User Tag List

First 678

Quote Originally Posted by ayoitsStepho View Post
    May I ask how we know the poster was mentally ill?
    Are assumptions being made, or is this something that people actually know about?

Assumptions, point blank.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Hirsch63 View Post
    Censure
    1 : a judgment involving condemnation

censor
    1 : a person who supervises conduct and morals...who examines materials (as publications or films) for objectionable matter...who reads communications (as letters) and deletes material considered sensitive or harmful

I wrote of the former, not the latter...though I suppose both are applicable. It is dificult to tell, given my inability to read carefully.
    Firstly: I had always (erroneously) presumed that censure and censor were European v. American spellings of the same word, my apologies for misinterpreting what you meant there.

Secondly: if you want to be Teh Winnarz with your sarcastic posts (see bold) when I've explicitly and repeatedly said that I'm willing to address the issue respectfully, you can have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Respect is earned.
    I do want to clarify something since I was indeed in that thread:
    Magic Sponge said, "There is nothing more depressing than watching mental illness."

He could have written something other than "mental illness," but what I am fairly certain of is what I put in bold letters.
    You did not quote him correctly. And by not doing so, it allows you to paint an unfair picture and twist the outcome to serve your purpose.
    By saying "There is nothing more depressing," is what led Marmalade to speak up.
    She was right in doing so, in my opinion.
    Indeed, the rape or murder of a child or watching someone die in relentless pain is far more depressing than reading this post:

"Mark is that you?"

The above, is a direct quote from the alleged "victim" of Friday night's thread.

Did it ever occur to you at the ripe "old" age of 23 that some of us have seen human suffering the likes of which you may never see?
    You are a but a child yourself, kiddo.

The human suffering Marmalade listed in her post exceeds anything that happened in that thread.
    For you and Victor to somehow twist her post into something it wasn't, lacks integrity.
    There was no lynch mob in that Friday Night thread. But there is a lynch mob in this thread.

Stop spinning the events to fuel the flames of a fire that was never burning to begin with.
    Thank you for addressing the issues at hand, Jag.

I went looking for the thread to perfectly accurately represent what happened; it was gone. I re-represented it based off my memory--which has no "spin," only my own interpretation of events--the same as you. I could say the same thing about your choice to represent the extent of the mental illness as something as simple as the "Mark, is that you?" comment--which similarly "twists" the thread.

I don't think either of us are intentionally misrepresenting it. I think both of us read it differently. I hold to the position that given we addressed it was a mental health issue, people could have been more respectful toward the OP who was probably in a scary place at that exact moment in time.

This is exactly my point, though--instead of ad hominems, why couldn't we have addressed this earlier? You're similarly derogating me when you challenge my age:

Regarding the "some of us have seen human suffering":
    I regularly watch a close relative with serious mental health issues (and the abuse to my loved ones that comes with it--this includes children), I've been front-lines witness to extreme poverty and malnutrition, I have close friends who were raped both as children and teens, I've tried to help piece together lives of children who watched their parents die of AIDS (but not before infecting their kids with HIV), my 16yo cousin was slain by an angry teen at a hockey team house party, I watched my other same-age cousin slowly and extremely painfully die from illness... among other serious stuff I'm uncomfortable sharing online. Calling me a child is hardly respectful or accurate. It's a misdirection away from the issues at hand, a device that functions to afford your perspective more authority. Regardless of the fact that there were more sad things people could think of than mental health, the OP in that thread could have been treated with more respect--the objective of my posts in this thread. I hear your claims about not needing a discussion--I simply disagree. You could have walked away from this thread if you didn't want to engage in that discussion. You didn't.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

Quote Originally Posted by ayoitsStepho View Post
    May I ask how we know the poster was mentally ill?
    Are assumptions being made, or is this something that people actually know about?
    We now know because the OP disclosed the fact to the forum at large. Otherwise how would we know? How it is that others (not in the know regarding the unfortunate condition of the OP's subject) are tasked with being able to identify a sufferer through the writings on a flat screen? If curious and non-sensical posts are the automatic criteria for potential mental illness we may be very busy diagnosing.

From what I have read after some time, the posters in the thread realized something was wrong. The idea that these posters could then be accused of deliberate emotional cruelty seems curious to me. If we do not have the same level of experience and interaction with the mentally challenged that The OP and Usehername have indicated they have, how are we differentiate 'twixt a joke and an episode?

Assumptions, point blank.
    The only topic suggested for our discussion was at the end of the OP:

So to be emotionally cruel to a mentally ill person is a very low act.

But with very few exceptions such low acts are normal here.

Why is that?

It seems clear that this thread was concieved to answer this question "why is that?" with the premise that the forum as a whole, normally behaves in a emotionally cruel manner. To answer the question you must accept the premise that we are regular participants in deliberate emotional abuse. I find that a remarkable blanket assertion.
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yeah, I mean, who says this is an emotionally cruel environment? Apparently some of you people have not heard of black comedy.

And I'm an NF - so my word on what is actually "emotional cruelty" is final.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Yeah, I mean, who says this is an emotionally cruel environment? Apparently some of you people have not heard of black comedy.

And I'm an NF - so my word on what is actually "emotional cruelty" is final.
    Marma, I don't think anyone was being cruel in the thread. And even our OP Victor doesn't think people were intentionally hurtful: "Yes, I do think the emotional cruelty is unintentional - but that only makes it worse. It is unintentional because it is taken for granted. And it is unintentional because everybody else is doing it."

I hear what you're saying here, and like I said earlier, I mostly agree with your position:
    This person wasn't reaching out to us or asking for our help. If anything, people were reacting in their usual manner to a thread that is not personally directed toward any one person. For all we know, the person was so out of touch that they didn't understand what was being said, anyhow. I would say that if people were sending PMs or reps to this person taunting them, that would be something else entirely.
    IMO the issue was that the thread members unintentionally objectified the OPer and had a whole lighthearted discussion about mentally ill people. No one addressed the real, human OP who was still there for a while, still in a psychotic episode, who IMO, like any other real human, was deserving of a "hey, you don't seem okay."

If your sister was the OP, would you feel comfortable with people engaging in the mental health comments that came after without anyone checking in with her? (Genuine question--perhaps the answer is yes.)
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    ]I could say the same thing about your choice to represent the extent of the mental illness as something as simple as the "Mark, is that you?" comment--which similarly "twists" the thread.
    It doesn't twist anything. Mine was a direct quote. Yours was not.
    You left out the single most important word in Magic's post: "Nothing."
    To claim there is "Nothing" more depressing than mental illness is absurd.

You recklessly chose to paint a picture of your own making.
    The truth is many people had no idea who that poster was.
    Moreover, they had no idea if it was real or an act.
    To condemn people for "sins" they did not commit is reckless.

You're similarly derogating me when you challenge my age:
    Challenge? Do you dramatize everything in your life like this?
    You are 23. It's a fact. You are choosing to feel "derogated."
    No one is doing anything to you.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

It doesn't twist anything. Mine was a direct quote. Yours was not.
    You left out the single most important word in Magic's post: "Nothing."
    To claim there is "Nothing" more depressing than mental illness is absurd.

You recklessly chose to paint a picture of your own making.
    The truth is many people had no idea who that poster was.
    Moreover, they had no idea if it was real or an act.
    To condemn people for "sins" they did not commit is reckless.

Challenge? Do you dramatize everything in your life like this?
    You are 23. It's a fact. You are choosing to feel "derogated."
    No one is doing anything to you.
    Jag, if you go back between our exchanges you will find that my posts are respectful and yours are not. I explicitly and repeatedly said that no one had ill intent--the worst adjective I used was "careless." To claim that I am "reckless" and "dramatic" is an overstatement that only serves to illustrate your feelings rather than the task at hand. I never constructed the situation as anything close to sinful, I said that it was "careless" toward the OP in a psychotic moment and perhaps it's worth a discussion. That's it. You repeatedly project your feelings onto me, Jaguar. Calm down.

Feel free to pull in Magic Sponge in here to state his POV of the thread and what he meant. You always construct your story as Truth. I'm not so confident that anyone, even Jag, sees Almighty Truth. We all have interpretations--hence my desire to dialogue about it.
    C.S. Lewis

Jag, if you go back between our exchanges you will find that my posts are respectful and yours are not.
    Grow up, little one.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

(3) People commented about mental issues, Magic Sponge said this is super depressing to watch and basically bowed out of the thread after people were like "geez i can think of 100 more depressing things" because he said it wasn't a matter to take so lightheartedly
    Not really. I said it was a matter of opinion not worth attempting an argument over, more a less.

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Actually, I didn't interpret Magic Porifeans statement that way at all. I thought he was insulting mentally ill people by saying that there was nothing more depressing than talking to someone who was psychotic. In fact, that's what he said. He didn't say that what was going on was wrong, he said that it depressed him to talk to mentally ill people. My intent was to point out that there are far worse things in the world, seeing as that I deal with mental illness all of the time with my sister being schizoaffective and myself suffering from depression and anxiety.
    Listen, sister, that is not what I said. I said, roughly, that it was depressing to witness mental illness. As someone with personal experience with mental illness, do you disagree? Is it all gumdrops and daisies, per chance? I have experience with mental illness too, and I don't think it is. And while I see how my statement might seem critical, I am sympathetic toward the mentall ill. Their lives are depressing in many ways. It was not a statement to make fun of them, it was sort of an off-hand reflection. My biggest mistake was to say something that had so little greater purpose.

Respect is earned.
    I do want to clarify something since I was indeed in that thread:
    Magic Sponge said, "There is nothing more depressing than watching mental illness."

He could have written something other than "mental illness," but what I am fairly certain of is what I put in bold letters.
    You did not quote him correctly. And by not doing so, it allows you to paint an unfair picture and twist the outcome to serve your purpose.
    By saying "There is nothing more depressing," is what led Marmalade to speak up.
    Funny, you don't have an actual quote of me, either. I believe that is because all of the content of that thread was deleted.

I often do not trust my memory, so I always consider I may be wrong, but I believe I said something to the effect of "few things are more depressing to watch than mental illness". Notice the statement is less superlative than saying "nothing" and also consider the difference between the act of watching something being depressing, and something being depressing to watch. What you quoted me as saying does not sound like something I'd say.

But anyhow, Marmalade then said there was a lot worse.

I said we had a difference of opinion.

Marmalade listed several things, most of which concerned violence and death.

I said that I considered much of what she listed under one category (which was to imply that the numbers are reduced by that) but I further stated that I didn't care enough to continue, and had already tried to get that across but leaving my statement as a difference of opinion.

Unfortunately, we will probably never see definitive proof.
    Go to sleep, iguana.