User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    You're going to be bothered when you find out there'll be many half pieces of chocolate left beside the boxes and all the good ones were all eaten by me.
    Man, way to live on the fucking edge. Adventurous INTJ ftw!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    I know someone who would go apeshit on that comment.
    The quote is a simile.

Trying to make similes or metaphors "100% accurate" is defeating the beauty of literary devices.
    They aren't meant to be scrutinized like your platelet count.

You are missing the forest for the trees.
    You are right. Yes, sometimes I can come off as an annoying prick who wants everything to be 100% accurate. So my derails and useless arguments may never prevail. But still, the quote sort has sort of been something that whenever I come back to I just wonder about it. Then one day when it happened to wonder into my consciousness during my time on the net, this thread happens. And some similes may not always be understood by me so I keep questioning.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    Man, way to live on the fucking edge. Adventurous INTJ ftw!
    Haha. But I guess I'd never be as adventurous as you ENTPs.

Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    Geeze, beauty is lost on you NTJs.
    Let me guess tesla, your ENTP speciality is proctology.

MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w6

Well the quote does make sense, life is like an assorted box of chocolates which have no label. You cannot tell what type the chocolate is going to be (well with some exceptions) until you have seen the inside of it.

Yes it is possible to cut the chocolate and see what is inside, this is like planning your life you can plan your life based on your experiences and beliefs - for example if you don't like Mint Chocolate once you cut it and see that particular Chocolate you will generally avoid it and other similar shaped Chocolates because you know it will be Mint. Similarly this is like making decisions based on your experience - once you know something is bad it is unlikely you will do that same decision again.

But what happens when you cut up and see a flavour you've never seen before? The logical thing to do would be to try that particular chocolate and determine whether or not you like it. This is similar to making a decision you've never made before and have no experience with.

Now there are those exceptions, some chocolates you obviously know what they are, like Dark Chocolate and White Chocolate. You do not need to taste these to determine what they are - they are visible to the eye and you can make a judgement weather the chocolate is once you would or wouldn't like but still need to taste to be absolutely sure. This is like Drugs and Alcohol and stuff, some things you believe to be bad/good but aren't 100% sure.
    INTp (MBTI)
    LII (Socionics) but typed as ILI as well
    5 wing 6
    Ti > Ni > Si > Ne > Te > Fi > Se > Fe

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

You are right. Yes, sometimes I can come off as an annoying prick who wants everything to be 100% accurate. So my derails and useless arguments may never prevail. But still, the quote sort has sort of been something that whenever I come back to I just wonder about it. Then one day when it happened to wonder into my consciousness during my time on the net, this thread happens. And some similes may not always be understood by me so I keep questioning.
    It's not supposed to be accurate. It's supposed to relate a concept that people all understand intuitively - "life is ultimately unpredictable", using images that people can tangibly grasp - a box of unmarked flavored chocolates.

The profundity doesn't come from its incisive accuracy. Instead, it comes from making a very abstract concept fairly concrete, and coming from someone who is supposed to be dull and uneducated.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Dooraven View Post
    Well the quote does make sense, life is like an assorted box of chocolates which have no label. You cannot tell what type the chocolate is going to be (well with some exceptions) until you have seen the inside of it.

Yes it is possible to cut the chocolate and see what is inside, this is like planning your life you can plan your life based on your experiences and beliefs - for example if you don't like Mint Chocolate once you cut it and see that particular Chocolate you will generally avoid it and other similar shaped Chocolates because you know it will be Mint. Similarly this is like making decisions based on your experience - once you know something is bad it is unlikely you will do that same decision again.

But what happens when you cut up and see a flavour you've never seen before? The logical thing to do would be to try that particular chocolate and determine whether or not you like it. This is similar to making a decision you've never made before and have no experience with.

Now there are those exceptions, some chocolates you obviously know what they are, like Dark Chocolate and White Chocolate. You do not need to taste these to determine what they are - they are visible to the eye and you can make a judgement weather the chocolate is once you would or wouldn't like but still need to taste to be absolutely sure. This is like Drugs and Alcohol and stuff, some things you believe to be bad/good but aren't 100% sure.
    Aaah but then the part "you never know what you're going to get" would be wrong. I see the mint in the chocolate therefore I know what I'm going to get. I'm going to get mint with chocolate if I eat it. So therefore it would be more like "life is like a box of chocolates" full stop.

Look at me arguing pointless arguments and being silly.

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

Well yes, but as I said before, you can tell what the chocolate would be like by chopping it in half. (Yes, I will use this argument to no end)
    Isn't that like having your cake, and eating it too?

If you never know what you are going to get, how do even you know its chocolate?...

The quote would make sense if you knew the box of chocolates was never the same, and whatever chocolate inside was a random flavour every time you opened it... But the analogy seems to fail because most people would understand that there is indeed chocolate in the box, and the chocolate is the main focus, regardless of flavour... So, you do know what you will get!
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    It's not supposed to be accurate. It's supposed to relate a concept that people all understand intuitively - "life is ultimately unpredictable", using images that people can tangibly grasp - a box of unmarked flavored chocolates.

The profundity doesn't come from its incisive accuracy. Instead, it comes from making a very abstract concept fairly concrete, and coming from someone who is supposed to be dull and uneducated.
    I like this quote better "life is like the 'select random player' in a fighting game. You never now what your going to get." It makes more sense when it comes to "life is ultimately unpredictable". But yes you're right.
    Yep, I'm starting to get silly.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Prototype View Post
    Isn't that like having your cake, and eating it too?

If you never know what you are going to get, how do even you know its chocolate?...

The quote would make sense if you knew the box of chocolates was never the same, and whatever chocolate inside was a random flavour every time you opened it... But the analogy seems to fail because most people would understand that there is indeed chocolate in the box, and the chocolate is the main focus, regardless of flavour... So, you do know what you will get!
    Absolutely! Someone who understands my point!