User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 79

  1. #41
    Charting a course
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Cliffnotes version:

    (1) OP starts a thread that leaves mentally healthy readers with two options: decide if the OP is a paranoid schizophrenic having a psychotic episode, or decide if the OP is pretending to be a paranoid schizophrenic having a psychotic episode.

    (2) The first person who replied left a single emoticon performing the spin around their ear symbolizing "crazy" (which I read to be a "is this for realz?" comment rather than ill intent)

    (3) People commented about mental issues, Magic Sponge said this is super depressing to watch and basically bowed out of the thread after people were like "geez i can think of 100 more depressing things" because he said it wasn't a matter to take so lightheartedly

    (4) OP made another comment still clearly in the same mental state, and thread members basically used OPs mental health as funny fodder for issues on the topic but did so in a way that, IMO, was disrespectful (which I don't believe they had ill intent, but I do believe they limboed under the bar of treating a fellow human with basic human decency)
    I was the first person.

    And I figured since the forum has hosted so many threads begging for attention in the last 7 days. That it was just another, more creative, and bizarre, attention thread.

    And after a few more posts the person made, in their own thread, and in other people's. I made comment to the effect that I believed the person was suffering from a psychotic break.

    And if I remember correctly, I stopped posting because it was getting out of hand.

  2. #42
    On a mission Usehername's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hirsch63 View Post
    I did not post in whatever thread was originally cited. I am responding to this thread, where it is implied that as forum members we sould morally be able to diagnose the mental conditions of people we have never met and cannot see...Are you prepared to take responsibility for knowing how each of us functions? If so fine, go to it. If there was in fact a clear cut case of members deliberately attacking a poster who was identifiable as mentally ill (or just upset) is that not grounds for banninig? I tried to locate this thread but could not find it (that's just as well it sounds unpleasant). I'm not on any "pedestal" I have not accused other members of neglect...I took the explicit statements in this thread and followed them to their logical conclusion in response to Elaur....
    What you seem to be missing (which is why I asked if you were there) is that (a) there very few people the board when it happened, and (b) for the very few people who were there, there was full-blown consensus that this was a mentally unhealthy person, i.e., yes I'm prepared to take responsibility for knowing how each of those people in the thread understood the situation, because I saw them drop terms like "schizophrenic" and "schizoaffective disorder" to refer to the OP, or I saw them reply with derogating terms after one of the respondents used those terms in the small conversation.

    The behaviour that came after that consensus is the issue at stake.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

  3. #43
    Senior Member Hirsch63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj
    Posts
    525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    What you seem to be missing (which is why I asked if you were there)
    I respect your right to discuss as much as you like the moral questions raised by that thread which as I pointed out I am not directly familiar with. Again I am responding to what I have read in this thread where it is clearly implied that we all as forum members should somehow be able to identify any posting by a mentally ill person as such and....then what? Certainly not knowingly mistreat them as was implied by the OP in this thread. I have difficulty understanding how forum members with varying degrees of maturity and experience could be tasked with this responsibility and accused of deliberate cruelty. A forum member who has just posted and seems like a reasonable person admitted his mistake when he became aware of the situation. I have not found Biax in any of his posts (that I have read)to be a deliberately cruel person...as far as I can with my limited knowledge of him judge. Perhaps you and the OP are better suited to indentify our weaknesses, weather vanity or cruelty...It is comforting that the forum has a moral compass.
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

  4. #44
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Well, while I personally participated in the thread, I assuredly would not have done so had it occurred to me that I was actually tormenting this person.

  5. #45
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Cliffnotes version:


    (3) People commented about mental issues, Magic Sponge said this is super depressing to watch and basically bowed out of the thread after people were like "geez i can think of 100 more depressing things" because he said it wasn't a matter to take so lightheartedly
    Actually, I didn't interpret Magic Porifeans statement that way at all. I thought he was insulting mentally ill people by saying that there was nothing more depressing than talking to someone who was psychotic. In fact, that's what he said. He didn't say that what was going on was wrong, he said that it depressed him to talk to mentally ill people. My intent was to point out that there are far worse things in the world, seeing as that I deal with mental illness all of the time with my sister being schizoaffective and myself suffering from depression and anxiety.

  6. #46
    On a mission Usehername's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hirsch63 View Post
    I respect your right to discuss as much as you like the moral questions raised by that thread which as I pointed out I am not directly familiar with. Again I am responding to what I have read in this thread where it is clearly implied that we all as forum members should somehow be able to identify any posting by a mentally ill person as such and....then what? Certainly not knowingly mistreat them as was implied by the OP in this thread. I have difficulty understanding how forum members with varying degrees of maturity and experience could be tasked with this responsibility and accused of deliberate cruelty. A forum member who has just posted and seems like a reasonable person admitted his mistake when he became aware of the situation. I have not found Biax in any of his posts (that I have read)to be a deliberately cruel person...as far as I can with my limited knowledge of him judge. Perhaps you and the OP are better suited to indentify our weaknesses, weather vanity or cruelty...It is comforting that the forum has a moral compass.
    I agree with your assessment about Biax, I think he's a sweetheart--but I also presume he's not thrilled with his earlier emoticon choice right now. (It should be noted that his was the first response, i.e. before there was clarification that the OP was indeed mentally ill.)

    However, I fail to see your evidence for here:
    Again I am responding to what I have read in this thread where it is clearly implied that we all as forum members should somehow be able to identify any posting by a mentally ill person as such
    given that the OP you're talking about clearly stated it was about the specific thread you weren't a part of
    I've just been reading a thread that seems to have been cut off.

    But what struck me was the emotional cruelty that was being openly shown to someone who is mentally ill.
    That is to say, this thread topic is firstly about the other thread, and secondly about group bullying as a generalized concept.
    group bullying of a vulnerable person... It was mob psychology.

    But the question is why.

    We have had group bullying here before. Do superstitions like MBTI and astrology contribute to group bullying?
    Victor is talking about (a) the one specific thread or (b) group bullying of vulnerable people in general.

    Therefore I have a problem with your reply here, because you're unintentionally misdirecting an important and reasonable conversation--you're adding tone and eye-rolling to a strawman you created by not reading carefully and by not being in the first thread. And then you're taking responsibility for explaining to others what's going on when you aren't reading carefully and you weren't in the first thread.
    Apparently forum members should be able to clinically evaluate other posters to determine weather or not they are mentally ill...If a forum member does not take responsibility for the health of members they may or may not know and responds to them with posts deemed cruel and thoughtless they deserve a dressing down for their insensitivity. Make sense?
    I am not trying to claim moral superiority. I am trying to have a serious conversation about human decency, and your quote here is the eye-rolling equivalent that's derailing the objective of the OP.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

  7. #47
    Senior Member Hirsch63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj
    Posts
    525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Well, while I personally participated in the thread, I assuredly would not have done so had it occurred to me that I was actually tormenting this person.
    But what struck me was the emotional cruelty that was being openly shown to someone who is mentally ill.

    But I think it is a wake up sign to see so many emotionally cruel to a person with a mental illness.

    ..... to be emotionally cruel to a mentally ill person is a very low act.

    I do think the emotional cruelty is unintentional - but that only makes it worse.

    ....It is unintentional because it is mob psychology

    So how does it feel to be indentified as a tormentor of the helpless? Because you were not fast enough to identify the disposition of a forum member? What? You do not have the advantage of six years or even six days of acqaintance? This is no excuse, no plausible denial...you have been judged. Is the OP interested in defending a vulnerable friend or dispensing gratuitous pot shots at some members who were apparently blind-sided by this poster given the prank-like nature of some forum posting on the Internet? We don't know anything more about this unfortunate poster. We have not heard from them how they felt by the exchange. We know the OP is palpably disappointed and perhaps angry and hurt by what was a deliberate persecution of his long-time friend by an insensitive mob. Meanwhile, how is the victim?
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

  8. #48
    Was E.laur Laurie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp
    Posts
    6,075

    Default

    Who are we even talking about? Why was this person posting on forum (where people have been outright cruel before) during an episode?

    I'm only asking because I can not figure out why this thread was made. To bring it up again instead of letting it die? To make people feel bad because someone on the net might was acting weird and they responded? I might as well ask since the thread is being rehashed anyway.

  9. #49
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Cliffnotes version:

    (1) OP starts a thread that leaves mentally healthy readers with two options: decide if the OP is a paranoid schizophrenic having a psychotic episode, or decide if the OP is pretending to be a paranoid schizophrenic having a psychotic episode.

    (2) The first person who replied left a single emoticon performing the spin around their ear symbolizing "crazy" (which I read to be a "is this for realz?" comment rather than ill intent)

    (3) People commented about mental issues, Magic Sponge said this is super depressing to watch and basically bowed out of the thread after people were like "geez i can think of 100 more depressing things" because he said it wasn't a matter to take so lightheartedly

    (4) OP made another comment still clearly in the same mental state, and thread members basically used OPs mental health as funny fodder for issues on the topic but did so in a way that, IMO, was disrespectful (which I don't believe they had ill intent, but I do believe they limboed under the bar of treating a fellow human with basic human decency)

    What is your goal in this thread?

  10. #50
    On a mission Usehername's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hirsch63 View Post
    But what struck me was the emotional cruelty that was being openly shown to someone who is mentally ill.

    But I think it is a wake up sign to see so many emotionally cruel to a person with a mental illness.

    ..... to be emotionally cruel to a mentally ill person is a very low act.

    I do think the emotional cruelty is unintentional - but that only makes it worse.

    ....It is unintentional because it is mob psychology

    So how does it feel to be indentified as a tormentor of the helpless? Because you were not fast enough to identify the disposition of a forum member? What? You do not have the advantage of six years or even six days of acqaintance? This is no excuse, no plausible denial...you have been judged. Is the OP interested in defending a vulnerable friend or dispensing gratuitous pot shots at some members who were apparently blind-sided by this poster given the prank-like nature of some forum posting on the Internet? We don't know anything more about this unfortunate poster. We have not heard from them how they felt by the exchange. We know the OP is palpably disappointed and perhaps angry and hurt by what was a deliberate persecution of his long-time friend by an insensitive mob. Meanwhile, how is the victim?
    Again--you're still not understanding what happened because you weren't there and, again, you're making incorrect assumptions.

    As someone who was there, I think this still applies:
    I think Marma makes a good point about posters not knowing what to do with a clear psychotic episode (or given that this is online people lack clues to know what is a joke and what is a real situation), but I don't think most of the posts on that thread were full of grace and respect. The mentally unhealthy OP was mocked, even if it was not with ill intent.

    If I was that poster and in a stretch of mental clarity I came back to read that thread, I would be pretty appalled with the responses to me while I was having a psychotic episode. It would be seriously depressing. I would feel terribly alone and dehumanized.

    On the whole, I don't think the people who replied to that thread were intentionally cruel, and I agree that people were trying to deal with a situation they didn't know how to respond to. But does our motive for our behaviour matter? I think motive matters to some degree, but I also think that regardless of motive we ought to take responsibility for our actions.
    I don't think Marma was ill-intended; I thought she made some good points in the thread. But ultimately the thread originated from someone having a psychotic episode, and some of the comments on there were careless and lacking in the kind of spirit that one would hope would be extended to an individual in as scary a mental place as the one that they were clearly in.

    I, again, do think your choice to spell out for Elaur with such unnecessary sarcasm what happened, given your lack of familiarity with the situation, was also careless--I think you have great intentions, but I also think your choice of words cast unnecessary problems onto Victor, and I think they misdirected away from a very important (and, IMO, relevant) discussion that he wanted to start because he was upset. Your lack of familiarity with the situation combined with your dripping sarcasm and assumed authoritative role created a strawman that moved us away from a relevant discussion.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-08-2014, 06:58 PM
  2. Mentally and emotionally about to explode. Disorder? Type?
    By phobosdiemos in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-27-2009, 08:00 AM
  3. [INTJ] Un-Emotional to the point of ignoring reactive instinct?
    By Misty_Mountain_Rose in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-09-2008, 09:47 AM
  4. In China, Brain Surgery is Pushed on the Mentally Ill
    By heart in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-22-2008, 12:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO