User Tag List

123 Last

Default Emotional Cruelty to the Mentally Ill

I've just been reading a thread that seems to have been cut off.

But what struck me was the emotional cruelty that was being openly shown to someone who is mentally ill.

It is important to say that there was one person who showed some kindness.

But I think it is a wake up sign to see so many emotionally cruel to a person with a mental illness.

A person with a mental illness is emotionally vulnerable. So to be emotionally cruel to a mentally ill person is a very low act.

But with very few exceptions such low acts are normal here.

Why is that?

MBTI
    ENTP

Victor I don't know which thread you are talking about, but perhaps it not how it appears to be.

I don't know what you mean by cut off, but I'm sure if the Mods closed something down it was because it was causing conflict or getting innapropraite.

What may be patently obvious to you that someone is mentally ill may not be to others who have less life experience/or don't know the person. So have a think about IF something was done with intention or it was just youth/lack of knoweldge on the posters part.

Maybe you ought to PM the person who you beleive to be mental ill and offer support?

L

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    Maybe you ought to PM the person who you beleive to be mental ill and offer support?
    Of course, this is the first thing I did.

But this was group bullying of a vulnerable person. It was like something you would expect in a medieval village where they they have no understanding of mental illness.

It was like something you would expect in a medieval village where they consult astrologers.

It was mob psychology.

But the question is why.

We have had group bullying here before. Do superstitions like MBTI and astrology contribute to group bullying? Or perhaps group bullying is a normal part of woman's culture.

It was as though the Enlightenment had never occurred and here we were back in a superstitious medieval village where we were punishing someone for being mentally ill.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    We have had group bullying here before. Do superstitions like MBTI and astrology contribute to group bullying?
    Ahhh, it all makes sense now. Any Classic Victor thread touches on two things:

1. Victor the victim of the mob
    2. Dismissal of MBTI
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Shortly after I got out of high school I got on a jobs program where our dorms were at an old mental hospital. I did some research into the place and there were some very cruel experiments on the mentally ill. I am also reading a book now that not specifically about harassing the mentally ill but it includes a lot of stories of some fucked up stuff they did on them Amazon.com: Elephants on Acid: And Other Bizarre Experiments (Harvest Original) (9780156031356): Alex Boese: Books.

I know I am getting off point and I am impressed how resilient Victor is to criticism...but if someone has some mental and emotional issues (or you sense it) good form to give them a pass, allow them to save some face or not to 'debate' them into the ground. The reason is because the harshness factor is likely upped 5x to 100x in their mind. Do unto others and all that stuff...

PS. If youíre a verified mental case and you need some backup PM me when it happens and I will see what I can do.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Ahhh, it all makes sense now. Any Classic Victor thread touches on two things:

1. Victor the victim of the mob
    2. Dismissal of MBTI
    And always blame the victim.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

There can be posts that suggest mental illness, but there are also many pranksters online. There are few (if any) online here who are qualified to diagnose someone with a mental illness. Assuming people are being cruel and/or mentally ill can be an inaccurate perception. It is better to be safe than sorry by assuming all possibilities, but that includes the possibility that it isn't a worst case scenario on both ends of the communication.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

This specific thread either had someone intentionally and consistently trying to be a paranoid schizophrenic, or we had a genuine paranoid schizophrenic.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    Shortly after I got out of high school I got on a jobs program where our dorms were at an old mental hospital. I did some research into the place and there were some very cruel experiments on the mentally ill. I am also reading a book now that not specifically about harassing the mentally ill but it includes a lot of stories of some fucked up stuff they did on them Amazon.com: Elephants on Acid: And Other Bizarre Experiments (Harvest Original) (9780156031356): Alex Boese: Books.

I know I am getting off point and I am impressed how resilient Victor is to criticism...but if someone has some mental and emotional issues (or you sense it) good form to give them a pass, allow them to save some face or not to 'debate' them into the ground. The reason is because the harshness factor is likely upped 5x to 100x in their mind. Do unto others and all that stuff...

PS. If youíre a verified mental case and you need some backup PM me when it happens and I will see what I can do.
    I happen to know the victim in this case very well as I have had close contact with them for the past six and a half years.

So for me this is personal.

And as you say, it is fortunate I am resilient in the face of criticism. And even more fortunately I have a visceral response to group bullying based on superstition.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

People who have an official mental illness or mental retardation get all the respect in the world these days. It's the people who are moderately ill or retarded, with no diagnosis to deflect the world, who are treated worse.

If your IQ is below 70, you will be treated with kids gloves for the rest of your life. If it's 85.... "Who the fuck is this idiot?!"