User Tag List

First 678910 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

No, NO ONE touches my diary!

I'm not that protective of other things that I write, but there's a series of diaries that I have kept on and off for 12 years and if anyone touched any of those we're through!

Patron Saint Of Smileys Gloriana's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

Yeah, I have kept public blogs/journals on and off for years. I don't tend to share anything 'raw' in those blogs, I share experiences and such only after I've gained perspective, and feel it's 'sorted out'. I don't tend to openly share a lot of my problems or challenges I'm facing. Partly because I just innately feel I must tackle things myself, and partly because my 'process' when I'm in the throes of raw emotion tends to be long, rambling, complex, etc. and not anything I'd expect anyone to read through. Also, the act of writing it out tends to help me figure out how I really feel and what I need to do anyway, so it seems redundant to post it anywhere.

I had my private journals read by a friend of mine when I was a teenager. She claimed it was because she was 'worried' about me and felt it was 'her only choice' when in reality, she rarely asked me anything about how I was feeling, what was going on with me, etc. The only thing she had to say about my journals was ripping me a new one and calling me names for anything negative I said about HER. She actually called me out for writing in my journal on her birthday, she tried to use that to say it was proof I didn't care about her.

I felt violated in a way that is hard to describe. Not only that she read something so personal, but that she used it to criticize me. I can't describe how angry I was, especially because she just didn't acknowledge anything she had done was a violation of trust at all. I was not adept at conflict back then, I stood up to her because I truly felt she had done me wrong but I still remember my heart pounding, feeling nauseous, and being unable to sleep that night because I actually didn't let something go or take the guilt myself for once. I was so incredibly hurt and then angry.

I put my journals under lock and key after that. After I switched from handwritten journals I started keeping them in password protected folders. I've met people who seem to WANT people to read them, and seem to view journals as only being kept BECAUSE the writer WANTS someone to read them. I cringe at that because I never want anyone reading anything I don't share willingly.
    "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you...amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

Banned
    MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    5w4

If I write something down, I expect people to read it.

MBTI
    I__P
    Enneagram
    4 sp

Hmm...I don't have a diary, but if I'd write down something really private, and perhaps my mother or someone else from my family would read it...I would probably go insane and seriously consider murdering them as the only option. But I probably wouldn't manage to do that, and then I'd break down and get all depressed for years.

...honestly though, once my aunt and mother had found some book that my aunt had once given to me for birthday, it was some silly thing about typical teenage stuff that had little to do with me really. I had then, when reading it, for some ridiculous reason, written my thoughts on the things the book said on it's pages, critiquing it, and mocking it. Somehow, years later, when cleaning my room I had put it in the trash because it was useless. Somehow, I've no idea how, it had then ended up back to my aunt, and she had read those stupid things I had written, and, worried, had shown it to my mother. She then one day told me about it and how she was worried about me over it, I didn't first get what she was talking about as this book was just some random unimportant thing, but once I realized I felt so...well, I don't know how to describe it. But I felt like nothing mattered anymore, since she now knew some of my true thoughts. Weird. I convinced her that those writings had been there already and I hadn't written then, and then it was over.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Teh annoying/boring.

garbage

I've got some lingering paranoia about this in the back of my mind. Basically, what I've ended up doing is writing things in such a way that I can go back and understand them.. or at least put myself in the same frame of mind that I was in that day. So, my journal is more about reminders than anything.

There's some embarrassing or incriminating stuff in there, but I don't end up writing everything.

I'd be pretty pissed off if someone breached that privacy, probably to the point of never speaking to them again. We're all entitled to a little bit of our own world

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Would depend, family I'd be annoyed but it wouldnt be a big deal, work people it would be disasterous, clients disasterous, that said I'm pretty guarded and self-censorous so I'd imagine there wouldnt be much in the way of scandal and revelations. I just write in a sort of cathartic, stream of consciousness way.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I'd probably read it to them, and give them cookies to munch on.

That is, if I kept a diary.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

I am not good at keeping a diary - tried, failed miserably.

But, hypothetically speaking, if someone read my diary, I'd probably make my next entry a doozy, featuring them as the focus.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Since I'm rather open about what boys I think are teh cutest, they really wouldn't learn much.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

TELL MOMMY!

Or do what Mister Eyebrows does.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Eyebrows View Post
    I've got some lingering paranoia about this in the back of my mind. Basically, what I've ended up doing is writing things in such a way that I can go back and understand them.. or at least put myself in the same frame of mind that I was in that day. So, my journal is more about reminders than anything.
    That's essentially what my blog is (what I consider my "diary" at the moment): meshed up, well-written nonsense that's only decipherable to me. In that guise I have the freedom to express myself & vent all I want without feeling too EMOtional. Plus, each post is dated, and that gives me a frame of mind if I want to refer to it some time in the future. Win-win.