12 Last

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Default The Babylonian origins of Christmas

Does it ruin everything for you?

I started mass chaos when I corrected my German teacher about the origins of the Christmas tree; it's not a big deal. Who cares if Christians copied some old tradition. It's the thought that counts

Also, I read a biblical text condemning the Christmas tree (I'm an atheist) and now my mother is horrified. People need to relax~

In conclusion, who cares if some dude had sex with his mother and lied about it. It's all 'bout the spirit. I love me some Christmas
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Yeah, Christianity also borrowed the concept of the Messiah, the resurrection, and final judgment from religions like Zoroastrianism, one of the earliest religions in the world. Judaism and Islam aren't totally unique either.

The right people aren't getting credit for these ideas, the way I see it. I guess that's the history of ideas though: mixing and re-using the same ones and putting a new wrapping on it.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Yeah, Christianity also borrowed the concept of the Messiah, the resurrection, and final judgment from religions like Zoroastrianism, one of the earliest religions in the world. Judaism and Islam aren't totally unique either.

The right people aren't getting credit for these ideas, the way I see it. I guess that's the history of ideas though: mixing and re-using the same ones and putting a new wrapping on it.
    Well, if you think about... can you imagine how people would feel if they realized that the Christmas tree was used in the celebration of Nimrod? A man who killed his father, married his mother (whose birthday is on Easter) and impregnated her? It's much more socially acceptable to say that it is from Germany. It has none of those icky ties to ancient Paganism. Also, the story of Nimrod/Baal/etc. is eerily similar to the story of Christ [birthday]. It would exposed too much information. And then that would just lead to the real origin of Easter, birthdays, may day, etc. It's a chain of events that no one really wants to know.
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by paperoceans View Post
    Well, if you think about... can you imagine how people would feel if they realized that the Christmas tree was used in the celebration of Nimrod? A man who killed his father, married his mother (whose birthday is on Easter) and impregnated her? It's much more socially acceptable to say that it is from Germany. It has none of those icky ties to ancient Paganism. Also, the story of Nimrod/Baal/etc. is eerily similar to the story of Christ [birthday]. It would exposed too much information. And then that would just lead to the real origin of Easter, birthdays, may day, etc. It's a chain of events that no one really wants to know.
    I don't blame them. It challenges the whole basis and authenticity of the religion and it really takes the rug from out under biblical literalism.

It kinda sucks that you can't talk about it without being a 'hateful atheist' to a lot of people; the most distrusted minority group in the US. Because it's super relevant history.

Sniffles

So what's your point here?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    So what's your point here?
    Someone rides the short bus.

Read my Blog.

Sniffles

What's really the point of trying to argue that Christmas trees came from Babylon instead of Germany? Especially of all places in a German class. Yes the tradition of Christmas trees as we know them did originate from Germany. Whether or not the Babylonians had parallel traditions of decorating trees is really a moot point.

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

Quote Originally Posted by paperoceans View Post
    Does it ruin everything for you?
    Nope,... I celebrate winter solstice, and if I want to thank other people for their good deeds from throughout the year, I'll do it on their birthday...
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Correcting your teacher in class is a good way to completely close his/her ears to your point and resent you. If you really care about the truth coming out, you provide documentation and privately give it to the teacher. Otherwise it comes off as you trying to one up them and make them look bad in front of a group of people. At best, that is perceived as immature behaviour.

I don't really see how the whole Nimrod story pulls the rug out from under the basis of Christianity. It is a well known fact that the church adopted many pagan customs and festivals and white washed them. I don't think that was a particularly good move. However in my own life, decorating a tree has nothing to do with either Nimrod or with the Catholic church and so I don't feel a bit guilty about doing so. Same with decorating Easter eggs.

I am interested however in any other sources you have re the Babylonian connection. The only thing I have read is Hisslop's book, which many do not feel is a reliable source. I believe there are strong connections there between the history of the Catholic church and the Babylonian traditions/religion. However, I do feel that there is enough separate historical documentation of the historical veracity/authenticity of Scripture to not throw that out along with (what became) the Catholic church's corruption over the centuries.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

If you live in the Northern Hemisphere, chances are you have a celebration around the Winter Solstice. It's probably a community response to the collective seasonal affective disorder everyone has at that time.