User Tag List

First 5678 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 79

  1. #61
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hirsch63 View Post
    "....Therefore I have a problem with your reply here, because you're unintentionally misdirecting an important and reasonable conversation--you're adding tone and eye-rolling to a strawman you created by not reading carefully and by not being in the first thread. And then you're taking responsibility for explaining to others what's going on when you aren't reading carefully and you weren't in the first thread."

    I take it that the privliges extended to myself in this forum continue to exist despite your attempted censure. I assume that I am just as free to interpret the OP's posts as you or any other forum member is? I know where the eye rolling emoticon is, and how to use it if I choose. An inability to endure mild sarcasm and honest disbelief in the course of an exchange may prove frustrating for you, if the need to correct the errant and offensive provokes you to admonish the less gifted with your interpretations of their words. The OP's statements are there to be read and interpreted freely I expect? Perhaps the Mods should link this thread directly to the original in question so that innocent forum members(are there any, really?) won't run the risk of being misled by those like myself who have the temerity to offer input despite deficient literacy and imperfect knowledge. Can you ever forgive me?

    Your posts are relevant and you have every right to post in this thread.

    And since I was there in the thread last night, I absolve you of all sins you have been accused of.
    I'd sprinkle holy water on you, but someone in this thread is hoarding it.
    Perhaps I can pry it from her hands.

  2. #62
    On a mission Usehername's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    So I could walk the city streets and tell every person who is having a discussion they are achieving a goal?

    I don't think so.
    Poor analogy. Victor started a thread, you asked me what my goal was, I said it was to engage discussion with the two topics Victor brought up.


    Quote Originally Posted by Hirsch63 View Post
    "....Therefore I have a problem with your reply here, because you're unintentionally misdirecting an important and reasonable conversation--you're adding tone and eye-rolling to a strawman you created by not reading carefully and by not being in the first thread. And then you're taking responsibility for explaining to others what's going on when you aren't reading carefully and you weren't in the first thread."

    I take it that the privliges extended to myself in this forum continue to exist despite your attempted censure. I assume that I am just as free to interpret the OP's posts as you or any other forum member is? I know where the eye rolling emoticon is, and how to use it if I choose. An inability to endure mild sarcasm and honest disbelief in the course of an exchange may prove frustrating for you, if the need to correct the errant and offensive provokes you to admonish the less gifted with your interpretations of their words. The OP's statements are there to be read and interpreted freely I expect? Perhaps the Mods should link this thread directly to the original in question so that innocent forum members(are there any, really?) won't run the risk of being misled by those like myself who have the temerity to offer input despite deficient literacy and imperfect knowledge. Can you ever forgive me?
    Where did I attempt to censor your voice? Again, I took issue with your sarcasm.

    Hirsch, my beef is not with you as a person. My beef is with how you're engaging in the discussion--your tone engenders conflict rather than dialogue. The only time I claimed greater knowledge was when we clarified I definitely was present for the topic at hand and you were not. Your ad hominems claiming I'm reifying myself are unfounded; please stop. I'm not derogating you, I'm taking issue with your sarcastic tone because it bifurcates the discussion and directs posters away from a dialogue about human decency and respectful interaction (which I think has merit regardless of the circumstances from which it arose).
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

  3. #63
    Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    2,808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I've just been reading a thread that seems to have been cut off.

    But what struck me was the emotional cruelty that was being openly shown to someone who is mentally ill.

    It is important to say that there was one person who showed some kindness.

    But I think it is a wake up sign to see so many emotionally cruel to a person with a mental illness.

    A person with a mental illness is emotionally vulnerable. So to be emotionally cruel to a mentally ill person is a very low act.

    But with very few exceptions such low acts are normal here.

    Why is that?
    Not sure what thread you're referring to, but it sounds unfortunate. At the same time, I agree that we can't expect any diverse group of strangers to know what's going on in the mind of any one unknown individual.

    To note, you're assuming that everyone else had a clear mental state when they were responding to your friend, which is an assumption that could be very incorrect. The potential exist that you're passing judgment in this OP on another person/s who is/are, unbeknownst to you, mentally ill. Of course, you'd be doing it unknowingly, which does not make your OP cruel, imo. The fact is that we're all fairly ignorant of each other and should try and be considerate of that fact, if we care about considerations.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

  4. #64
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Victor started a thread, you asked me what my goal was, I said it was to engage discussion with the two topics Victor brought up.
    If you can't answer a direct question, don't waste my time.
    Having a discussion is not a goal.
    What are you trying to achieve by having this discussion?

    I see nothing being accomplished.

  5. #65
    Senior Member tinkerbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,487

    Default

    sorry Victor, I hadn't realised you were just having a troll. I wont be so stupid as to be concerned the next time your looking for support just so you can turn on people. i honestly don't know why your here if you don't get the mbti thing. as for asrology, only of use to the open mind so defo not for everyone

  6. #66
    On a mission Usehername's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    If you can't answer a direct question, don't waste my time.
    Having a discussion is not a goal.
    What are you trying to achieve by having this discussion?

    I see nothing being accomplished.
    Jag, you did ask a direct question, and I did give you direct answer to that question. I wasn't ducking it--if you take a deep breath and go back, reading with your feelings in check, you'll see this.

    If you had asked, "what are you trying to accomplish with this goal?" I would have said, as I've stated before:

    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    a dialogue about human decency and respectful interaction (which I think has merit regardless of the circumstances from which it arose).
    Jag, I'm treating you respectfully, I'd appreciate you choosing to do the same. Your feelings toward me consistently cloud your ability to have a respectful discussion with me. I don't think we have much of a relationship to lose if you want to direct your energy elsewhere.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

  7. #67
    Senior Member Hirsch63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj
    Posts
    525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    I'm taking issue with your sarcastic tone because it bifurcates the discussion and directs posters away from a dialogue about human decency and respectful interaction (which I think has merit regardless of the circumstances from which it arose).
    I suppose I should be flattered that my brief aside to Elaur regarding this thread could have generated so much concern on another's part. I had no idea my comments carried such distractive or destructive potency. It is as if Elaur walked up to a heated discussion in a public square and asked "what did I miss?" and I, having arrived shortly before and without benefit of a backstory could only interpret what I had heard of the discussion up to that point.
    And then inexplicably one of the principles of the discussion turns to the sidelines to single myself out for distracting and derailing the process? I find this a curious notion of respectful interaction if not an a remarkable regard for one's own authority within another's thread.

    Very well then, to the point:

    Let us imagine that I am a patron of a certain social club. It is an organization the basis of which I am firmly opposed to, yet I cannot (for whatever reason) stop participating in. Not only do I abhor the philosophical principles which underlie this society, I have futher found that there is an gratuitous atmosphere of bullying there which discomforts myself and I am sure, others in attendance. I continue to participate frequently despite these disincentives making sure to express my concerns to the group....so they know my mind regarding the pernicious atmosphere they create.

    Let us further suppose I have a dear friend of long accquaintence who I know suffers from some significant social challenges. I find this friend at the club I frequent (how did the friend get there? Did I invite them along?) what is my responsibility as a friend in long standing? Do I dissuade my companion from interaction? I know this club is a source of incivility and threatening behaviour...yet here is my dear friend, exposed to the vagaries of forum dynamics with participants some of which are no better than a mindless mob bent on cruelty? Am I resposible to protect my friend or are they a free agent? Alas, the worst happens; my beliefs are yet again confirmed and my friend is the victim not only of their own disorder but the brutal social machinations of a group I knew was capable of such.

    What is my responsibility as a friend?
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

  8. #68
    Senior Member Hirsch63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj
    Posts
    525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Where did I attempt to censor your voice? Again, I took issue with your sarcasm.
    Censure
    1 : a judgment involving condemnation

    censor
    1 : a person who supervises conduct and morals...who examines materials (as publications or films) for objectionable matter...who reads communications (as letters) and deletes material considered sensitive or harmful

    I wrote of the former, not the latter...though I suppose both are applicable. It is dificult to tell, given my inability to read carefully.
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

  9. #69
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post

    Jag, I'm treating you respectfully, I'd appreciate you choosing to do the same. Your feelings toward me consistently cloud your ability to have a respectful discussion with me. I don't think we have much of a relationship to lose if you want to direct your energy elsewhere.
    Respect is earned.
    I do want to clarify something since I was indeed in that thread:
    Magic Sponge said, "There is nothing more depressing than watching mental illness."

    He could have written something other than "mental illness," but what I am fairly certain of is what I put in bold letters.
    You did not quote him correctly. And by not doing so, it allows you to paint an unfair picture and twist the outcome to serve your purpose.
    By saying "There is nothing more depressing," is what led Marmalade to speak up.
    She was right in doing so, in my opinion.
    Indeed, the rape or murder of a child or watching someone die in relentless pain is far more depressing than reading this post:

    "Mark is that you?"

    The above, is a direct quote from the alleged "victim" of Friday night's thread.

    Did it ever occur to you at the ripe "old" age of 23 that some of us have seen human suffering the likes of which you may never see?
    You are a but a child yourself, kiddo.

    The human suffering Marmalade listed in her post exceeds anything that happened in that thread.
    For you and Victor to somehow twist her post into something it wasn't, lacks integrity.
    There was no lynch mob in that Friday Night thread. But there is a lynch mob in this thread.

    Stop spinning the events to fuel the flames of a fire that was never burning to begin with.

  10. #70
    Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx
    Posts
    4,836

    Default

    May I ask how we know the poster was mentally ill?
    Are assumptions being made, or is this something that people actually know about?
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-08-2014, 06:58 PM
  2. Mentally and emotionally about to explode. Disorder? Type?
    By phobosdiemos in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-27-2009, 08:00 AM
  3. [INTJ] Un-Emotional to the point of ignoring reactive instinct?
    By Misty_Mountain_Rose in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-09-2008, 09:47 AM
  4. In China, Brain Surgery is Pushed on the Mentally Ill
    By heart in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-22-2008, 12:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO