flexibility if the goal or procedure changes, and costs a certain amount of energy/focus.

Assessment -- Looks at a situation strategically, and chooses the best course of action towards a known goal.

Review data -- Takes everything learned over a certain period of time, and formulates the most logical conclusion possible based on it.

Fe abilities:

Call allies -- Calls allies to help in battle.

Diplomacy -- Can negotiate and compromise to avoid conflict.

Denouncement/Persuasion -- Reduces target's charisma when successful, possibly motivating their allies to switch sides. If it fails, it may have the opposite effect.

Ti abilities:

Rapid research -- Can do approximately 2 days worth of research in 3 hours or less, depending on subject.

Reverse engineer -- Determines how and why a particular things works, and how to disable, or copy it in some cases. Analyzes a system to find out what laws/rules govern it's operation.

Critical thinking -- Can locate inconsistencies and fallacies in opponent's reasoning based on pure logic, often without needing tangible evidence.

Fi abilities:

Detect will -- Determines person's feelings towards a specific thing, particularly oneself. Different from Sense motive in that it isn't specific in terms of what is detected, but only gives their emotional motivation for doing it.

Pathetic look -- Makes all non-Evil enemies hesitate to attack. Reduces enemies speed when successful.

Resolute values -- Increases defense, attack, and charisma, but reduces wisdom and intelligence.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Lawful, yes. Good? Not necessarily.
    No, not necessarily - but likely when Te is in dominant position. For example, the typical lawful good characters in RPG's, Paladins, are clear-cut ExTJ and dominant Te. They have the most charisma and are often leaders. They value order above all. They act based on principles.

Te abilities:

Give direction - Establishes strategically the best way for all party members to behave and the roles they must have in order to attain a goal. Makes efficient use of all available resources and reduces usage of mana, food and gold by 30%. Downside: causes negative attitude in IxTx characters towards the player that increases the probability of backstabbing you (X3 damage + x2 if thief).

Critical Thinking - Enables the player to distinguish true from false in characters' speeches by assessing the logic of their reasoning and if their conclusions can be validated by real world evidence. Downside: causes negative attitude in xxFx characters towards the player that increases the probability by .01% of party gossip (-2 to leader Charisma + -.5 fo each ExFx party member).

Final Judgment - Enables the player to make the best decision considering the amount of information at his disposal. This can be used for any decision at any time that does not involve feelings. It can assess if other characters are Chaotic, Neutral or Lawful in aligment. When the player has an ISFJ party member that is favorably disposed towards him, the combined powers of the ISFJ and Te work as a Detect Evil ability. Downside: causes Lore to diminish by .05% percent for each use and makes it more difficult to identify objects.